Colne flows south westwards
Post to the east London Colney
Post to the west Napsbury
Colney Lakes Nature Reserve
is made up of three lakes which are the result of gravel extraction and donated
to the trust by Lafarge in 1977.
Lake fed by the River Colne which flows through it. Otters are known to pass through.
It is used as an angling resource.
Lake which is still and deep
Lake – this is the smallest and is part marshy woodland. Used for carp fishing
of Sewage Works built by St. Albans Rural District Council
Station. This is now closed
Lion Pub. This is a 17th building with a timber frame and painted
brick outside. Alongside is a 20th hall. Inside are ground glass windows
and signage for Truman’s Brewery.
Embatool House. This is the head office of a group
of companies set up in 1953 by F.J. Pistol and it remains a family business.
They market engineering components with a speciality in pharmaceutical
equipment. This was formerly the site of a printing works.
Memorial. This commemorates 52 local residents
killed or missing in the Great War and another 24 from the Second World War.
chapel. In 1812, after the formation of the Hertfordshire Union of Baptists, a
preaching station was established in London Colney. In In 1875 a purpose built
chapel was built in the High Street and this remained until 1960 when it was
replaced in Kings Road. The site is now the site of the housing in Richardson
Lion. The pub closed in late 2009, and
by August 2011 the outbuildings beyond the pub had been demolished and new
houses were being built. The pub itself is due to be converted into a house.
Colney Bridge. Carrying the Colne under the road. Under the bridge is a pale
yellow graduated strip as a water level gauge board. There was previously a
duty post. This is on the east side of the road, alongside the bridge to the
Colney Chapel. This is on an oval shaped island surrounded by a moat and
appears to have been a chantry chapel to St. John the Baptist. The earliest
information is from the 12th when it was attached to the manor of
Shenley. It was not used after 1571. The moat is dry but of the two paths onto
the island one is across a modern concrete bridge. The foundations of the
chapel are at the east end and were partly restored in the 1920's apparently on
the line of the original chapel. There is
also a circular pond, now dry with a modern brick built causeway across it. as part
of the, now closed, nearby Roman Catholic religious institution a shrine was
built here because It is said that as an island in the river Colne it was where
St. Alban hid before his arrest and execution.
Colney Cottages. Bittleston Ltd. Precision Engineers
Colney Works – light industrial and trading area
entrance to Napsbury Hospital. The driveway is now a track which runs west and
Lodge. Built 1905 in an Arts and Crafts-style in brick and rendered
Lodge Social Club. This is a road café complex which has evolved as a social
club from the closure of the local British Legion. It is also a venue for local
bikers. The site was once a sea cadets training centre
was previously White Lion Lane
House Farm. The farm house was near the White Lion pub. The farmland became the estate of houses
surrounding it and to the west.
Primary School. The school was built on land on the Sheephouse Farm Estate and opened in 1952. A metal cockerel was given to
the school when it opened as a sculpture. In 2002 the school celebrated its
Golden Jubilee and soon after it was extended with five classrooms, a new ICT
suite, a library and a new sports hall.
Bernadette Catholic Primary School. This opened in 1971. The school was
designed by Mr T Denny. The nursery was opened in April 1979 and replaced in
Primary school. Web site
History Society. Web site
History Online. Web site
Listed Buildings. Web site
Heritage. Web site
and Middlesex Wildlife Trust
Colney Baptist church web site
Bernadette Catholic Primary School. Web site