River CraneThe Crane flows north eastwards
This posting represents only sites on the north of the river. the south bank sites are at Ham Street, Riverside
Post to the west Twickenham
Post to the north St. Margarets
Post to the east Ham House and Marble Hill
Post to the south Twickenham Crossdeep and Ham Lands
Amyard Park Road
22 School House. Part of a coach building works pre-1852 owned by the Corben family. In the 18th the firm was in Great Queen Street in Central London
St Mary’s Primary School. It originated from 1645 and had been on various sites. By 1860 the school had outgrown the buildings in School Alley and the Parish Council decided on new buildings. Three schools were built - Infants, Boys and Girls and then opened in 1862. In 1930 the school became an Infant School and Junior Mixed School. In 1972 they were combined. In 2003 it became a two form entry school with the infants only on this site.
St. John’s Hospital. The Hospital was founded in 1879 by Elizabeth Twining who bought Amyand House and gave it to the hospital trustees. The Provident and Outpatient Department of the Hospital opened in 1879 and two wards in 1880. It was intended for local residents who could not afford to pay for medical attendance but could pay a subscription. Following financial crises it closed but reopened under the Charity Commission in 1885. The hospital was extended during the 1930s and neighbouring Newlands House was bought. In 1948 it became part of the National Health Service but despite improvements was felt to be inadequate. It closed in 1985 but continued in use for the care of elderly mentally ill patients. It closed for this in 2009.
60 Amyand House. This is an 18th house within the hospital complex and surrounded by later buildings.
Candler Almshouses. The original parish almshouses near The Embankment were restored by Elizabeth Twining in 1876. They were replaced in 1936 through a bequest of William Candler. They are for women only.
This was once called Shews Lane
Brick bridge over the railway. East of this was the goods yard
Rose and Crown Pub. Closed 1890s.
Cross Keys Pub. Closed 1900
Plaque on cottages, with date, to Dr. Leeson who donated land to the town.
On the site of the railway goods yard
There may have been a causeway from here leading to a settlement on Eel Pie Island and a watercourse crossed the upper end of the car park.
The street was the main way through Twickenham for travellers between Richmond and the West until York Street was built
St. Mary's Church. It is thought there may have been Saxon building here but the earliest record is for 1332. By the 18th the old building had structural problems and services were being held in a temporary building in the churchyard. The church did actually fall down and was rebuilt by 1714 with John James as the architect. It was on the footprint of the old building and included the original tower. There are eight bells in the tower; the oldest, 'John' maybe 1540. The oldest memorial is to Henry VI’s cook 1443. There is a Gibbons memorial to the Ashe family 19th Victorian stained glass were destroyed in 1944 through bombing but there is another window with the arms of Godfrey Kneller who is buried in the church. Pope was buried here and there is also a memorial to his parents.
Churchyard. In the wall is a stone which records a flood. The road here is liable to flooding but the 1774 water level is recorded here.
The Manor House, later called Arragon Towers, stood diagonally opposite the church, with a large park to the north. It was the Dower House of Catherine of Aragon. It is first mentioned in 1446 and was demolished in 1934
3 Arragon House. House built in 1859 in brick
7 The Twickenham Club. This was set up as the Twickenham Club and Institute in 1865. Formed as a temperance club it began in railway arches and moved here as a working men’s club before the Great War.
9-11 Eel Pie. A Hall and Woodhouse house that only been a pub in 20th.
44-46 a 1980 refurbishment of two 18th buildings, by Manning, Clamp & Partners.
The Fox, stuccoed 18th with weatherboarding
King Street Parade. Developments from the 1930s following the breakup of the Poulett Lodge estate
Twickenham Picture Palace was a shop conversion that opened as a cinema in June 1910. It was very short lived.
Grove Lodge flats, developments from the 1930s following the breakup of the Poulett Lodge estate
Eyot Lodge. Thames Eyot art deco flats built in 1935 on the site of Poulett Lodge. This was part of an investment development by local butcher William Skull
The site was once meadows and osier beds. A house was built in 1701 for Sir Thomas Skipworth and later the home of the 11th Earl of Mar. He designed the gardens which descended in terraces to the Thames where there was an embankment, with a watergate, trees, statues with other pavilions and summerhouses. The house was burnt down in 1734.
