Boggymead Stream. Smallford
Boggymead Stream flows southwards
Post to the east Nast Hyde
Post to the north Smallford
Post to the south Colney Heath
This private road was the drive to The Mansion House, which is now Oaklands College
The first tollgate on the turnpike road out of Hatfield lay close to the Three Horseshoes inn. There was a tollhouse the site of which is now a paddock
Drunken Bridge – this was the name for the bridge on the road over Boggymead Stream. It now goes under the road in a culvert
Butterwick Farm. This lay south of Hatfield Road near today’s Lyon Way and was there in 1280. The name means a dairy estate. It was owned by Richard Cox’s family until at least 1700. In the 19th it belonged to the Gaussen family of Brookmans Park. Boggymead Spring ran through from north to south. A footpath ran alongside the farmhouse to Hatfield Road at Fourways. This was the route to the parish church. It eventually began to turn into an entertainment venue for visiting Londoners and was eventually demolished in the 1930s.
Balito's sports field. This was adjacent to the Boggymead Stream Bridge, and remains unused. Balito made hosiery and were based in St. Albans.
Three Horseshoes. Named thus because there was a farrier next door. It is an 18th timber frame and plastered brick building.
Milepost north side of the road, east of the pub. Dates from around 1820 and is a triangular Cast iron, painted post. It says ‘HATFIELD 2’, ‘ST ALBANS 3’, ‘READING 48’
Four Horseshoes. This pub was on the north side of the road and was also called The Horseshoes, and at one time also the Tom and Gerry. It went out of business in 1959.
Smallford Nurseries. This is Glinwell’s fruit and veg distribution centre. It was formerly Nielson's Nursery
Nutcutts Nursery. This was previously Sear and Carter. The garden centre is set back from the main road, because, of road widening in the late 1930s.
Smallford Speedway. This was opened in 1936 by Hertford Motor Cycle and Car Club. It was also a greyhound track in the 1930s.
Built on the site of Butterwick and Round Woods
City Church. Elim Pentecostal Church
Caslon House. In 1720, William Caslon created a typeface for the New Testament in Arabic. Caslon Ltd spent 282 years in district and then in 2002 moved here. Richard Caslon is the current Managing Director.
Forest Town Church Evangelical church founded in 2000 in St. Albans.
Boggymead Spring. St Albans Rugby Club. This club was formed in 1970 with many players from the old Electrical Apparatus Company rugby club. 1983 they moved to their current ground at Boggymead Springs, on a long lease from Hertfordshire County Council. The clubhouse was opened later that year.
Pest house. Closed 1880s. it was near the entrance to the Rugby club
Wellfield Nurseries opposite Glinwell. These have now gone.
Smallford Station. This opened in 1866. Built by the Hatfield and St. Albans Railway in effect the Great Northern Railway, It Opened as ‘Springfield’ but in 1879 the name was changed to ‘Smallford’. It was the first intermediate station on the line to open and it was the last station on the line to close. The line itself closed in 1951. The goods yard remained open until 1968 due to contractual reasons with a local business. The station site is now used as a builder’s yard but the ticket office and other buildings are being refurbished by a local amenity group. The platform is intact alongside Alban Way. It is a timber-framed and weather boarded building with D: W: D: W: on the elevation.
SourcesBritish Listed Buildings. Web site
Disused Stations. Web site
London Gazette. Web site
Stalbansowneastend. Web site
Stalbansnostalgia. Web site.
St.Albans Rugby Club. Web site