Thames Tributary Redhill Brook
The brook flows south, and then turns east. It is partly culverted
Post to the north Redhill
Post to the east Earlswood
Post to the south Earlswood Common
The Redhill Brook flowed on the east side of the road which had to be built on faggots because of the soft ground and was still subject to flooding.
The Firs. On the corner of Mill Street. This was built as the Somers Arms in 1817 when the new road was built to attract coaching traffic built by John Cocks on land leased from Lord Monson, It closed as such in the 1840s. It became St John's vicarage until 1929 and was renamed 'The Firs'. Said to be the remains of a brew house at the rear
Flying Scud pub. Closed.
Plumbers shop in converted premises of the New Inn, corner of Garlands Road
Horse trough on the Mill Street corner
The Redhill Brook runs down the west side of the road behind properties.
Originally called Jug Ken Row after the builder and late 17th or early 18th.
St.John the Evangelist Church. 1843. This is brick and Bath-stone in the Gothic style. Listed grade II* It was originally built because of concerns about population growth in this area which had increased in the mid 19th following an influx of labourers on the railway. It was originally called Red Hill District church but it was then consecrated as St. Johns. The original church was built to designs by J T Knowles in 1843m and aisles added in 1867. In 1889, J L Pearson replaced this building and adding a steeple which has eight bells. The organ is by Willis and a font in the form of a kneeling angel. The churchyard wall, of knapped flints, was built in 1867.
11 The Plough Pub 16th
This is the line of the old south bound route from the area before the main road was built.
Joshua Tree. This was the Railway Inn, and later The Albatross. When it was the railway inn it has a stained glass window of a locomotive and was known locally as the NOB after the number on the window.
Houses from 17th, 18th and 19th
Art Matters. Richmond Fellowship project in the old parochial church hall.
Scout Hall. Staircase to the first floor
Jamia Masjid al Mustafa. Mosque in old chapel building
This was called originally St. Johns Road
81 The Fountain pub. Closed 1951
Flats and houses on the site of Redhill sand pits which closed 1913
The brook has sometimes been known as Gurney’s Brook in this area
Hooley means ‘grove in a hollow”
Line of the ancient route before modern main roads were built – part of the east-west route between Nutfield and Reigate. The road was realigned as the result of the building of the railway
The brook runs under the lane but was diverted when modern roads were built. There was a ford here which had to be crossed by the railway. As the result of the mis-building of the railway bridge the railway company was required to replace the ford with a bridge.
The railway line crossed the road near the brook at an angle and the original bridge was at the wrong angle and the railway company would not rebuild it correctly.
Brook Glen or The Water House stood at the junction with Earlsbrook road
Redstone Hill and Reigate Road Station was to the south of the road and near the site of the engine shed. The London and Brighton Railway had intended to go through Reigate, but because of opposition moved the line to the east. Reigate was the first significant source of traffic on the London and Brighton railway. The line was opened to Haywards Heath in 1841 but in 1842 the line to Edenbridge was built and a new station built near the junction, north of here, and so by 1844 this station closed and operations moved to the new station to the north. The station site was used as a good yard, and then a timber yard and is now the Hockley Business Park. It is said to include an engine shed of 1839 designed by David Moccatta
10 Marquis of Granby pub
14 Old South Goods Yard
Gasholders. The Redhill Gas Co. ran a workers co-partnership scheme from 1914.
Smithy. Timber framed smith used from 19th by the Hewett family who had had previous blacksmiths shop in Fountain Road at St.John's 1755. Bits still there
Station masters cottage for the Redstone Hill and Reigate station.
In the early 20th this was known as Sots Hole
Brickmakers Arms Pub. Lost its licence in 1910 and closed down,
This was a name given in the 18th for the area around St.John’s church
Line of the ancient route before modern main roads were built – part of the east-west route between Nutfield and Reigate it takes the road up onto Redhill Common. It is not clear what Mill is referred to in the road name and if there was ever a mill here on the Redhill Brook
3 said to be the remains of the Rose Brewery at the rear
Old Cottage. Could be 14th
Garibaldi pub, named after Giuseppe Garibaldi, the Italian patriot,
This was originally called Union Road and ran down to the workhouse. Pendleton was one of the names of a local resident in the road; there are 16th 17th and 18th houses in the road.
Redhill General Hospital was originally the workhouse built on 1794 on a site called Broad Plain originally owned by Lord Somers. Gradual improvements and changed meant that it eventually became a hospital. By 1936 it was a general hospital. It is now New housing enclosed by the original workhouse wall.
St.John’s school. This was originally built in 1845 following local concerns on population growth. In the Second World War the boys, under the instruction of the Art Master Mr. Allan, used the shelter walls as canvases during their art lessons. The paintings are and tell well known stories such as Gulliver’s Travels, Robin Hood and Robinson Crusoe.
26 Elm Shades, a Shepherd Neame pub also known as the Earlswood Arms. An old well found in the pub garden has been refurbished.
The line of an ancient route between Nutfield and Reigate passed over the common between Mill Street and Whitepost Lane. The east side was taken up with sand and stone quarries owned by Lord Somers. In the 1860s the government bought the top of the common for a military prison but then abandoned the idea. It was eventually bought by the local authority as a park.
Railway sighting obelisk. Base only as a memorial to Mr. Lemon and George V there was once a seat round it. The Tonbridge railway line through Tandridge is very straight. It is claimed that the engineer, William Cubitt, took sightings from the view-point on the Common
Jubilee Plantation. Planting for Victoria’s jubilee.
This was the original south route from the Nutfield-Reigate Road
Sand dug on the common but stopped through the intervention of Lord Somers
12 The Old Chestnut. Originally this was the Station Hotel
Job masters stables and corn stores which became Trowers Millers and corn merchants
Earlswood Station. Opened 1868 on the London and Brighton Railway
Part of the new road built by Earl Somers surveyor and taking the Prince Regent’s road over the hill, which was not originally intended. At the top of the hill was a hut with a man in it who had a device to lock coach wheels on their downward journey.
Banks. Penguin. Surrey
Cinema Theatres Association Newsletter
Hall & Co. Company
Haselfoot, The Batsford Guide to the Industrial Archaeology
of South East England.
Moore. History of Redhill
Nairn.- Modern Buildings,
Penguin Guide Kent Surrey Sussex.
and Cherry. Surrey
Records of the Chelsea Speleological Society
Stidder. A Guide to the
industrial history of Reigate