Thames Tributary Pipp Brook
The Pipp Brook continues to flow eastwards through the area. The Milton Brook flows eastward from Milton Street
Post to the south Westcott
Post to the west Westcott
Post to the east The Nower
Post to the north Westcott
St John’s Free Church. Countess of Huntington’s Connexion. The Chapel was opened in 1840. There are marble tablets in the Chapel paid for by John Worsfold, one in his memory and the other with his bequests. He is buried beneath the altar and his bust was placed so it looked down on his vault.
The White House, Air Raid Shelter and Stationary Engine Collection. Private collection of internal combustion engines operating on gas, lamp oil and heavy oils. Also an original air raid shelter in cast concrete.
Cradhurst Recreation Ground
2-6 narrow early 19th terrace. Doorway on the corner with stucco, modern shop fronts.
7 Bay leaf –this used to be the Cricketers pub
Skeynes House. An early 19th block of 2 houses.
Ivy Cottage. 17th house in red brick
Robin Cottage, 17th house in red brick
Housing on site of the forge established in 1763 .The Ryde family continued to run it until 1965 when it was sold. The building was demolished and replaced by Shell Petrol. The filling station also closed.
Prince of Wales pub. The first landlord was local baker Griffin Beale who in the 1850s brewed his own beer and built the business up from a cottage to a pub. It continued in his family but supplied by the Tooting Brewery. The present building dates from 1922.
Penny Cottage. timber framed pebble dash building next to the pub. Its name commemorates decimalisation
Wyvern Cottage 17th, timber-framed cottage refaced with red brick
Old Bury Hill House, mansion built by James Walter in 1753. Bought in 1812 by Robert Barclay head of the Barclay Perkins Brewery - part of the estate developed by Edward Walter and sold by his descendants. It remained in the Barclay family for 150 years. Barclay had an interest in gardening and he extended the gardens with lakes. His gardener went on to found the Birmingham Botanical Gardens. There were alterations in the 1830s with input from Decimus Burton. The house was occupied by the military in the Second World War and much was destroyed by fire damage in 1950 and only the wings remain. Corridors on the south side of the house forms a flanking wall and a north side corridor is underground. The flanking wall on both sides has round-headed arches and joins the house to a garden pavilion with stables and offices behind now converted to flats.
Garden House. Dates from the 1750s and once the Head Gardener’s House of the Bury Hill Estate. Grade II* listed. A private walled garden
Orangery with nine high arched windows, raised flower beds and a patterned tiled walkway. Hexagonal cellar with a domed ceiling. Part of the Bury Hill House estate
Georgian Portico: house made up from the Head Coachman’s House, the Tack Room and the Vinery. Part of the Bury Hill House estate. In the tack room, is light oak panelling, a Delft rack and a Portland stone fireplace. The Vinery still has a grape vine and raised flower beds
Graysmark Cottage. House added in 19th and accessed through an archway to a separate, private garden. Part of the Bury Hill House estate
Apple Cottage. Part of the Bury Hill House estate
Stables with seven loose boxes with cast iron stalls, original ceramic tiling, arched windows and brick floor. Part of the Bury Hill House estate
Ice House. The entrance to this may be seen as a brick-arched doorway in the steeply rising bank to the south of a footpath near the main house. Inside a brick arched passage goes to the edge of the wel which has a brick dome and descends 20ft to a natural rock floor.
The walled garden of 2 ¼ acres is enclosed by 15 ft high brick walls. And includes a timber stable and a shingled terrace with central lily pond. Part of the Bury Hill House estate
The Paddocks. Extensive range of post and rail paddocks, Part of the Bury Hill House estate
Courtyard with original pump and eight brick garages and other brick outbuildings – stores a workshop, an open sided hay store etc. Part of the Bury Hill House estate
5 House, which for a whole was a school - owned by the Barclays Estate it was a school for the estate workers' children in the late 19th. Ground floor 17th painted brick with first floor 19th tile-hanging. 17th timber-framed building with Red brick infilling.
Little Waters. Timber-framed building. `
13 and 14 Early 19th. Red brick.
Malthouse Farm pleasant cottages
Victorian wall letterbox from 1880s design mounted in the wall of Old Bury Hill Gardens.
Lavender distillery. In 1898 a distillery was stood beside the Milton Brook at the end of Milton Street. Lavender and peppermint were grown on farms locally = peppermint was grown until 1914 or 1915. At first it was sent to Mitcham for distilling and after 1915 the distillery was moved to Croydon.
Milton Farmhouse. 17th house
Part of the Old Bury Hill Estate. The Milton Brook runs through it
Holly Cottage. 17th cottage with rubble walls, sides stuccoed. Chimney breast with bread oven.
Surrey Hills Primary School. In 1853 Richard Fuller of the Rookery, gave part Ball Field for use for a School for the education of children of the labouring manufacturing classes of Westcott and a Schoolmaster’s house. Money was got from the National Society for a grant: by 1882 there were 270 children there wand a separate Infant School was opened. In 1949, it was given Primary School status to provide education only up to age 11 and in 1971 children aged 4 to 8
Meadow land to the north with the Pipp Brook