The River Crane flows north eastwards. The Duke of Northumberland’s River flows north
Post to the west Whitton
Post to the east Twickenham and Ham Street, Riverside
Post to the north Twickenham Rugby
1 Alton Arms Pub. Closed and housing since 1967
The Kings Arms. Pub
Richmond Adult Community College, Clifden Centre. This was Twickenham County School for Girls, later Twickenham County Grammar School, which opened in 1909 here. It became a comprehensive known as Twickenham Girls' School in 1973 and eventually moved to what is now Waldegrave School.
10 Old Friend Pub. Demolished and gone.
28 Prince of Wales Feathers. Pub. Demolished and gone.
66 Brewery Tap
93 Dukes Head. This pub was present by 1746 and closed in 2008. Was also called Austin’s Bar. It has a tiled panel with raised lettering - brown on beige - 'Brandon’s Putney Brewery Limited' over the corner door. Now housing
Salvation Army. Opened in 1958
Watch House – the cage for beggars and vagabonds plus a 17th whipping post were at the junction with May Road.
Workhouse. A parish workhouse had been opened in 1725 and it was subsequently enlarged several times together with the setting up of committee of management. The parish became part of Brentford Union in 1836 and the workhouse was sold in 1838. It stood south of Colne Road and east of Briar Road. It had been demolished by 1846
78 Briar House. 18th three storey house. .this is the only survivor of a number of large houses which stood around the common. From 1900 it was the home of 1900 Col. Edward George Moore Donnithorne, who invented razor wire. His wife took in washing which continued as a Ladies Laundry into the 1930s
Named for Copt Hall which was a local big house and home of the Burdett family. Copt Hall itself was north of Heath Road in the area of Holly Road
72-88 site of Marsh Farm. The farm dated from the 17th when it was arable becoming mixed use by the mid-19th. It was tenanted by the Poupart family from around 1880 when farming in the area was concentrating on market gardening and fruit. This was still there in the 1930s and had been a fruit farm developed by William Poupart associated with a jam factory in Third Cross Road.
Craneford Way Recreation Ground
Craneford Way Depot. Richmond Council depot
Mereway sewage works and dust destructor. This was built in 1879 by the Borough Surveyor, Frederick Pearce, and consultant Mr. Fairley, and with machinery from Tyler Engineering. Population growth in the early 20th rendered it obsolete and work transferred to the newly built Mogden site. The sewage works and destructor buildings remain on site inside the Craneford Way depot.
Craneford Playing Fields – east and west are separated by Marsh Farm Lane
Marsh Farm Triangle. This is a a tiny patch of woodland and scrub between the Rifle Club entrance drive, Marsh Farm Lane and the River Crane
Twickenham Technical College and School of Art. Built 1937. This is Now Richmond on Thames College. The College was formed in 1977 by a merger of the Sixth form colleges from Sheen and Thames Valley with the Twickenham College. It has its own sports hall its own security service. It sends more students to university year than any other institution in Europe.
Greggs Bakery. Greggs are a Newcastle based bakery firm. In 1994 they took over Allied Bakeries, setting up divisions in their business. One of these is Greggs of Twickenham which consists of 90 ex-Allied Bakeries shops
Crane Mews – this is a regenerated grenade factory from 1915
Electricity works. In 1900 Edmondson’s Electricity Corporation began to electrify the area. They set up the Twickenham and Teddington Electricity Supply Company and bought land west of Talbot Road for an electricity works. The original buildings survive, built in 1901 by T. J. Messom. Electricity supply began in 1902 initially for 3,000 lights. The works was extended after the Great War and the area of supply spread to Hampton and Hampton Wick. The work had chimneys more than 100ft high and the coal for its boilers was delivered by the railway that runs along its north side. Turned into housing.
166 The Red Lion. For a while called Filthy’s. It closed in 2010 and has become a Tesco.
Stoop Memorial Ground. Harlequins’ Rugby Football club. The Club was founded in 1866 as Hampstead Football Club and renamed in 1870. A meeting was called and because the HFC monogram had to be retained, a dictionary was produced and they agreed on Harlequin. In 1906, the club was invited by the Rugby Football Union to use the new national stadium in Twickenham and it became their Headquarters. They also acquired an athletics ground nearby which became the training pitch. This is now their main ground and is called the Stoop Memorial Ground, named after Adrian Dura Stoop, who won 15 caps for England.
Simba Court. Housing on the site of industrial premises.
51 site of Royal Albert pub. Closed 1950s and housing built on the site
61- 62 Albion Beer Shop. Closed and now housing.
Marsh Farm Road
Cottages built in the 1880s for railway workers
Once called Stacon or Staten Lane
From the northern end of the road the lane continues as a footpath, crossing the river at Chase Bridge, crossing the railway and running between the playing fields to Craneford Road.
The original buildings of Marsh Farm may have been in the area near the footbridge over the Crane, where they were at risk of flooding
Mereway Nature Park. This lies at the junction of the River Crane and the Duke of Northumberland River. It was once allotments and has been allowed to regenerate, resulting in a mixture of scrub and emergent woodland forming a valuable local wildlife habitat.
Isolation Hospital by the railway. 1883-1909
Bathing place opened 1895. Soon handling numbers too big to be coped with. Closed 1930s because of pollution
The Albany. Opened for the railway
Railway Transformer building
Cottages built in the 1880s for railway workers
Twickenham Green is a large wedge-shaped open space which once part of the common land of Hounslow Heath rather than an ancient village green. Hounslow Heath was enclosed in 1818. Some pieces of land were kept for common use and Twickenham Common was one – then called Little Common. Half of it was used as the Workhouse Allotment for growing vegetables and the remainder allocated to the Poor. It was thus part compensation for the loss of fuel rights on the Common. It was sold to Twickenham Town Council in the 1860s as public space. The trees were planted in 1872.
K6 telephone box.
Pump. Given for the use of the poor by Countess Waldegrave in 1894
Air raid shelters dug under the Green during the Second World War
Horse and cattle trough
Toilets - now a bistro
Twickenham Baptist Church. Dates from 1915 and replaced a previous building of 1853
Prince Blucher Pub. This was built in 1845, and is named after Prussian Field Marshal, Gebhard Blucher, who helped The Duke of Wellington in The Battle of Waterloo
St Martins Church. This Mission Church was here from 1914 as a mission of the parish of St.Mary but in 1933, it became a conventional district. The modern parish of All Hallows is founded on this district but All Hallows church is north of here. It is now the location of the local beekeepers' association.
Cole’s Brewery. The Cole family had been brewers in Twickenham from at least the mid 17th. The business was kept in the family and by 1800 they had acquired more breweries and a number of tied houses. In 1892 the business was transferred to Brandon’s Putney brewers and the brewery ceased making beer in 1906. The site later became a Royal Mail sorting office.
Heatham House. Built for himself by brewer, Cole. It was bought by Middlesex County council in 1944 and has been used as a youth work centre ever since.
British History. Twickenham. Web site.
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Cinema Theatre Association, Newsletter
Force. Web site.
London Borough of Richmond. Web site.
London, Hidden places
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London,
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Pub history. Web site.
Richmond upon Thames College. Wikipedia, Web site
Simpson. Twickenham Past
Twickenham Museum. Web site
Walford. Village London