Saturday, 16 July 2011

Thames Tributaries – Tributary to the River Roding - Stondon Massey

Thames Tributaries – Tributary to the River Roding
The tributary meanders north westwards towards the Roding


Post to the north Stondon Massey
Post to the east Paslow Common
Post to the west Stondon Massey
Post to the south Clapgate


Ongar Road
St.Peter and St.Paul, Church. The church dates to 1100 and is in Flint, rubble, quartzite and there are some Roman bricks and elsewhere in the building tufa. These walls appear to be very early possibly Saxon. The belfry is 15th with three bells from the 15th and 16th. Brasses date to the 16th. William Byrd, the Elizabethan musician is buried in and a Wall plaque commemorates him.
Stondon Massey House. This was the rectory built in 1800 for the then rector
Stonden Hall FarmChurch Wood. Ancient woodland made up of hornbeam coppice plus oak and ash
Round Spring
Reservoir
Stondon Farm
Churchfields Farm

No comments: