Bulstrode Camp

 This post has not been finished, checked or edited

Post to the west Bulstrode Park

Post to the north Gerrards Cross Austinwood

Post to the east Gerrards Cross Station

Post to the south Gerrards Cross Camp Road


Bull Lane
Ancient Lane which used to cross the Oxford Road and go across Bulstrode Park and continued as Hedgerley Lane. Probably diverted by the Earl of Portland in 1707.  It was here that the parish boundary changed from Chalfont St.Peter and Fulmer. 
Original boundary stones to the new parish of Gerrards Cross marked GV 1860

Bulstrode Way
Land near Latchmoor Pond bought by built by Hampton Gilks and Moon in 1906 from the owners of Latchmoor Villa, from an owner of Marsham Lodge and from the Gurneys.  They then laid out the road
Camp Road
Bulstrode Camp.  Hill fort.

Gerrards Cross
The actual cross has been taken as where the road from Slough crosses the Oxford Road but it is more likely to have been west of this where Bull Lane crossed at the Bull Inn and Latchmoor Pond.

Layters Way
Developed by Hampton Gilks and Moon
Oxford Road

Latchmoor Pond.  Drinking water for travellers and their horses.   Latch means bog.  The pond gives its name to Latchmoor Field on which the modern town is built. 
Bull Inn. Previously the Oxford Arms.   On 1686 map.  Good stop to get away from the highwaymen. Extended in 1735.  Not really a coaching inn, a stop for private coaches and known to the Old Berkeley Hunt.  In the early 19th was sold to Weller’s Amersham Brewery.  In 1918 closed and used as staff accommodation for the park, but in 1932 reopened as a pub and it was extended again.  Now a hotel with 123 bedrooms. 
The Golden Cross. Closed in the late 19th
Raylands Mead originally called Woodbank.  This was a school founded by the Earl of Portland for his tenants’ children.  This was closed when Bulstrode was sold in 1810 and became a house for William Gaskell and successive tenants until in 1906 it was the home of Sam Fay who was General Manager of the Great Central Railway.  In the 1920s it was renamed by Eardley-Wilmot who lived there until the 1960s. It was demolished in 1980.
Lodge to Orchehill House
New Pond Cottages belonged to the Bulstrode Estate. 
Bulstrode Court flats on the site of Heathfield 1887. demolished 1960s
Post Office and smithy. Run until 1836 by William Hunt and replaced around 1907.
Oxford Road Garage built in 1931 on the site of Claude Baldwin building yard which itself was on the site of the old smithy. 

Top Park
Laid out to plans for Sir John Ramsden in 1934 who intended to turn the camp into a golf course. 
Stoneygaye Burgess Holden and Watson 1936

Valley Way
Laid out to plans for Sir John Ramsden in 1934 who intended to turn the camp into a golf course. 

West Common Road
Walpole House.  One of a number of cottages gentrified in the 18th and 19th .  Once known as Latchmoor House and then Belle Vue and named Walpole House in 1941. The resident in 1800 was William Beckwith and then had a succession of owners and tenants including the Duke’s agent and a major farmer as well as a retired ribbon manufacturer.  In 1912 it was the home of Professor Brerton and then by author Edward O’Brien.  In 1941 Jan Smit a Dutch diamond merchant renamed it after HMS Walpole which had rescued himself and his hoard of industrial diamonds in the Channel.
Old Vicarage.  This was a farmhouse later renamed Latchmoor Cottage. Then when the Vicar moved in it was the Vicarage but since divided.  In 1876 it was swapped as the Vicarage with Watercroft House and Latchmoor Cottage became  the home of landscape artist Peter Graham who kept highland cattle. By 1900 portrait painter Frederick Cullen lived there and his family stayed until 1939.
Latchmoor House.  Another old farmhouse with a early 19th posh façade. In the 1830s owned by Joseph Shackell and his family renamed it Latchmoor Cottage when next door became the Vicarage.There were various tenants in 1911 Arthur Saunders built an extension.  When Walpole House was named by Jan Smit the residents here took over the name of Latchmoor House.
Waterside.  Another small farmhouse rebuilt in the 19th as a posh residence by a John Kemp and called Latchmoor Villa.  It was renamed Waterside in 1924


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town

Bromley by Bow