The Crane flows northwards and is met by a tributary from the west
Post to the south Twickenham and Ham Street Riverside
Post to the north Isleworth and Richmond Old Deer Park Riverside
Post to the west Twickenham Rugby
Post to the east Richmond Central and Riverside and Twickenham Park
46 modern movement house
built 1935 by Couch & Coupland of Richmond.
Amyand Park Road
The road is said to be named after Claudius Amyand who came to England as a
refugee and became a surgeon and in 1735 he performed the first appendectomy
Amyand Park Chapel. Reformed Evangelical Baptist Church. This was founded
in 1889 when 42 bought three plots of land here and built a corrugated iron
structure. Those who came to the first service had to bring their own chairs
and umbrellas. A new building was opened in 1952
This is the name of the area running along the railway which to the north is
Moormead Recreation Ground. It was vested in the Parochial Schools whose
trustees sold it as a public recreation ground
In 1263 a group of barons led by Simon de Montfort gathered in Twickenham
Park to persuade Henry III to accept the Provisions of Oxford which placed the
government in the hands of feudal lords, hence the name
The Old Stables, housing and
workplace units in old stable block.
Globe Works. This art deco factory building appears to have
been known the Winchester Works. Grigg Motorcycles were in a Winchester works
in this area in the early 1920s – but this factory must post date the arterial
road built in the early 1930s. The Grigg works may have lain behind houses
demolished for the road. Post war it was
used by Bell and Howell the US film equipment manufacturers – or their G B
branch, eventually owned by Rank.
Cole Park Road
Stephen Cole was a local brewer whose family lived and brewed locally from
the 18th, Cole Park Road reflects this family name.
16a Crown Works. Now converted to housing
Site of Ailsa Park Villas. Of
the original ten houses only one remains.
Others were either demolished for the railway or damaged by bombing in
the Second World War. In 1838 Dickens family rented number 2.
All Souls Church. Built 1896-8 by E. Monson in Red brick.
Inside is a war memorial. It replaced a temporary iron church
dedicated to Saint Margaret, which had been used since 1886. The church was closely connected with Christian
socialist Stewart Headlam who in old age lived locally and preached at the
church. There is a memorial and a plaque to him in the church.
Ivy Bridge. This bridge is over the
tributary stream to the Crane and was ‘Mother Ivey's Bridge' this is Cornish
for Eve and is on the ram's feet, similar name at Glastonbury
Ivy Bridge Retail Park
137 Neville House. This was probably built in 1725, by Captain William
Lister of the Foot Guards. Thomas
Twining II acquired it in the mid-19th. It was converted into flats
Drill hall. Air Force Cadets and Air Training Cadets. A new timber hall was
recently built to replace an existing Air Force Cadet hut and Nissan huts
dating from 1945
Moor Mead Road
Moor Mead Park. Moor Mead was the name of the area north of Bandy Close and
used as the recreation ground. To create it the river Crane was diverted to the
west. The park is part of River Crane Walk. It has sports areas with a 20th
pavilion. It has a cricket club and tennis courts leased to private club.
Moormead Bridge. Built 1902 over the Crane with a commemorative plaque installed
by the Cole Park Residents Association.
Northcote Avenue Recreation
Ground. Sports area.
Carnegie Hall. Hounslow Furniture
St. George's Road
Part of the St. Margaret’s
Pleasure gardens. The largest of the three ‘pleasure gardens’ lies between here
and Ailsa Road. A lake
remains together with some remain of 18th landscape planting. This lake
was dug for drainage in the 15th. There are also two iron bridges
with segmental arches and a mound at the south end. A number of London planes
planted by Batty Langley in the 18th remain near the lake.
This area was once part of the Twickenham Park estate. There was a big
house here in the 1560s with formal gardens once owned by Francis Bacon. He
sold it in 1608 to the Countess of Bedford who built a new house and laid out a
formal garden, possibly designed by Salomon de Caus. The park was broken up in
the early 19th
St. Margaret’s Estate was laid out in the 1850s after the Ailsa Park lands
were purchased by the Conservative Land Society and built in the grounds of St
Margaret House as a garden suburb by their Architect and surveyor George Morgan. The
original design was for family houses laid out around three ‘pleasure gardens; preserving
some of the existing gardens between The Avenue and the river. A Trust was set
up in 1854 to look them. Housing varies on the estate and some villas are faced
with stone patented by architect John Taylor.
