Todd Brook Tributary to the river Stort
Brook continues to flow west and south west
Post to the east Latton
Post to the west The High
Moors. A long thin glade with woodland, grassland and stream
Hatch. The Hatches were small local
areas providing shops and facilities in the New Town plans.
Netteswell Rectory, Red brick house 1760. Now a care home.
and Jill’s Nursery
Heart and Club. Local bar – the name is that of a sort of moth and reflects the
use in the New Town to call pubs after butterflies and moths.
Pond. The embanked monastic fishponds of Netteswellbury built on behalf of
Waltham Abbey in the 1060s. At the south
side are the remains of the walled garden of the Martin family with lived here
in the 17th. This is now a fishery.
Marks West Essex Catholic Secondary School. An academy school
Nettleswellbury Manor was part of the endowment of Waltham Abbey by Harold
Godwin in 1060. After the dissolution it passed through various ownerships as a
farm. In the 17th a big house
was built here by the Martin family, but was eventually replaced by the farm
Church of St Andrew. 13th church built of coursed
flints and pebbles which may have been built in association with the manor here
by Waltham Abbey. There is a bell turret with broach spire and a timber framed
porch. Inside, a red brick panel has the rebus of late 15th Abbot
Rose, of Waltham Abbey. On either side
of the altar is panelling from the 17th house here built by the
Martin family. It is now part of the
study centre having been made redundant in 1978.
Humming Bird. Built in 1969 on the site
of some of the churchyard.
Farm. Harlow Council Care Home.
Study Centre. Closed.
15th building, timber-framed with aisles
to north and south and black weatherboarding. The carpentry is said to be
outstanding particularly in regard to jointing.
The barn was damaged in a fire in 1970 but has been restored.
Barn. 15th building timber framed with black
Agricultural buildings 15th with timber frame and
Netteswellbury House. Early 19th plastered brick