Sunday, 31 July 2011

Thames Tributary – tributary to the River Roding - Gaynes Park

Thames Tributary – tributary to the River Roding
The tributary rises in this area and flows southwards


48 02
Post to the west Coopersale Street
Post to the south Mount End

Gaynes Park
Gaynes Park, a 19th mansion. Red brick faced with Grey stone. Above are rails and four gargoyles. Acquired by the Chisenhale-Marsh family in 1792, who altered it, in grey brick before 1818. Now converted into flats
Gardens
Barns – red brick 29th outbuildings around a courtyard. One range had a
clock tower and clock. Behind them is an old forge and another red brick outbuilding, and then a brick weather boarded barn. There are other red brick buildings and also a 19th open Barn with weatherboard cladding and terracotta effigies of a Dragon and a Griffon. This is now called The Orangery, The Gather Barn, The Mill Barn and the Apple Loft Honeymoon Cottage and used as a ‘wedding venue’
Site of the ancient manor house of Gaynes Park Hall, also spelt Gaines and also called Park Hall. Elizabeth visited and held a Council here when it was owned by William Fitzwilliam and later by the Earls of Anglesey. Demolished 1740.

Mount Quarter
Wild life site

No comments: