Thames Tributary River StortThe Stort flows westwards and is joined by the Pole Hole Brook from the north.
Post to the east Harlow Temple
Post to the north Sayes Park
Post to the west Gilston Park
Post to the south Harlow
Pole Hole Farm
Pole Hole Quarry. This is the former domestic waste tip for Harlow. Landfill gas generated. On the sides of the tip the local geological sections could be seen - boulder clay interweaved with sand.
Vine Grove – houses on the site of Vine Farm, which stood here until the mid 19th.
Pye Corner – on the east side of the road was the Gilston workhouse
Hollingson Meads Quarry. Active sand and gravel workings
102 18th House. Timber frame plastered and roughcast.
Latton Lock. Built in the 1760s a turf sided structure and rebuilt in brick and concrete in 1915 – and the joins between the two levels of stonework can be seen. One of the original quoin stones for the gate hinge remains.
Latton Mill. This was north of the lock and on Harlow side of the bridge to the north of the lock. It was first noted in 1449 and closed in 1926. Some foundations remain. It was yet another mil run by the Barnard family
Latton Island House. Demolished – it was downstream of the lock. Some foundations remain. A plaque over the door read: “Man may come and man may go but the river goes on for ever”. In the 1890s it was the home of the
Latton Island also part of area called Maymead Marsh.