Poulett Lodge. This was an 18th replacement house and named for the 3rd Earl Poulett. It went through a number of owners and in 1870 it was acquired William Henry Punchard, who re-built the house to the design of Fred Chancellor. In the 1880s it was owned by William Nicholson under whom the gardens were much extended and included many glasshouses. It was later owned by shipbuilder, John Willis, and then by a property company. In 1926 it became a social club with nine-hole golf course and tennis courts. By 1929 this outfit was bankrupt. The Lodge was demolished in 1933 but the coach house and stables survive. There remains a riverside lawn with a stone balustrade, built in the 19th by Punchard. There is an 18th stone loggia at one end and at the other a grotto. At the north end is a 19th boathouse and wet dock also built for Punchard. Grounds were replanted in 1962.
Grotto. The date of this is not known and it may originally have been an icehouse. It is square with a bricked up arch to the river. It has a semi-circular vault with coloured pebbles and shells set in geometric patterns with a circle and star at the centre.
Coach house. This 18th survival from the original big house is now called Poulett Lodge which has preserves the name
Eel Pie island
Eel Pie Island. This name of this private island seems to date from the 19th and it was earlier called ‘Cose Eyte’ – goose island - or the ‘the parish ayte’ or ‘Twickenham Ait’. ‘Eel Pie’ refers to a pub here which specialised in such pies. The island was at one time in three parts and possibly connected to main land by a causeway. In the 19th trippers from London came here. It is connected to the mainland by a foot bridge. One main walkway runs much of the length of this narrow island, with houses, studios and boathouses along either side.
Footbridge. This was built in 1957 – although there had been plans in 1889 in connection with a proposed swimming pool. It was in pre stressed concrete called “Snapper Bridge”. Designed by Giffords, and an innovation in engineering. In 1998 it had to be replaced after the severing of post-tensioning cables by British Gas and in the meantime a ferry service was run to the rowing club who built a special pontoon for it. The new bridge is constructed in steelwork and replicates the original details
The Eel Pie Hotel. Original the Ship Pub it was later called The White Cross. It was replaced with a larger establishment in 1830 and sold eel pies to visitors and was thus called Eel Pie Hotel. From the 1950s this establishment made an enormous contribution to the development of British R&B music following management of the venue by Alexis Korner. It closed and was burnt down in 1971 while being demolished.
Twickenham Rowing Club. 1860. Louis Philippe, King of France, in 1848 was exiled in England living in Twickenham. His fifth son, Henri was the Club's first President 1860 – 1897 succeeded by his great nephew Philippe. The first boathouse, a floating structure, was built in 1861/62 in the winter of 1872/73 a storm caused the boathouse to sink and it remained submerged for some time. In 1876 the club were presented with the freehold of the present site and plans were begun for a new boathouse. The architect was W.T.Mann, and the contractors C.Saunders & Son. In 1930 a rowing tank was excavated and a tank building erected and there were many subsequent improvements. Much of the club house and facilities have now been completely refurbished and rebuilt
Nature reserve. The Poulett Lodge estate included land on Eel Pie Island which is now managed by Richmond Council as a nature reserve. There is an artificial sand cliff built for sand martins. There are also other birds and bats.
Bird sanctuary at the southern end of the island.
Thames Electric Steam Launch Works. Electric boats were pioneered on the Thames by William Sergeant in Chiswick. In 1891 he set up sheds and a new charging station on Eel Pie Island. In 1907 this was taken over by Joseph Mears who went on to build up a large fleet of passenger launches
Viking Marine. Firm on site here in the 1950s which made small boats in aluminium alloy. The site included Sans Souci
George Sims Racing Boats. The firm built boats for the boat race and undertook other boat related work. They moved here in 1951 but have now closed. The site included Sans Souci.
Richmond Yacht Club. Founded in 1934 this is a motor cruising clubs based here since 1962. Phil Collins his honorary president and played here with his dad as a child.
Eel Pie Marine. In 1985 this was set up as business units for all sorts of small operations – a dental laboratory, carpenter, artists and craftsmen. It was eventually burnt down.
Eel Pie Island Slipways. Phoenix Wharf. Undertake boat repairs since 1983.
Twickenham Ferry. This has also been called Dysart’s Ferry. It ran from just downstream of Eel Pie Islands to a point neat Ham House. It is first noted in 1652 and was one of several. When Ham House was passed to the National Trust the ferry became privately owned. It closed in the early 1970s.
