London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post is not finished it is not edited of checked
Hampton Court Road
Bushy Park . ‘Bushie Parke’ 1650, ‘Bushey Parke’ 1667,
Bushy Park 1816, probably self-explanatory, 'parkland with bushes', from Middle English ‘busshi’.
It is due to William III and his gardeners George London
and Henry Wise that the Home Park and Bushy Park are now the best places in
England to remember the grandeur of Versailles. The scheme was approved in 1689
and planting began immediately. A mile-long avenue was laid out through Bushy
Park, ending in a 'wilderness' geometrically planted about 1714 on the side of
the palace (the site where Wren at first hoped to have his cour d'honneur). A
true son of the Renaissance, Sir Christopher Wren was a prodigious all-rounder.
Although best known as an architect, he was also a mathematician, artist,
astronomer and Member of Parliament. As Surveyor-General of the Royal Works, he
also turned his hand to landscape gardening, and Bushy Park is a monument to
this particular facet of his genius. His landscaping was in the grand manner;
it was the overall effect rather than the intimate detail, which was his main
concern. Today, Bushy Park is a perfect spot for a short ramble. The avenues of
chestnuts and limes give a wooded appearance to the park, the quiet ponds and
the plantations add variety to the flat landscape, and a large herd of deer
roams at will. Teddington Hockey Club plays in the park since 1871 and is the
world’s oldest continuous hockey club.In the Second World War the park was Camp Griffiths where Eisenhower
made his plans for D Day and lived in a cottage on site.
Chestnut Avenue built as a grand approach to
William III’s new north wing at Hampton Court, which was never built. Planned by Wren as a majestic new approach to
Hampton Court Palace, mile-long avenue, backed by rows of limes, is a glorious
sight on Chestnut Sunday in early May. This is the date on which the blossom is
'officially' considered to be at its best. Thousands of Londoners used to make
a trip to see the blossom, but since the war, the popularity of Chestnut Sunday
has declined? Wren's North Court to the palace and the new approach from Bushy
Park were unfortunately abandoned by Queen Anne, leaving the Chestnut Avenue
with little meaning or purpose. Opposite the Lion Gate
the Grand Avenue by London and Wise begins, leading to the Diana Fountain. The
avenue has two central rows of chestnut trees 168 ft from each other, and
outside them four rows of lime trees on each side. The chestnut trees are 42 ft
apart, another 42 ft separates them from the first line of lime trees, and
another 42 ft lies between rows one and two of these. Rows two and three have
66 ft in between, rows three and four again 42 ft.
Avenue of limes from the
'Diana Fountain' towards Hampton - part of Wren's scheme for the park
Cobblers Walk recalls Hampton Wick shoemaker Timothy Bennett’s campaign
in the 1750s for public access – he wrote a play about it
Diana Fountain. The
open space and pond here is the central feature of Wren's plan. Arms of limes
radiate towards Hampton and Hampton Wick. Fanelli's statue is not part of
Wren's scheme and might have offended his sense of proportion. In fact this is
more probably Venus, and she formerly stood in the Privy Garden at Hampton
Court, where her qualities could be seen and admired. She was moved to the
present site in the first years of the 18th century, and her beauty is lost in
the great expanse of the 400 foot diameter pond. . The
main avenue is interrupted about three- quarters down its length by a large
circular pond in which in 1713 the bronze statue was placed on a high (but not
high enough) rusticated pedestal. The basin, its pedestal decorated with
frostwork, was made c. 1699. A statue by Nost was intended, but after William's
death it was decided to re-use the fountain which Charles I had erected in the
Privy Garden. This was an elaborate affair with bronze sea monsters and putti,
surmounted by a figure of Arethusa, designed, according to Evelyn, by Fanelli.
It had been much altered in 1689-94 by Edward Pierce, when some of the figures
were recast, and was further rearranged when it was re-erected in Bushy Park by
Wren. The figures of the boys were recast at this time. The size of the figures
may have been right for their original position; in Bushy Park they are far too
small and the elegant, smooth workmanship can only be appreciated by those
provided with field-glasses. It is uncertain whether the misnamed figure of
Diana reflects Fanelli's original.
Of the Master of
the Horse, in charge of the Royal Stud Farm
Plantation, waterfall and fountain, stump.
Woodland Garden with swamp cypress like broken
Waterhouse Pond, where the course of the Longford
River made by Charles I divides.
House on the overflow. A decorative brick stucco
house, rebuilt in the c 19.
Bridge -an attractive brick bridge with three
Upper Lodge, rebuilt in the early c 18, of which
only the stables and brew house survive, a neat utilitarian structure in the
late Wren style. Was a home for Canadian convalescents in First World War.Has become the Bushey Park History Centre.
Leg of Mutton Pond So called from its shape.
Longford River cut in late 1630s to provide fresh water
for Hampton Court.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by