London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked
Lay at the
southernmost entrance to HainaultForest. Marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1883, earlier ‘Aldborough
Hacche’ c.1490, ‘Aberryhatche’ 17th century, ‘Abury Hatch’ 1805. It is probably
a manorial name from the ‘Alborgh’ or ‘Albourgh’ family mentioned in 14th
and 15th records, with Old English-'a hatch gate' originally
giving access to Hainault Forest. ‘Aberry’ or ‘Abury’ represent the old local
pronunciation of the name. Forest gate held by the ‘Albourgh family'. John
and Stephen Albourgh are referred to in documents of the early fourteenth
century; the family possibly originated in one of the several places called
Albury in Hertfordshire
It was a
manorial estate, with two farms, formed by the Barnes family out of part of Barking Abbey's lands after the Dissolution. The
estate was divided in two in 1668 and descended through a succession of
inheritors and purchasers, and part sold tothe
Crown in 1828, which acquired the remainder in 1929 for airport, and old houses sold to City as part
of sale of Hainault Forest. In thattime the
farmhouses were improved and the parish church andschools erected. In the 1930 the estate passed to
Ilford BoroughCouncil and the creep
of suburbia began
Market garden in the 1860s. Mr.
Walters, Grew turnips, followed by oats, clover, and wheat or rye, the stubble
of which was grazed in time for potatoes or turnips to be planted.
This was one of the entry
points to Hainault Forest. Hatches or gates here, the boundary marked with
hedges and rows of stones.
Aldeburgh Road North
Garden and gazebo of Clock
House, derelict when he wrote in 1952, site of part of the mansion
the Hainault Forest Inclosure Act (1851) land was set aside for the erection of
a church. In 1861 the Commissioners of Woods and Forests agreed to give £1,000
for a building that would take the place of the chapel at Aldborough Hatch,
continue the annual payment of £20 towards the salary of the incumbent. In 1863
the church was built,designed by Arthur
Ashpitel in a 13th style, and built with stone which had previously
formed part of Westminster Bridge. S
ChurchHall. Former School, 1867, closed 1912. single-'storey 20thextensions on each side.
Aldeborough Hatch farmhouse
house in the c18demolished in the c9
and replaced. 1855-7 by modestsuccessors built by
the Crown, whose badge it wears
Aldborough House Farm.Formerly its
chapel and a chapel of ease for the farm labourersperhaps built in 1728 at the same time as the
farmhouse towhich it was attached.
Later used as a fowl house but has been converted, extended and over restored.Services were held here until 1863 when St Peter's
Church was opened.
Chapel at Aldenborough Hatch – the
manor belonged in the mid-17th to Edward Kighley who was a
Presbyterian minister preaching to a local population of 200.
Methodist Church.Church now in the former school.1934.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by