London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Was it called ‘Becontree’
not ‘Beacontree’ to fit it on to bus blinds?
‘Genteel neo-Georgian’ not
conducive to inebriety.It was
impossible to have such a lot of people and not build on urban principlesBuilt 1921- 1972 by the4 LCC and the largest of all the
interwar LCC's out-county estates which at its creation crossed theborders of Barking, Dagenham and Ilford. The LCC recruitedTopham Forrest, from Essex County Council, as Chief
Architect to draw up and implement the plans and it was finished by his
successor, E. P. Wheeler. The idea was to house 120,000 in 24,000 terraced
houses on asite which was largely
arable land and market gardens
manor houses, respectfully kept, as council offices, now as a museum. Between 1926-94,000 houses per annum were built. It
continued after the war designed by
The 1921 plans were radical, with three areas leading to a central Civic Centre. Cul-de-sacswerea new experiment, referred to by planners as 'banjos'
fortheir shape. This was economic but limited easy
passage of residents around the estate. socially mixed development was the
ambitionbut the percentage of
private housing was minimal andconcentrated in the
Barking area. The dictates of speed made for endless repetition of basictypes so that different partsof the estate are scarcely distinguishable. at the
junctions of streets are semi-detached pairs angled to the street set back
behind triangular greens with signs forbidding ball games. Concreteconstruction was used with traditional brick, androughcast rendering. Gardens back and front - now paved over - were seen as essential and an
encouragement to refrain from the pub. Blocks of flats in mansard-roofed blocks with open arched entrances were introduced
in the early 1930s.The biggest omission
was the lack of a commercial and civic
centre. the Council chose instead to encourage corner shops.Newpubs
had to follow strict restrictions set down bythe
LCC to encourage family space but were scarce and very large. Landscaping was
minimal. churches were allocated space in the LCC's plansand Permanentbuildings,
succeeded temporary ones.
came from Limehouse – and there would have been no employment without Fords.
In 1921 the London County Council
started work on the Becontree housing estate. The Ilford portion of this,
mostly completed by 1926, comprised only 10 per cent. of the whole, but it was a
substantial addition to the town: some 2,500 houses and people, in the
Becontree Avenue area.Private building
also went on rapidly between the World Wars
founded before 1933 in temporary
premises in Becontree Avenue, amalgamated in 1949 with that of Barking. In 1954 the
Barking and Becontree Synagogue was built on the Becontree Avenue site.
church.Hicks promoted the foundation of the Becontree Avenue Baptistchurch.The small hall was burnt down in 1952
and replaced by a Nissen hut. A permanent church was opened in 1959.
Bennet’s Castle Lane,
Old lane, was once called
‘Castle Lane’.Bennetts Castle Farmhouse was built in 1618,
although Castle Field was known as such as early as 1440.
Methodist Church.Becontree Wesleyan central hall, was built in 1925 at a cost of £21,000,
of which £10,000 was given by Joseph Rank. It included a main hall seating
1,000, and two smaller halls. It is built of brown brick with red-brick dressings, in a
neo-Georgian style. The main hall, surmounted by a cupola, is flanked by lower
ancillary buildings. The initial local membership was small but within three
months this had increased to 100. In 1940 the hall was transferred from the
Ilford circuit to the East Ham Mission.
Church.Designed by Arthur C. Blomfield & A.J. Driver, 1926-7 and it was the first
permanent church on the estate built with the help of funds from the sale of
St. Jude's, ;Whitechapel.. years.
dated 1926. Gable over the door and tile work.
Old lane running to
The Royal Oak
Henry Green School
Pentecostal Church, Former Regent Cinema, 1930 by Lewis Solomon & Son.
Entrance framed beneath an ebullient faience pediment with gargantuan urnscormer wldegraver
Church.R.C.,Built in 1932-3 by GeoffreyRaymond
of Scales & Raymond.
St. Vincent's Roman
Catholic primary Schools..1929.extended with an entrance block. Colourful nursery extension by Cottrell
Vermeulen, 2000.It was granted Aided status in 1951, and in in 1was
re-organized for juniors and infants,
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o