107 St Margaret's Tavern.
This was originally a Temperance hotel, The Lord Lyon, changing in 1881. After
a period as a station pub, it has been extended and restyled
St.Margaret's Station. Opened in 1876 it now lies between Twickenham and
Richmond on South Western Trains. It
was opened by the London and South Western Railway on the line from Waterloo to
130 St Margaret of Scotland. Ruthlessly
simple Roman Catholic Church by Williams & Winkley built in 1968. Forticrete
concrete block walls, with steel trusses supporting flat roofs. An ingeniously
compact plan, based, on a series of rectangles. . A hall can be opened up to
the main church at the back and the vestries are below. There is patent
industrial glazing apart from two stained glass windows Patrick Reyntiens, the
latter an abstract rendition of the Second Coming. The weekday chapel has Stations of the Cross,
and a figure of Our Lady by Lindsay Clarke. Over the altar is a crucifix by
Stephen Sykes, a memorial to Father Sidney Dommerson, who commissioned the
church and who died within a few days of the building completion. This is the
first church by Austin Winkley, who was a member of the New Churches Research
Group, founded in 1957 to promote a modern idiom appropriate to the ideas of
the Liturgical Movement. Bringing the clergy and laity closer together the
Second Vatican Council in 1962-5 saw the acceptance by the Roman Catholic
Church of many of the movement's ideas,
134 Downes House. Stuccoed and built in 1830 it is a contrast to
the church next door. Associations with Dickens. Tile-hung flats in the front garden.
263 Ailsa Tavern. The pub dates from 1856
Egyptian style pink and grey mausoleum for the Francis Jack Needham second Earl of Kilmorey. It was built in 1854 by Mr. Kendall and
brought to its present location later. Supposed to be in Brompton
Cemetery but he took it around with him.
Kilmorey Wildlife Garden – this surrounds the mausoleum
The earliest houses on the
St.Margaret’s estate. Some have a stucco trim and the later ones colourful
Twickenham Film Studios.
This is on an old ice-rink site and was opened in 1913 by Ralph Jupp as The
London Film Company and was then the largest studio in the UK. Following use by
a number of other companies in 1929 it was owned by Julius Hagen and Leslie
Hiscott and renamed Twickenham Film Studios. RCA Photophone equipment was
installed in order to make talkies. A new stage was added in 1934. The old building
was burnt down in 1935 plus all the cameras and equipment. In the Second World War the Studios took a
direct hit from a bomb, and suffered much damage. In 1946 Alfred Shipman formed
Alliance Film Studios Limited, controlling the studios and many big box office
pictures were made. Guido Coen established Coenda Films, making over a dozen
feature films. Then in 1959 Kenneth Shipman formed Bryanston Films making many successful
films. The studios were then redeveloped with, in 1961 a new modern recording theatre.
Landmark films were made. The studios expanded with Novello Lodge, comprising
ten large cutting rooms and eight offices. Richard Attenborough maintained a
suite here and Richmond Lodge was built for production offices in in 1975. In
1986 a new Sound Centre was opened as
well as a new theatre. The Studios still continues to build on previous
This was once called Turks Lane
St. Stephens Church of England
School. This was opened in 1876 under government inspection and a second
building opened in 1896. The older building was demolished
Turks Head pub. On the façade are plaques
to William Gomm & Son, Beehive Brewery, Brentford. It is now a Fullers house.
It was built in 1902. It has music and a comedy club,
St Margaret’s Works. Tamlin Poultry Products which produced items like wire
St Margaret’s Works. Kinco, part of British Metal (Kingston) Ltd, moved
here in 1930, and continued until c1963. They continued production of Kinco
wares until the outbreak of war in 1939 when they switched to making labels,
nameplates and other printed or engraved items for aircraft, etc. The firm
moved to new premises in Witney, Oxfordshire and was bought out in 1984. The
name 'Kinco' is abbreviated from Kingston-on-Thames
All Souls Church. Web site
Amyard Park Chapel. Web site
British listed buildings. Web site
CAMRA Twickenham. Web site
Field. London Place Names
London Gardens Online. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. South London,
Pevsner and Cherry. . London North West
Twickenham Museum. Web site
Twickenham Studios. Web site
Walford. Village London,
Middleton, Railway Stations, Southern Region,