Saturday, 1 January 2011

Thames Tributary Salfords Stream - Salfords

Thames Tributary Salfords Stream
Also called River Sal the stream continues westwards to the Mole


Post to the north Whitebushes
Post to the east Mason's Bridge

Bonehurst Road
Harvester Inn. This was the General Napier beer house opened in 1874 and closed in 1996 to be replaced by the present building.
Christ the King church. Land was given by John Maple of the furniture store who also built the vicarage. A church was built in 1881. The present church was built from 1958 by volunteer labour and dedicated in 1967. The original church site is now a memorial garden.
Hall & Co had their regional maintenance depot, west of the station. This was used in WWII to repair war tanks. Opened 1930. Buildings designed by Wallis Gilbert. Staff here maintained the entire road and vehicles and all the equipment. Undertook work on tanks in the second world war. Site sold in the 1980s.

Brighton Road
Salfords Bridge. Red brick with a plaque on it.
Pumping Station alongside.
Premier inn. The Mill House - Part of it is from the 1700's. Listed building. Originally it was the miller’s house & remains of the mill remain in the stream.
Salfords Farm. 17th buildings of which the mill was part
Salfords Mill. A wooden watermill with two sluice gates next to the Mill House Hotel. It was at work in 1800 and was probably much older. It burnt down in 1887 and was rebuilt  by a J. Burrows as a five storey building with a Tattersall Rolling system. There was also a low pressure beam engine installed by Horn and Sons and boilers. Burrows became bankrupt soon after and the lease was taken by the Seventh Day Adventists, who set up the London Health Food Company, under Dr Kellogg - making health biscuits, nut food and wheat-flaked cereals. It was thus the first mill in the England to specifically produce breakfast cereals. In 1900 the mill was again burnt down, eventually the site was cleared.

Dunraven Avenue
Workers housing for the Monotype works

Honeycrock Lane
Dean Farm. Listed Grade II. 16th house with 18th extension. Timber framed on stone plinth, with red and brown brick cladding
Salfords Village Hall. originally built in 1925 and renewed in 1978
Monotype Imaging. Langston Monotype Corporation Ltd first moved to Salfords in 1899 to service and sells their American composing machines. In the next few years they began to design and build machinery on site. In 1915 precision parts for machine guns were made. In 1939 they began to manufacture the Browning gun in the next years they developed almost every type face you have ever heard of, including this one as well later, as stuff like Quark, Now part of AGFA.
Clay for the bricks dug from the site, the pit became a pond

Salfords trackway
An original pre medieval track way through the village passed on the other side of the London to Brighton railway. This came from Redhill passing in front of the Royal Earlswood Hospital through Whitebushes and crossing the river Sal at Dean Farm. Then it runs in front of the former Monotype Corporation and can be traced.

Station.  Opened in 1917 to serve the Monotype Works and to aid the war effort. The line had been laid down by the London and Brighton Railway Co. In 1838 and extended later. The station was not opened to the general public until 1932. Beside the footbridge is an advertisement for Monotype. Sidings which were used by Day Aggregates to store stones for use on construction projects in the area. Sidings and some machinery remain.

Sources
Stidder. Water mills of Surrey

No comments: