Thames Tributary Bents Brook
The Brook flows north east towards Tanners Brook and the River Mole
Post to the south Mid Holmwood
Post to the east North Holmwood
Bents Brook runs between the road and Deepdene Avenue
4 home of. Charles Upfold, ropemaker,
Rope Walk which Charles Upford had at the beginning of the 20th opposite the Windmill where the cars are parked between the road and the hedge.
Housing on the site of the Windmill Pub. This was a Friary house which closed in 2004
St John’s Church of England School
Brickworks House - the Dorking Brick Company’s manager's Victorian house refaced and extended in 1931 using bricks from the works. .
North Holmwood Pottery. This was opposite the North church and made flower pots and other coarse ware.
Pond near the church. This was probably made by clay dug for the pottery.
St John the Evangelist church built in 1874 on hillside on Holmwood Common. Money for it construction were raised by Ladies Anne and Mary Legge, daughters of the Earl of Dartmouth, who lived at Holmwood Lodge. Designed by Rohde Hawkins, who lived at Redlands, and built on common land donated by the Duke of Norfolk.
North Holmwood Common. Part of the Manor of Dorking, owned by King Harold before the Conquest, the last owner was the Duke of Norfolk. Too swampy for farming it was left wild although commoners use it for turf, timber and grazing. Some ancient oaks survive. Most of it was donated to the National Trust in 1956 by the local authorities who had bought it from the Duke of Norfolk.
Houses once called Potkiln Cottages
Pillar Box. By the post office a George V ‘Ludlow box’. During the 1980s the enamel plate was removed.
The Studio, late 19th studio of Sir Joseph Edgar Boehm, sculptor to Queen Victoria,
Bentsbrook, mansion of Sir Joseph Edgar Boehm, sculptor stood opposite