Ellenbrook flows southeast and southwestwards
Post to the west Nast Hyde
In the early 1970s it was clear there was a need to
upgrade the A1 through this section. The A1 was to motorway standard north and
south of this stretch thus and a consultation exercise was set up and work
commenced to build a new road as a motorway. The original A1 into Hatfield from
the south is now numbered the A1001
Waterworks Cottages. Houses built for workers at the
nearby Colne Valley Water Works.
Hatfield Water Works. Built in the 1880s early on this
was managed by the Barnet and District Gas and Water Co. Recently it has passed
through a number of changes in company, whose head offices were based locally.
It is currently part of Affinity.
19 Cavendish Arms. This is a modern estate pub. There is a gold Courage cockerel mounted above the
St Peters Catholic Church. In the 20th
Fr. Kenelm Vaughan came to Hatfield and built a house and chapel in St. Albans
Road. In 1925 Carmelite nuns built a convent in Hatfield and local catholics could
attend mass in their chapel but in 1929 St. Teresa’s new church was opened. The Diocese of Westminster recognised a growing
Catholic population and in 1959 Fr. Milne was appointed parish priest of the
New Town. The first mass in St. Peter’s church was held in 1961.
South Hatfield shopping centre
The Harrier pub. This was once called The Hilltop
This was once called Roe Green Lane
University of Hertfordshire College Lane Campus. Hatfield Technical College. Built 1951-1953, architect Howard Robertson. Structural engineers Felix Samuely and
Partners on a site presented by de Havillands. There were foundation problems
due to swallow holes. College built to serve the then numerous ‘high tech'
industries of the locality and de Havilland moved their technical college
there. Academic courses in Aeronautics
were on the syllabus. Hatfield Technical
College became Hatfield College of Technology in 1958, Hatfield Polytechnic in
1969 and in 1992 the University of Hertfordshire. This is the original campus and now has many facilities,
but the college has a larger site on the old airfield.
This is on the line of the Barnet bypass built in 1925
and bypassing Hatfield. It also carried
the North Orbital Road for part of its length. The A1 section was rebuilt to
motorway standards in the early 1970s.
It was named after the jet airliner developed at Hatfield.
woodland with many different trees and fungi, snowdrops and bluebells. Some
large hollies dot the wood
road system was never completed and it is now numbered A414
between the North Orbital Road and the A1 interchange
chamber where water from the motorway cutting at Roehyde is collected and
pumped, together with the water from the motorway to an outfall into the
pond. Water discharged from the pump chamber has to be limited to not more than
75 litres per second and the balancing pond, manages this. It is also designed
to act as an oil trap and has a penstock by which the outfall can be closed if
pollutants spill on the highway.
is the old name for the area. There were two Roe Green farms here.
Green Farm North, also called Hills’ farm. In 1733 owned by the brother of the
Bishop of Bath. In the 20th it was bought by the Hatfield
Development Corporation and the house was demolished in 1966.
Site of a nursery
Affinity. Web site
Brewery History. Web site
Kirby and Busby. Hatfield.
Motorway Archive. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire. Web site