Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole flows east and then turns north. It is joined by the Tanners Brook.
TQ 19694 49560
Pretty Surrey village in what is now a wealthy area.
Post to the east Brockham
Post to the north Betchworth Castle
Post to the south Strood Green
House with late 18th front
Barn. Late 17th building and adjacent 18th stable/hayloft. The barn is timber-framed, clad in weatherboarding on a brick plinth with a corrugated iron roof and full-height cart entrances. The stable is brick in Flemish bond with a weather boarded lean-to.
The village is said to take its name from badgers which lived near the river but it is more likely to be 'Brook - ham' - the village on a brook, used as a stopping place on the main road.
Pump. Made of 19th cast iron with an ornamental wooden casing and tiled roof. The hand-operated pump was made by Warners of London and has a tiled roof. it was erected in memory of Henry Thomas Hope Esq. of Deepdene, ‘ by his neighbours and tenants resident in the district of Brockham to commemorate his numerous acts of benevolence and his readiness on all occasions both to promote and support public improvement’. Mr. Hope died in 1862.
2 and 3 Oak Cottages late 17th. Timber-framed building. Old tile roof with stack at one end.
Old Inn Lodge Early 19th.
Elm Cottage. Timber-framed house with the timbering and plaster infilling still visible but the front rebuilt in red brick in the 17th-18th.
Long Cottage. 17th timber-framed house.
North View. 17th Timber-framed house refronted with painted brick and timbering with painted brick infilling exposed in the south wall.
Surrey House. 16th or possibly earlier. L-shaped timber-framed house
Vicarage Cottage. 17th timber-framed cottage with plaster and painted brick infilling
Pound. Red Brick-walled enclosure. A notice states that Brockham's Act of Parliament of 1812 allowed only poultry to pasture on the Green. Grazing cattle and horses led to a fine from the Lord of the Manor.
Borough Bridge. Narrow brick bridge over the Mole built in 1737 by Richard and Thomas Skilton a stone plaque set into the parapet. Strengthened by Surrey County Council in 1991 and a wooden arched footbridge placed on the downstream side. The road bridge has four main arches with three further arches in the south abutment and a tunnel in the north abutment for flood relief.
Named for the brickworks kiln at the eastern end
1, 2 66 amd 67 Demark House, Hope House, The Little House, The Pharmacy and Fern Villa. 16th timber-framed cottages with painted brick infilling.
The Cottage. 17th or earlier.
Brockham House. 17th or in a half-H shape.
15 Whyteways. Timber-framed building; probably 17th and originally 2 cottages.
K6 Telephone Kiosk. Designed 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Made by Carron Co. Cast iron. George VI crowns
Packhorse Bridge. A small brick bridge crosses the Mole 400m upstream from Borough Bridge. It was rebuilt by Surrey County Council in 1991-2, but originally this was an old packhorse bridge on the route to Betchworth
Brick arch over a mill stream - although any mill has long gone. It is recorded in 1634. There are renmains of a tail race
Old School Lane
55 formerly the schoolmaster's house. Brick, once painted over. Extension which was the infant's school.
54 Old School House building in Brick, once painted. This was a junior school.
Brook House. 17th house with 18th additions. Red brick.
Dolly Farmhouse and Yew Tree Cottage 17th or earlier timber-framed house faced with red brick
Elm Grove. Building in several sections; circa 1700 and later with l9th alterations
2 -10 Long rectangular block divided into 5 cottages. 1700. Numbering given by Canadian soldiers during First World War. Listed Grade II
24 Small timber-framed 17th cottage refronted with red brick. Verandah with tiled canopy. Listed Grade II
26 Small timber-framed 17th cottage refronted with red brick. Listed Grade II
4 and 6 Antigone Cottage. 16th timber-framed building with painted brick infilling and diagonal braces
Christ Church. Built 1846 designed by Benjamin Ferrey in firestone with limestone dressings. It is a memorial to Henry Goulburn.
8 and 10 Dell's Cottage. 16th timber-framed building with 17th additions.
Tumbledown Farmhouse, 17th Timber-framed house with painted brick infilling,
Way House. Established in 1858 as Brockham Home and Industrial School for orphan girls by Mrs Way of Wonham Manor,with an infants' home added in 1871. There is a plaque commemorating the inauguration
Wheelwright's Cottage. 18th cottage
Stidder. Watermills of Surrey
Surrey Industrial Archaeology ,
London Transport Country Walks 1