Public library. Built in 1906-7 to designs by Howard Goadby. Twickenham's first public library dated from 1882, but by 1902 had outgrown the space at the Town Hall, and £6,000 was obtained from the Andrew Carnegie foundation for a new building. This housed a lending library a basement store and a first-floor reference library, there was also a lecture theatre. Outside are sculptures of Alexander Pope and Alfred, Tennyson, there are also female figures writing, reading and painting. Inside on the staircase wall is a plaque commemorating Edward Thorne who died trying to save a drowning lady in 1916.
St James House. Office block on the site of St. James Roman Catholic school had been started in 1893.the school itself may have stood on the site of the first St. James's chapel
Orleans Infant School, This was originally Orleans Council School opened in 1911. This was also Orleans Secondary school which was eventually demolished and some smaller building retained.
The Great Vitriol Works of 1736 set up Joshua Ward and John White. This is thought to be one of the earliest factories for vitriol manufacture of sulphuric acid. The factory was on the north side of Heath Lane. The procedure, using saltpetre with sulphur produced a bad smell. The factory probably closed in 1749, following an legal case against the pollution caused
42 Three Kings. This pub first opened in 1731 at number 14. In the early 20th it moved to number 30 and then in in 1913 Queens Square was demolished to make way for Copthall Gardens. With the Magnet Pub, which has now gone, the Three Kings moved to number 42.
The Luxor Picture Theatre opened in 1929. It was built for Walter Bentley, as a cine-variety theatre with a proscenium a stage and four dressing rooms. It had an Egyptian theme and customers were shown to their seats by usherettes dressed as would-be Queen Cleopatras. It had a Compton 2Manual/8Rank theatre organ, opened by organist John Armitage, and there was the Luxor Orchestra. In 1932 it was sold to the Joseph Mears Theatre chain and in 1944 was sold to Odeon Theatres and re-named Odeon in 1946. It was closed by the Rank Organisation in 1981. There was a closing organ concert on the Compton. It was demolished in 1986
This was once called Back Lane.
Garden of Rest. This was Holly Road Burial Ground in 1782 but was full by 1835 and closed in 1868 although some continued until 1875. In 1953 it was laid out as a public garden and replanted in 1991. Burials include members or the Twining’s Tea family. There are iron railings and hedges plus high brick walls. Inside is grass, paths, seating and a railed children's playground. Trees include yew, holly and two Pride of India trees.
29-35 Acorn Group Practice in modern premises. The practice dates back to the 1930s.
Much widened on the east side after Richmond House was demolished in 1925. This is the central street
Richmond House was demolished in 1925. It had stood on the south side of King Street behind a high blank wall. Built in 1816 it replaced an earlier house which dated from between 1635 and 1708. It was purchased by the local Council in 1924, sanctioned by the Ministry of Health, to provide public walks and pleasure grounds following the death of the last owner. It was considered as a replacement Town Hall but demolished when York House was preferred.
The first town hall was built in King Street in 1876, next to Richmond House. This was privately financed by property developer Charles Freake. It was intended as offices for the Local Board and Mr Freake allowed them to use it free. In 1896 it was leased by the Urban District Council. The front part was demolished in 1926 as part of the widening of King Street
9 this has Queen's Hall at the rear. Between 1882 and 1907 it was the used as municipal offices, a public reading room and a library. It was originally used for meetings, film shows, amateur dramatics and concerts. It passed into private ownership and was used as a dance hall, entertainments for GIs in the Second World War and then for a school of dancing after the war. It is now a marital arts college. The entrance has “Queen's Hall” on the tiled floor. There is a fully functional 19th air ventilation system, behind a decorative metal grille, runs around the hall and foyer areas. The original stage is at the side of the hall and the hall has a sprung floor. A false ceiling in the main hall hides a decorative painted plaster motif of a horse-drawn chariot.
10-12 18th houses with modern shops on the ground floor.
32 George Inn. 17th, with later stucco;
Area of large red brick Edwardian houses built on the site of a house known as Mount Lebanon. The house was replaced in 1794/6 by another of the same name which was burnt down in the early 20th.
Regal House. A large-scale commercial development. Partly used as municipal offices. Built in 1966 by Bernard Gold. This was the site of the Regal Cinema and previously that of Fortescue House. Fortescue House was built in about 1770 by Baron Fortescue. It is possible that it had been site of an earlier theatre. In 1870 it had become the Metropolitan and City Police Orphanage, and then Shaftesbury Homes in 1878. This remained until 1937, when it was demolished.
