The brook flows east and south
Post to the west Kenton
Post to the east Kenton
A cottage estate built in the 1920s by Mr Jeffress, who lived in Kenton Grange.
St.Gregory’s RC High School. Opened in 1956 it is now a specialist science college.
Brockhurst Corner – name of the junction with Kenton Road
Blacksmith here still in the 1930s
To the east of the Methodist Church the road originally followed the route of Woodgrange Avenue and was a continuation of Kenton Lane. In the early 20th the road layout here was changed.
St Mary the Virgin. The parish of Kenton was formed in 1927 as a Mission District taken from a number of local parishes. Initially this was a wooden church, dedicated to St. Leonard. It was replaced by a permanent church in 1936, with money from the sale of the site of St. Mary the Virgin, Charing Cross. This is the Anglican parish church built in 1935-1936 by the architect Harold Gibbons and a local firm of builders, Melsom & Rosier. It was built with money raised by the sale of a church in Charing Cross. It was founded in and has stood in the tradition of the Oxford Movement. The church is in yellow brick with stone dressings and inside fittings include a font from St. Giles, Cripplegate, and fragments of glass from All Saints, North Street, York
Kenton Methodist church. This was opened in 1927 in temporary accommodation ad the first service in the new building was on 1929 - the building this building is now the church Hall. The present church building was opened in 1937 and edt4nded in 1952 with a Hall, classrooms kitchen and meeting rooms. In the 1940s church services were broadcast during each month.
Telephone Exchange. This was built in the 1930s and handles the Wordsworth exchange
192 St Luke’s Hospice. This is in the buildings of Kenton Grange
237 Courtlands – known the Doctor’s House. This building has been a nursing home and the Head Quarters of the Society of Radiographers
387 Scouts hall
390 Ghashnyam Education centre. Nursery school attached to the Hindu Temple to the rear.
396 Dunwoody House, Construction and consulting engineers
383 Blue Ginger restaurant which was, or is, the Plough pub
New Moon. Wetherspoons pub
Mock Tudor Estate by Captain E G Spencer Churchill. 1923 and built by Costain. Churchill had inherited the Kenton estate in 1912. He planned plans to develop an estate with a tennis and social club as the focal point – but in the end it was less ambitious than planned.
Masonic Centre. This was The Palaestra built as the estate's social and sports club in 1923, in 5 acres of grounds. This sports club was the venue for the Brent Junior Lawn Tennis Championships and in 1932 for the All England Lawn Tennis championships. In 1953 it was sold to the Masons. Planning permission was granted for change if use and one squash court became a meeting room and the tennis courts became a car park. New meeting rooms were built in 1966.
Kenton Synagogue. A synagogue was established in Kenton Park Avenue in 1948. The congregation built a new Synagogue here in 1958 and it was extended in 1962
Shri Kutch Satsang Swaminarayan Temple. This is a Swaminarayan Temple which moved here in 1996. It includes a day care centre for the elderly as well as a library, kitchen and offices
St. Johns United Reform Church. – sited at a view point from the Masonic centre. It was designed by C. R. Brightiff and completed in 1932. It is in grey red multi brick. The Presbyterian Church in England built a hall in 1930 and the current church building followed later.
Area of the pre-railway centre of Kenton.
The park is part of the grounds of what was Kenton Grange taken over by Middlesex County Council in 1952. It is in two parts, divided by the Wealdstone Brook which runs here unculverted. The stream divides with a man -made channel running straight and the original course running south. They meet again creating an island with grass and some horse chestnuts trees. The park itself has trees and shrubs, some of which are unusual and include copper beech, Oriental plane, conifers, redwood, and an ancient mulberry. South of the brook are recreational facilities plus grass some horse chestnuts, weeping willow and poplars
In 1805 John Lambert built a house he called Kenton Lodge - later renamed Kenton Grange. Later residents included John Gwynne, inventor of the centrifugal pump and Frederick Sang, artist and architect It was purchased in the 1950s by Wembley Corporation as a "a large mansion with three lodges and two cottages in extensive grounds.”. They used it as an old people’s home. . It is now St Luke's Hospice and in the private grounds is the Victorian stabling block and two lodges. It was these buildings that were used as the workshops for the model railway- which employed two full time workers,
Woodcock Park. The northern area was part of the grounds of Kenton Grange. The land between the house and the Wealdstone Brook was owned in the 1920s by a Mr Jeffress, whose son Joseph Jeffress built a miniature railway round the embankment of the stream. This was added to by the Kenton Model Railway Society in the late 1930s. During the Second World War the track was surrounded by allotments – leading to many rows. Although the club flourished they had to leave when the site was sold in 1950
SourcesHistory of Middlesex, Middlesex County Council
History of Middlesex. Harrow. Web site
Kenton Methodist church. Web site
Kenton Model Railway Society., Web site
Kenton Road. Wikipedia Web site.
Kenton Synagogue Web site
London Borough of Brent web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
St.Gregory’s School. Web site
St.John’s web site
St. Mary the Virgin. Web site