Thames Tributary River Roding
The Roding flows south in a convoluted stream, joined by tributaries from the east an from the west
Post to the north Colemans
Post to the west Stanford Rivers
Post to the east Kelvedon Hall
Post to the south Navestock
Wash Bridge. This became a county bridge in 1830.
Bridge House Farm. Also known as ‘Wash Farm’ or ‘Bridge Farm’
Stanford Rivers House, 17th house with a 15th core. Timber framed and
34 – 38 Two 18th cottages Timber framed and rendered.
Bridge Cottage. 17/18th timber framed and plastered
Union workhouse. Built in 1830-1 this was the workhouse of the poor law union which preceded the Ongar Union. It serving a union of nine parishes, and held 100 inmates. One of the last workhouses built before the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 its brown brick central hub had windows from which the master could see the various inmates. Ongar Poor Law Union with 24 elected Guardians took over in 1836 representing its 26 parishes. They bought the building and enlarged it to take over 200. There was a school and an infirmary both dating from 1871,
Piggott's Tent factory took over the workhouse buildings after the union closed in 1930. Piggotts was founded in 1780 trading in the City of London at No.10 Old Jewry and are now part of the Crown Group, they specialise in flags and decorative lights as well as tents.
Site of the former Congregational church burnt down in 1927. A single gravestone remains. A black wrought-iron parish sign was erected in the old gateway area as a Millennium feature.