The Regal Cinema was built for Associated British Cinemas and designed by their architect William R. Glen. It opened in 1939, the opening delayed by two weeks because of the outbreak of the Second World War. It closed in 1960 and the building became a rehearsal studio for ABC Television. It was demolished and Regal House and the Rugby Tavern built on site.
11 Rugby Inn. This has variously been called The Grand Union, Filthy McNasty's, The Hobgoblin, and the Twickers. It called The Black Dog until 1975 and dates from the 18th.
24 The William Webb Ellis. Wetherspoon's pub named after the person who is said to have invented the game of Rugby football. It used to be called the Sorting Room because it is the old Post Office, designed in 1908 by S. Rutherford
41 Police Station
67 Cabbage Patch Pub. Named after the site of the rugby stadium.
Twickenham Station. This opened in 1848 by the London and Windsor Railway. It now lies between St. Margaret’s station to the north and Strawberry Hill stations and also Whitton to the south. It is currently served by South West Trains. The original station was south west of the current station at the east end of Station Road. The railway had deviated to the south in order to reach Twickenham. The original station was built in a ‘Gothic plan. Plans to rebuild the station by the Southern Railway in an “Odeon" style was halted by the Second World War although the track and some of the five planned through platforms in place. In 1954 the present station was finished. The track at platforms 1 and 2 stops at a causeway so that rugby crowds can reach platform 3 without going through the station building.
Perryn House. This was at the junction with Whitton Road. Twining set up an Economical Museum – of Domestic and Sanitary Economy in 1860. Burnt down
Cemetery. The land was given by Queen Victoria in 1838 – recorded on a plaque inside the gate. It was needed because other graveyards were full. The last burial here was in 1955 and it was officially. It is a haven for wildlife. The cemetery has brick walls and railings and separating from surrounding housing. Its layout is of a central path but much overgrown with many trees. There are also a number of war graves and memorials.
Devoncroft. Early 18th house, Stuccoed and roughcast
Newland House. The house was built for the vicar in 1871. In the late 19th it was Newland House School founded in 1897. Named after its former owner, Francis Henry Newland Glossop, J.P. It moved to a larger site in Strawberry Hill Road, in about 1930. It has since been in the use of the health authority
St. Johns Health Centre. Hounslow and Richmond NHS Trusts thought that their community services were too small to function individually. So this a organisation was set up and has operated since 2010 as Hounslow and Richmond Community Healthcare, hosted by NHS Richmond
The Old Chapel. This was the Montpelier Chapel School built in1856 and enlarged before 1870. A rented room across the road was added in 1879, but the main building was later condemned by the Education Department, and the school was closed in 1896
9-11 Orleans Arms. Closed.
10 Orleans Works. The New Orleans Motor Company was founded by H. G. Burford and Johannes van Toll in Twickenham in 1900. They were at first The Burford, Van Toll & Co., but changed their name because of their location in Orleans Road. The Orleans car was a modified version of the Belgian Vivinus voiturette car, built under licence in England. They finished work here in 1910.
27 perfume factory. This was Aromacraft by R.D.Cambell & Co. They make pot pourri, fragrance oils, essential oils and aroma chemicals. The company started in 1948 in Ashford, Middlesex and then were 50 years in Twickenham formulating and producing thousands of products including flavours & aromas for carp anglers. They have since moved to HounslowMiddlesex.
Orleans House, There has been a house here since the 16th. In the 17th it was crown property, and called the Queen's Farm. In the early 18th it was acquired by James Johnston Secretary of State for Scotland. He demolished the old house and commissioned John James to design a new one. This was a rectangular brick building with the Octagon as a garden pavilion. He also had gardens with two canals, a mount with an icehouse, an avenue with vines, a wilderness, a Grotto and other features. Later residents include Louis Philippe Duc d’Orleans, who rented the house as an exile. In 1877 it was converted it into a sports and social club which soon closed and it was later owned by the Cunard family. In 1926 it was demolished by a firm of ballast and gravel merchants but the Octagon, wings and the stable block were saved from demolition. The new owner bequeathed it to the Borough in 1962.
The Octagon and Stables are now art galleries.
Orleans Gardens. Riverside Orleans Gardens were originally linked to Orleans House via a tunnel under the road and were purchased by Twickenham Corporation in the 1930s. These were recreated by volunteers following their use for gravel extraction
The Poulett Lodge estate included parkland on the west side of Cross Deep in the 19th which later became a commercial market garden. This had been agricultural land, part of Hither South Field. It had also contained a mansion house, The Grove which was demolished in 1836. It had had a number of exotic ornamental trees, an apple orchard and a large kitchen garden with soft fruit trained on walls. In 1926 a crescent of private houses was built here.
Twickenham Methodist Church. A hall behind the church was built as a new chapel in 1880 and in 1899, the Christ Church, was added to the 1880 building, which became the Sunday school. In the 1900s the church had a Brotherhood of 500 at meetings but membership dropped in the 1920s
13 Royal Oak. This is thought to have in place by 1635, but then called the Glass & Bottle. It has also been recently called the Twickenham Tup.
71 Old Anchor. This was previously The Anchor Inn and the site of a nasty murder in 1601.
174 Crown Pub. This dates back at least to the 18th.
St Mary’s Church of England Primary School. The original parish school dated to the 17th and was later in Amyard Park Road where part of the school remains. It is now on three sites/
Orleans Park School. This secondary school was opened on the existing site in 1973 and a new block was added in 1993
Lebanon Court. Mansion block of flats standing back from the roadway in gardens
1-3 Richmond Chamber of Commerce. This was the Lyric Palace Cinema opened in 1911 and built for cine-variety. It was closed as a silent cinema when ‘talkies’ were introduced in the late-1920’s. The building has since also been used as a sauna
5-11 Shell Service Station. This was the site of the Twickenham Kinema which was later called The Queens and then The Gaumont, built in 1928. It was a Joseph Mears Theatre. It had a proscenium, a stage, with dressing rooms plus a Compton 2Manual/7Ranks organ. In 1940 it was requisitioned by the Government, for wartime use as a furniture store. In 1944, it was bought by the Odeon Theatres chain, and re-opened in 1945. It was called Queens Cinema until 1950, when it was re-named Gaumont. The Rank Organisation closed it in 1956. It was demolished and a petrol station built on the site.
York House. Simply-designed red-brick house built in the late 17th. White stone terrace and additions, originally called York farm. It has some good panelling and a beautiful staircase. The central portion, earlier known as "Yorke ffarme" was built in the 1630’s and was named from the York family who had owned Twickenham manor. Andrew Pitcarne a former page and groom to Charles I built it in 1638. After his death in 1640 It had a number of aristocratic owners and residents - the Earl of Manchester in 1656, Edward Hyde Earl of Clarendon, 1661,; his son Earl of Rochester until 1681; Sir Charles Tufton in 1689 until 1720 and others. In 1796, it was acquired by Count Stahremberg the Austrian ambassador to London, and leased to the Archbishop of Dublin until 1816. In 1864 it was acquired by directors of Coutts Bank on behalf of the Orleans Pretender, the Comte de Paris. And then in 1876 was bought by Sir Mountstuart Grant Duff a junior minister in Gladstone's first government. In 1896 the Duc d’Orleans bought it. He built the boathouse and an electric generating station to provide DC current to the House which was redecorated throughout with the Orleans 'Fleur de Lys' motif. He left England in 1900 and sold it in 1906 to Sir Ratan Tata a Parsee and a major industrialist in India who founded a school at LSE. He died in 1918 having made many alterations to the house and its grounds. His widow sold the house to Twickenham Urban District Council and it became Council Offices opened by the then Duke of York in 1926. Since 1965 it has been the municipal offices for the London Borough of Richmond, housing the mayor's parlour, staff social club, council chamber, committee rooms and two public halls.
44 Civic Centre for London Borough of Richmond.
York House. Front gardens - this area is a public car park and tennis courts. The car park replaces Sir Ratan Tata’s Dutch Garden
York House Gardens. The rear gardens are bisected by a public road but they go down to the Thames and are open to the public. There are sunken lawns used for an open-air theatre. A Japanese garden built for Sir Ratan has been restored with an irregular pond, wooden bridge, a Young's Weeping Birch, an iron sculpture of Venus and a rockery. Nearby is a wilderness - woodland with specimen trees including church witch hazel, bamboo, cornelian cherry, azalea and viburnum. The Gokhale Walk is named after a former President of the Indian National Congress and winds through the woodland to a sunken garden there is also a cast iron urinal, made Walter Macfarlane Saracen Ironworks, Glasgow and a drinking fountain from 1880 donated by Ellen Reardon. There is a cut leaf beech tree that is one of the "Great Trees of London".
