London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked
Continuation of Broad Street from Ripple Street
Halbutt Street School
old building kept when the estate was built
Hunters Hall Cottages,
(R.C.). 1934 by W.C. Mangan.
tracks were laid down the centre of these avenuesto
transport building materials on to the estate from the river,their line still represented by the generous grass
verges of thecompleted design.
Kingsley Hall. School, Church and Community Centre. A branch
of the settlement founded in Bromley-by-Bow and established by residents of the
estate who had been moved from there.
Children’s House. Nursery School. 1930-1. designedin 1925-6 by C. Cowles-Voysey, who also
designed the nursery school in Bromley-by-Bow. Single storey with central block
and low classrooms with pantiled roofs. open veranda. Opened by ishbel
Macdonald in 1932. The first recognised nursery school on a new estate.
Church. 1938-9. Strictly austere in
pale brick, - Big extension for Community
Centre by Edward D. Mills and Partners, 1957-8.
Sydney Russell Comprehensive, the
former County High School, by John Stuart 1936-7-Later additions
including a striking Online Centre and Creche by Cottrell & Vermeulen 2003. Steel screen
by Simon Patterson with a map of the world, manufactured at Ford, Dagenham
Estate design with decorative use of brickand
tile was combined with nods to the Essex vernacular in theuse of pantiles, weatherboarding and even, to a very
limiteddegree, timber framing
Tree, byC.C. Winmill and EG.
Newnham, 1933, evokes a late c17 doublepile
house in red brick with low wings and steeply pitched roofwith big square dormers.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by