Duke of Northumberland's River - Twickenham Rugby
The Duke of Northumberland’s flows north east and northwards
Post to the south Twickenham
Post to the east St.Margarets
Post to the north Mogden
All Hallows Church, The church has been here since 1940. The original All Hallows Church was on Lombard Street in the City of London. Christopher Wren designed it after an older church was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666. In the 1930s structural defects were found and it was demolished except for the bell tower, which was transferred here. The church took over the parish of St Martin's Mission Church, which was in Twickenham and a mission of the parish church. The church here was designed by Robert Atkinson and opened in 1940 – with anti-aircraft gun fire being heard during the dedication service. Furniture and fittings also came from All Hallows and a font from St. Benet Gracechurch. Inside is a Renatus Harris 1695 organ, a sword rest for the Lord Mayor’s sword, a pulpit once used by Wesley and there are monuments from All Hallows too. The porch comes from the priory of St.John Clerkenwell and an oak gateway is preserved inside the tower, from the Lombard Street church decorated with skulls and crossbones. The reredos is thought to be the work of Grinling Gibbons.
South Middlesex Hospital. This was originally The Mogden Isolation Hospital opened in 1898 by the Borough of Richmond and Heston & Isleworth Urban District Joint Isolation Hospital Committee for patients with infectious diseases. It was on the site of a casual ward established on Great West Road by Middlesex County Council for tramps. It had four single-storey ward, a huge kitchen and a Nurses' Home. In 1938 an administration block and a laboratory were built it was renamed the South Middlesex Fever Hospital. In the Second World War it was taken over by the Emergency Medical Service and expanded. The Hospital joined the NHS in 1948 and by 1953 it had 144 beds. In 1955 it became the Regional Eye Unit. It closed in 1991 with 72 beds. The site was sold and the money was used for the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital. The Hospital was demolished and the site redeveloped.
Isleworth Ambulance Station
Ivybridge Estate Council estate dating from the late 1970s.
Bridgelink Community Centre. This replaced the existing Langdale Centre
Langdale Centre. The original community centre refurbished for Hounslow Homes.
South Isleworth Children’s Centre
All Souls Ivybridge church. This started in 2004 with the intention of being a church for people who do not want to come to church. It is mow a part of All Souls parish
Ivybridge Primary School
Whitton Dean was the name of a big house to the west of this section of the road.
Queens Bridge – bridge over the Duke of Northumberland’s River.
Queens Mill. In the 1580s John Brode a London goldsmith, who had been experimenting with brassmaking usingrough copper set up a battery works here consisting of 'divers working houses, melting hearths, waterworks, furnaces and other engines with great bellows, stampers and other preparations meet and necessary to be used for the handling of the works of the making, melting and casting of metals'
Cardinal Vaughan School Playing Fields. The School is at Shepherd’s Bush and uses these fields for sports, and the field is also used by their Old Boys.
Twickenham Rugby Union Football Ground, Twickenham Stadium. Sometimes known as The Cabbage Patch. It was first opened in 1909 This is the it is the second largest stadium in the UK after Wembley Stadium and the fifth largest stadium in Europe ad is the home of Rugby Football Union. It has recently passed its centenary here. In 1907 a market garden was bought and the first stands constructed. During the Great War the ground was used for cattle, horse and sheep grazing. King George V unveiled a war memorial in 1921. Also in 1921 a stand was built above the northern terrace, with workshops placed underneath and in 1927, there was an extension to the East Stand and changes to other stands were undertaken. In 2002 a new south stand included a hotel with 156 rooms. Six VIP suites, a performing arts complex, a health and leisure club, a rugby shop etc. The Stadium has also hosted pop concerts and religious meetings.
The World Rugby Museum tells the history of the sport
Rowland Hill memorial gate; Coade Stone lion from Lambeth Brewery
All Hallows. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Day. Bristol Brass
Field. London Place Names,
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
The Kingston Zodiac
Twickenham Stadium. Wikipedia web site.
Walford. Village London