The tributary flows northwards to the Stort
Post to the east Old Harlow
Post to the north Harlow Mill
Black Lion Court
Sheltered housing on the site of The Bishop Stortford Dairy Farmer's milk depot, and after 1969 a newsprint wholesaler. The current cottages date from 1989
20th housing area on fields which had once been a market and fair area before the market in what is now Market Street was developed.
Marigolds. Harlow Cricket Club. Founded in 1774
This is probably the oldest part of Harlow and was used as part of the medieval market area. It became a back lane to the market area after Middle Row was built. There were maltings here until the late 19th.
16 The Gables 15th house now used as a restaurant. Victorian shop front. In the past it has been a bakery and the water works offices
17 Gresham Villa. Mid 19th house and shop. This was a saddlers and harness makers until the 1930s.
19 19th brick house
21 Orchard Cottage. A 16th timber-framed cottage.
23- 25 Two 19th brick cottages. From 1896 until 1979 this was Collins’ Cycle shop dealing with Raleigh, B.S.A. and Royal Enfield cycles. They later sold petrol and the house was lit with electricity from an early petrol engine.
Harlow Baptist Church. Church of brick built 1865 which replaced an older church here.
Marquis of Granby Pub 15th building timber framed and plastered, with some weatherboarding. In use as an inn by 1772 when it was called the Wheatsheaf – and now has regular pub bands and music events.
Chaplin’s Brewery built 1897 – now Seeleys housing estate
Garden Terrace Road
Old Harlow Health Centre. Jenner House
15 Harlow War Memorial Institute. Billiard Hall
Harlow Women’s Institute Hall
Prehistoric or Roman site south of the road. Claimed to be a tumulus for a folk moot site. It is thought to be a Bronze Age burial mound.
High Street (part of this is Sheering Road on some maps)
1 Gothic House. This has been an Estate Agents since 1978 – and an insurance company called Gothic. At one time it was a post office.
2 Building once used by the National Provincial Bank with Relief figures over the door. It has a 20th front on an older timber framed and plastered building – it was once a house called Welfords with an orchard to the south. In 1910 it became a chemist's shop and then a bank which closed in 1965. In 1805 It was 1805 birthplace of Sarah Flower Adams, who wrote 'Nearer my God to Thee',
7, 9 18th building
8 an old blacksmiths shop
14 Marigolds, 18th house. Victorian cast iron railings at the front.
30 Old Harlow aHarlLibrary. An 18th building including a 17th cottage. The main part of the library is a modern extension on the site of a carpenter's workshop. Opened as a Library in 1970.
32 17th timber framed, black weather boarded building with modern shop fronts
34 17th range in timber and plastered
71 Chestnut Cottage. 18th cottage timber framed and thatched. The chestnut concerned was cut down in 1925.
Methodist church converted to housing. Built in 1886 by the North-West Essex Wesleyan mission,
The Wayre. 19th house in brick. Sheltered housing with more built in the grounds. This was previously the site of a house called ‘Snows’.
Ambulance station 19th building and also very small
Fire Station. Tiny little building opened in 1955 that is just about a shed built round the fire engine – which is an extra small Dennis Dagger
Mark Hall Sports Centre, opened in 2006. This is associated with the Specialist Sports School – Mark Hall Community School adjacent.
Fawbert and Barnard’s School. Old British School from 1836 in brick. John Barnard, built a non-denominational school here using money left by George Fawbert who had died in 1824. The original charter, still held at the school, contains reference to the freedom of religious choice for both pupils and staff. Following the Free Education Act in 1891 the school took on Voluntary Controlled Status. In 1912 a Technical Block was built - now called the Signal Box. In 1985 a new hall was built in the style of the original schoolhouse. There is a large field with a new woodland area. Gateways to the school still stand on the road
Whelby House. Private hospital
31 Co-op – the Old Harlow Post Office built in the 1930s.
Old Harlow Police Station. The police station moved here from Sheeering Road in 1908, but these are newer buildings.
The Old Bank House - Barclays Bank in 18th house in red brick but previously a branch of Sparrow, Rufnell and Co. which became part of Barclay's in 1896. It has since been a bookie and an estate agent.
House associated with Chaplin’s Brewery later used as the labour exchange and demolished in the 1960s.
This was previously called First Avenue
Mark Hall Community School. Specialist sports college. The school was opened in 1954, as a secondary modern school but since 1984 has been a comprehensive. It is now a ‘Community’ school, Becoming a Specialist Sports College in 2002.
Site of medieval markets and it included a market cross.
28-32 site of St. John's Villa and an ironmongers showroom converted into houses and flats
Dellfield Court. Flats built 1969 on site of an ironmonger’s shop
38 part of The Crown Public House. Timber framed 15th building, modified in later years. Inside, behind glass, are 18th wall paintings in imitation of Chinese-inspired wallpapers. It has been a pub since 1703 but 38 was a separate building which operated as a grocer and general store and it was later bought by Greene King.
42 -48 17th tenements, timber framed, plastered with weatherboards. Above a door is a sundial inscribed: 'Waste no time 1759'. The building at the end of the block was purchased by Memorial University in 1973 and converted into flats. It had been a butcher’s shop and the slaughter house was at the back.
50 'Cheshar' a 19th brick house now flats.
52 In the 19th this was a bakery and later an outfitter
54, 56, 58 19th row of cottages in red brick and Edwardian shop windows
60 Nunns. 18th house in red brick house. This was once two shops
Chequers Public House. 18th plastered brick, painted building. Does not seem to have become a public house until the mid 20th. It may once have been a house within the grounds of The George
The Crown Public House. 16th Timber framed and plastered building
Equity House. New office buildings on the site of earlier shops
Mulberry Green (also Sheering Road on some maps)
The name is claimed to be a corruption of ‘moot bury’ – the meeting place on a hill which is said to stand to the south of Gilden Way.
House 18th 1947 School
3, 5, 7, 9. Tenements from 1800 in red brick
4 19th house.
Cotswold 18th in painted brick
Hill House. 16th house altered in the 18th, timber framed with two stair towers at each corner of the front
Gateway to Hill House, 18th wood
30 Granary Cottage. 18 barn-like building timber-framed and black weather boarded
Mulberry Green House and Stables. 18th house with contemporary stables
31 Dormer Cottage, 17th house framed in timber and roughcast
Green Man Pub. 17th building with a rear access arch. This was a coaching inn which was the principal inn in Harlow until the mid-19th
Old Forge. 16th Timber-framed and plastered building
Old Police House built in 1859 by Perry Watlington who presented them to the County Police and they became their local headquarters. Petty Sessions were also held here. They were replaced in 1908 and the building has been converted to housing.
Church of the Assumption. Roman Catholic Church
Cowlins development on the site of Cowlin’s timber yard
Drill Hall – Territorial Army Centre
2 17th house. Timber framed and plastered.
This is the site of Chaplin's Brewery; and its associated buildings. The brewery was built in 1897 but had gone out of business by the 1920s. The site was used by Windowlite, to make wire reinforced plastic sheeting. The Brewery House was demolished in 1965.
Site of Barclays Bank was the site of the horse fair
Hill House. Curious building
Melbury Green House
George Hotel. Now in other use. The building dominates the corner. It dates from the 16th and was a pub by 1602 but more or less rebuilt in the 18th. It was the principal coaching in in Harlow in the mid 19th replacing The Green Man when the road was built between it and Harlow Mill. Its yard with stabling for 18 horses' is now part of buildings in Station Road. It closed as a pub in 1948
Oakwood Mews, built in 2004 on the site of Darlington Motors. Dearloves Garage and petrol station were also there
Flats on the sites of Dearloves Garage workshops which were also used to make fish paste.
The Old Butcher's Shop. Originally a smithy which was converted in a shop in 1937.
St John's Walk
Malthouse Late nineteenth century three-storey malthouse built of
St John's Cottage & St. John's. 19th building with black weatherboards. The classroom of the Memorial Campus plus accommodation for visitors. This was part of St. Mary's College here 1840-1966. The walled garden was once a scrapyard prior to the renovations.
St. John's Arts and Recreation Centre. Which was St.John the Baptist a 19th Anglican church built through the influence of the Oxford movement. Built in 1840 and closed in 1979. Its lych gate and graveyard remain,
Cabot House. A row of three cottages turned into a single building in the 1960s. It was bought for student accommodation by Memorial University in 1995 and re-named Cabot House
Crabb's Cottages. Almshouses built in 1844 through a bequest of Sarah Crabb 'for benevolent or religious purposes'. Commemorative plaque but they are now a private house.
Victoria Theatre. The Victoria Hall was built by a private company in the 1880s and transferred to the council in 1933.
Harlowbury Primary School and Mulberry Green Pre-School