Thames Tributary River Lea
The Lea flows south east
Post to the north Stanborough
Post to the east Stanborough
A1 Barnet By Pass
is the last stretch of the by-pass which starts at North Hill, Highgate. It is 17
miles long and as the Great North Way was authorised in 1923 in order to bypass Finchley, Whetstone,
Barnet and Old
Hatfield. It was an 'arterial' road - a three lane, single carriageway,
bordered by poplars – and much of it was later doubled.
Coopers Green Lane
Stanboroughbury – livery stables.
Great North Road
Oldings Corner - Tesco on
the site of Jack Oldlings works, which stood on the corner of Mount Pleasant
Lane and the A1. Oldings was founded in 1925 and made tractors and then
armoured vehicles. The factory stood around the corner site and had a central
clock tower in art deco style and was known as Caterpillar Island
Stables on the site of Tollhouse. This was for the Galley Turnpike Trust and demolished in the 1960s.
Stables on the site of Warren Lodge
Between the M10 junction and the
A414 is named the North Orbital Road, as it was intended build an outer orbital
road around London. This was never completed