The Oceanides. Fountain by Oscar Spalmach carved in Carrera Marble in the Roman studio of Orazio Andreoni in the 19th. This was collected by Ratan Tata. It was one of the effects of Whittaker Wright and brought to England for his Surrey property but were dispersed when in 1904 he was found guilty of fraud and committed suicide in the dock at the Old Bailey. The statues came to Twickenham in 1909 in their packing cases, and arranged by the firm of J. Cheal & Sons. They were not sold to the Council with York House and in the late 1980s Elizabeth Bell-Wright encouraged the York House Society and the Twickenham Society to save the statues, then facing destruction.
Bridge between the two halves of the gardens. A wooden bridge was replaced here by Sir Ratan with a brick bridge with stone balustrade in 1911.
Ferryside, House set back, 18th roughcast.
The White Swan Inn, 18th with later balconies and a riverside location..
Garden of Remembrance – site of the original vicarage. Demolished in the 1890s. It dated from 1635
'Half Lock'. This enabled the river to be used for recreation at all times and Twickenham thus became a popular venue for rowing, cruising and dinghy sailing
Twickenham Yacht Club. This was founded in Richmond in 1897 as the Swan Sailing Club and moved from pub to pub. By 1910 they were in the Phoenix, a public house in Orleans Road and when this closed during the Great War they moved to the White Swan, and merged with the Twickenham Sailing Club. A boat house had been built in the grounds of York House for the Comte de Paris in the 1870-s this included facilities for an electric launch. Another boathouse was built around 1900 on the riverside at York House Gardens which the club acquired. Sailing takes place from the lower dinghy park acquired in 1959.
Aubrey House Three storey 18th house in stucco with a trellised veranda
Ferry House. 18th house in white stucco.
25 Twickenham Museum. This building probably dates from 1720. It has had a long association with the watermen and ferrymen. The house was occupied by the Hammerton ferry family from 1896 - 1952.
Barmy Arms. A Taylor Walker pub with an upside down sign. A plate on a wall offers several theories about the name. This was originally called the Queen's Head.
Diamond Jubilee Gardens. Built in the site of the old lido, cleared in 2012 and the pool filled in. new railings made to match the original railings which enclosed the site. Also the original diving board has been kept and the swimming pool edge replaced. Architectural hornbeam hedges have been planted and the existing mature hornbeam trees kept and plane trees planted. Opened in 2012 by Princess Alexandra who planted a black poplar tree
Mary Wallace Theatre. This is used by the Richmond Shakespeare Society and is based in a previous Mission Hall. This was built in 1871 by Edis.
Pool. Open-air swimming bath within a high brick enclosure built between King Street and the river. Was bought by Twickenham Council in 1924. It was 165 feet by 55 feet and 10 feet at the deepened, holding 310,000 gallons. It was opened in 1935, and is reported to have had the first “Rotatherm” air and water temperature gauge. The pool suffered from various structural and electrical problems in the 1970s but it closed in 1980 for "refurbishment". In 2005 some buildings and the tank were demolished
Bowyers Coal Yard. This was acquired by the Local Council in 1961for hosuing. However it was then leased to Richmond Shakespeare Society and granted to the Yacht Club
Built as a bypass road in 1899
2. Barclays Bank. Stone 20th building on a semi-circular corner site.
26-28 The Bear
42 London Borough of Richmond Social Services Dept. This is was an office latterly owned by South Eastern Electricity Board. Can find nothing out about it – it has an amazing presence with a clock tower, and wonderful art deco illustrations of lighting all round it.
British History on line. Twickenham. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clarke, In Our Grandmother’s Footsteps
Clunn. The Face of London,
Connor. Forgotten Stations.
Field. London Place
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Greater London Council .Thames Guidelines,
Greater London Council, Thames side survey,
Lidos in London. Web site
London Borough of Richmond. Web site
London Footprints. Web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
London Transport. Country Walks
Meulankamp and Wheatley. Follies
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
National Archive. Web site
Orleans Park School. Web site.
Parker. North Surrey
Pevsner and Cherry. South. London
Port of London Authority Magazine
R.D.Campbell. Web site
St.Mary’s Church. Web site
Three Kings. Web site
Twickenham Club. Web site.
Twickenham Museum. Web site.
Twickenham Rowing Club. Web site
Walford. Village London,