The Ellenbrook flows southwards
Post to the north Hatfield Aerodrome
Post to the south Nast Hyde
Post to the west Smallford
This area was the
site of the de Havilland aerodrome. It is now owned by an organisation which
began as British Aerospace’s property division and is undertaking regeneration
of the area along with Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council, St Albans City and
District Council and Hertfordshire County Council. Until the 1930s it was a
farm owned by the Sinclair family it was then acquired by de Havilland and the
first planes were flown in 1933. In 1960 it was taken over by Hawker Siddeley
and in 1978 by British Aerospace. The site closed in 1994.
Ellenbrook. The Ellenbrook ran in
a covered culvert under the airfield
The Sinclair family lived in Harpsfield Hall which stood west of the Ellenbrook
and reached by a long drive way from St. Albans Road. It had been demolished by
1935. The main aerodrome runway covered the site. Recent archaeology has
uncovered some medieval remains.
The main runway of the Aerodrome
ran north-eastwards across the site. The concrete
runway here was one of the first to be built with the aim of a long life and
designed in 1944. Unlike other wartime runways it was designed to deal with the
unexplored future of modern civil and military aviation.
St.Albans Road West
The Ellenbrook flowed
under St Albans Road in an open ditch until the aerodrome runway was built in
1944 when it was replaced by one larger and re-routed, continuing under St
Albans Road and along Ellenbrook Lane.
Hertfordshire Sports Village
The Ellenbrook was
diverted when the main aerodrome runway was built and it was diverted down this
lane. An existing open culvert was retained for the Nast, which drains from the
western end of the airfield. The brook
runs alongside the lane.
Hatfield Aerodrome Heritage Trail. Web site
Hatfield Sports Village Web site