London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Becontree- Valance Park
This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked
Valence Library, 1937 by EC. Lloyd,
Dagenham Council Engineer and Surveyor is
Becontree Day Hospital, 1930 as
Dagenham UDC's clinic for the estate. Probably by T.K M Francis, the Council
Becontree Heath Estate
Marks the progression towards a more urban scale with the introduction of three H-shaped seventeen-storey
towers by the Borough Architect M. Maybury, 1966-70.
Post Office and Sorting Office, 1934
by F.A. Llewellyn of H.M. Office Works, in quiet Tudor. Restored in 2004.
Means cold spring,
was also called Blackheath
First houses in 1900
Chigwell High Road
Hainault forest boundary stone
Was a small green Used as the nucleus of a shopping centre
by the Becontree planners
Out patents department of
Five Elms Road
White Cottage dated from before the
St.Mary 1934-5 by Welch, Cachemaille-Day andLander. The organ came from Ram's Chapel, Hackney.
The old lane from Ilford to Hornchurch and Upminster. A
road ran east-west through the
parish, and from early times was of more than local importance; It is recorded
from 1339, and may have been much older. This road ran from Hornchurch through
Becontree Heath to Ilford village, and originally joined Barking Lane just
south of the main Colchester Road. The western end of Green Lane was diverted
to its present course at the beginning of the 19th century when,In 1814 John Thompson, then consolidating his
Clements estate,was authorized by the
manor court to inclose the section of the lane lying between his mansion and
his farmhouse, and then an order diverting the lane north into High Road – this
is the length of Green Lane north of Sunnyside Road. In 1826 a group of local
inhabitants tried to throw open the inclosed lane by force: they were opposed
by Thompson's brickfield workers, and the Riot Act was read. The Essex Assizes
and later the King's Bench, found the diversion was illegal.
Is old lane running from Halbutt Lane
St. Christopher temporary churchopened in 1931.
Ran for years by Wilkin, for Tiptree jam
May and Baker since 1934
Valence House & Park Named from
‘Valans’ 1456, ‘Vallance’ 1566, ‘Valence’ 1594, a manorial name indicating the
estate of the family of Aymer de Valence, Earl of Pembroke, who inherited the
manor in 1309. the surname is from one of the places called Valence in France. The present
house is mainly 17th century but occupies a medieval moated site.
Valence House.Museum and local studies centre with
big collection Moated manor house
existed on this site but it takes its name from early c14 tenants Valence..17th moated
medieval manor house.timber-framed
building Owned by St. Andrew’s Hospital in London for ‘stewardship of
Oriel’.Fanshawe family.Irregular, gabled. staircase 1700.Named for Aylmer de Valance, Earl of Pembroke No detailed record is given until 1649 when a
list for the Bonham family details a nine-room house that would have been
larger than the present L-shaped building. After expansion, the building was
reduced progressively in the c19, before extension to its present form in
It was completed by the L.C.C as their headquarters during construction of the
estate and extended in 1928-9 by Dagenham UDC for its offices and council
chamber1956 When Becontree first
built Dagenham Council, with authority over the majority of theestate, was forced to use Valence House for its
offices because L.C.C provided nothing. The only building of genuine historic and architectural interest in
Becontree. Council depot and window factory.
Rendered and even in appearance, the house is an accumulation of phases, the
understanding of which it has been claimed, refused entry to the Surveyor of
the Royal Commissioner of Monuments in 1921. Valence House is one of the few original buildings to
construction of the Becontree Estate. The presentbuilding
is a moated seventeenth century manor house, oncethe
most important manor in the Borough, and now housescouncil offices and a local history museum and
library. Thehouse, and the park
lying to the south, were purchased in 192Eby
the Borough from the London County Council, who hadthemselves acquired them as part of the Estate
development.The area of wildlife
interest is around the moat close to thehouse.
The rest of the park consists of lawns and immatureornamental trees.The
north and east sides of the moat remain as afairly
natural-looking pond, with earth banks reinforced withwooden sheeting in places. The moat is used byan angling club, but without too much disturbance to
early 1992 the moat was drained and desilted. It will probably take several months to refill naturally from
the water table of the
surrounding gravel. The angling club plan to restock
the moat with fish, including tench, roach and rudd, and to introduce additional marginal vegetation. The gardens of the house, including the moat, are
fenced off separately from
the park, but visitors to the house can gain access
through a gate. Park is lawns and ornamental
Temporary church by EdwardMeredith, erected
1931. Its nave now roughcast was retainedwhen
a brick chancel, lady chapel and vestry were erected in1958-9, by J.J. Crowe of Romford. Bellcote.
Old lane running from
Becontree Heath to Marks Gate via Chadwell Heath.Whalebones set up in the road there.
Old lane from Dagenham joining Oxlow Lane at Five Elms
North of Wood Lane was Five Elms Wood
Becontree Heath Methodist
Beacontree Heath School
Bishop Ward School
Church, 1932 by C.J. Names in the estatestyle
of red brick with pointed gable end and two low aislesArched fanlight over the door.
The Three Travellers, pub of c. 1899 with half-timbered gables and a domed corner turret.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by