flows north eastwards
Post to the west Hospital Bridge
Post to the north Whitton
Church. This was built in 1914 to the designs of J.S.Alder and was his last
major church. It is in red brick. Inside is the pulpit from the bombed church
of St Gabriel, Poplar. Windows of The Good Shepherd by William Morris, 1890,
from a design by Burne Jones from the Haweis Chapel of St James's, Marylebone
Club for Young People
Teddington Table Tennis Club
over a weir on the Crane at the end of Mill Road
Fifth Cross road
School for Girls. The site here had been used since 1928 by the Thames Valley Grammar School, which had become a Sixth
Form College in 1973 and had closed in 1977. Waldegrave School was formed in
1980 by the merger of two girls' schools − Twickenham Girls' School and Kneller
Girls' School − on its present site. The name commemorates Frances Waldegrave,
who lived locally at Strawberry Hill. The
girls from Kneller
Secondary Modern School moved to this site in 1978
Richmond Furniture Project
Fourth Cross Road
Rifleman Pub. Said to have a collection of corkscrews. In 2012 a new sign was
unveiled commemorating local rifleman Edwards who dribbled footballs towards
the German lines before the Battle of Loos. The name is however considerably older
Close. Site of laundry
beside the Crane as Fulwell Lodge before 1623. Became the home of Manuel II
King of Portugal 1913-1932 .when he died his wife returned to Frieburg when she
built another Fulwell Park. Demolished
and site used for housing.
Fulwell Park Avenue
of the area of the grounds of Fulwell Lodge which was acquired in 1932 by Wates
who developed the estate with housing.
Garden Centre –This was the site of Blackmoor Farm which was still in use as a
market garden in 1957.
Old Goat. Since 2005 this has been a ‘Belgian’ Pub. It has had previous names of
the Fulwell Arms, the Cock and Bull and the Jolly
the Mall School. Private boys ‘preparatory’ school. It has been here since 1909
when it moved from Teddington where it had been known as Huntingdon House.
and City Police Orphanage. Moved from Fortescue House, Twickenham, to Wellesley
House in the Hampton Road in 1874. A great deal of fund raising was necessary. Money
was given by 1874 by Angela Burdett Coutts and a wing was named after her. Henry Whiting, founder of the Police Fund
also gave and is commemorated by a clock and a plaque. A War memorial hospital
was opened in the grounds in 1923 by the then Prince of Wales. The orphanage closed in 1937 and relief passed
to orphans through the Police Fund. A war memorial from the Great War
commemorating alumni who has been killed is preserved in the police museum
store. The main building was demolished in 1971 and replaced with housing.
Fyne Restaurant. This was the Nelson Inn
Fullwell Paper Mills. This may have originated as a copper
mill, but was am pol mill in 1767. By 1800 the site included a windmill as well
as a tobacco drying area; linseed oil and cattle-cake were made here. Before 1865
it was a paper making mill and it was out of use by 1880.
Sixth Cross Road
152 The Fountain Pub. Built in
1939 in roadhouse style
Bloomsbury. This was the Five Oaks Inn dating back to at least the early 19th.
House. Built in 1850. The house was bought in 1911 with funds
raised by the Music Hall Artistes' Railway Association, at the suggestion of the
King Rat of the Grand Order of Water Rats. The society known as 'The Noble Six
Hundred', - artistes and friends -, who each donated £2 10s and whose names are
engraved for posterity on a board in the entrance. It is now funded by the
Entertainment Artistes' Benevolent Fund. It is a care home entirely for retired theatrical
artistes of various sorts and some famous names who have lived there.
James Catholic Primary School. The school was founded by the Sisters of Mercy in
the late 19th but the current building was opened by HRH The Princess
Royal in January 2006. It includes a unit for ASC children.
Third Cross Road
Schools were opened here in 1906 and were the first council schools in
Twickenham and designed by Mr Cheers
preserving works. 1930s
Brinsworth House. Web site.
British Listed Buildings. Web site.
Brouge. Web site
Crocker. Gunpowder Gazetteer.
and City Police Orphanage. Web site
and Wheatley. Follies
County Council. A History of Middlesex,
and Cherry. South London
Catholic Primary School. Web site.
Basin Archaeological Group report
Mall School. Web site.
Rifleman. Web site.
Table Tennis Club. Web site
School. Web site
School. Wikipedia Web site