brook flows south eastwards and north east
Park Station. The station lies between Finchley Road and Preston Road on the
Metropolitan Line and between Neasden and Kingsbury on the Jubilee Line. The first station was opened in 1894 by the
Metropolitan Railway to serve the pleasure grounds developed
by the Company at Wembley Park - a country estate bought by them for excursion
trips on the company's trains. It initially served only Saturday football matches
in the park - In fact the first train to call there is said to have been a
football special. Later in the 1890s, The Great Central Railway London extension line was
constructed adjacent to the Metropolitan Railways’ tracks but trains were not allowed
to stop here although they pass under the building and there was no platform
provided – the lines go straight through.
In 1905 the tracks were electrified and additional tracks
were added. In 1932 they opened a branch line north from here to Stanmore and
after the formation of the London Passenger Transport Board this stretch became
part of the Bakerloo Line and in 1979 part of the Jubilee Line. In 1948 works were
carried out to tart it up for the Olympics – using old pre-war stock from
stores. It was given a new ticket hall and so on. 433,000 spectators came to
Wembley by underground and during those 15 days, over a million people used
Wembley Park Station. . More recently it
has been extended to handle capacity for crowds attending Wembley Stadium. In 1996, a staircase was built from the 1948 extension which
remained here unfinished state until 2004 and it was completed in time for the
opening of the new Wembley stadium in 2007. Outside is a stone plaque with
the letters M.R – it stands for 'Metropolitan Railway'. Although it has been extended
and rebuilt but retains its original booking hall. .
15 Torch Pub, opened in 1956
Ark Academy. One of a chain of schools, privately run but
state funded. This one is new. Built on the site of the London Transport Sports
Ground. New sports pitches at the rear are
supposed to have public access.
Moore Bridge. This was opened in 1993
and is a road traffic bridge over the roadway from the tube station to the
football ground. There is a plaque under
the bridge which refers to its naming after a footballer and was opened by his
widow. There are also murals depicting footballing scenes.
between the railway line and the Wealdstone Brook
car park. This is the biggest car park
of all the underground stations with 634 car spaces
rise housing was built here as part of the 1965 Chalkhill Estate
was an ancient manor on land which belonged to Edward the Confessor and then
Estate. Small plots were sold to builders here in the 1920s encouraged by the
nearby Empire Exhibition.
Chalkhill Estate. The estate was planned by the old
Wembley Council to move people out of Willesden. It was built by the London
Borough of Brent. It was high density and high rise with some amenity and open
space as well as some low rise developments. There were however 30 high-rise Bison
blocks linked by 'walkways in the sky'. Homes were all-electric utilizing with
central heating and waste disposal systems. By the 1970s it had become a focus
for crime plus vandalism from visiting football fans. The estate was partly
demolished in 2000 and rebuilt financed by selling land to ASDA
Combined Facilities Building. Built 2009. This includes a Community Centre, a
Health Centre, offices for the Metropolitan Housing Trust and 42
Patadat Centre - Advait Cultural Centre.
Funded by a Gujarati Trust. Wave formed roof with cigar shaped supports,
interiors with coloured lights. Halls, theatre, classrooms, library. Agenda 21
Town Hall. Built as Wembley Town Hall in
1935-40 and influenced by Hornsey Town Hall. It was designed by Clifford
Strange who go first prize in a competition run by Wembley Urban District
council for the design. It has a long
austere front with a staircase tower in brick, behind the forecourt are offices,
a public library and assembly hall at the back, the council chamber was upstairs in the centre.
The foyer had veneers and Botticino marble.
Industrial and trading area. Runs along the backs of
some of the Empire Exhibition buildings, including the Palace of Industry.
House. A 17th building on an older foundation, stood very roughly at
the northern end of the road. The house
originated with the Chalkhill family who owned land and a mill in the area in the
16th. The properties passed into other hands and in the 1880s this
house was occupied by H, Rawlings of the soft drinks company. It later became a
private school, Kingsgate School, and was demolished in the 1960s.
Court. World Evangelism Mission. Operates in USA, Uganda and Congo
Court – LCC type flats
Hall. Built 2010 on site of Northway Garage. This is not tied to a specific
college but is provided by a company with other such sites
Durkin & Sons Ltd. The company dates from 1980 and as
a contractor to the electricity companies, cable manufacturers specialising in underground
EHV cable installation
and Fransen Engineers
Park Business Centre. Industrial and
of a redesigned area around the station dating form 2006
Sculpture of a field athlete by Stanley
Olympic Way links Wembley Park Station with the Wembley football ground.
It was built in the 1940s by German Prisoners of War.
Arena House. North
West London College building.
rise housing was built here as part of the 1965 Chalkhill Estate
London Premier Inn Wembley Stadium
House. This is now a department of The College
of North West London’s Wembley Park Campus as it originally was back in 2007. It was supposed to be rebuilt, but
this has not happened
TV Studios. The Fountain Studios is currently,
known as the live stage for popular ITV shows. It is the largest fully equipped
television studio in Britain with a soundproof double door which can turn the
space into two separate studios. The site was originally owned by British
International Pictures in 1927, and later the American Fox Film Company leased
it and they retained ownership throughout the Second World War. It continued to
be the production centre for many popular ITV shows, under the ownership of
London Weekend, and others, until taken over by Fountain in 1993. They
demolished studios 1 to 4 from the original complex to make way for a retail
Behind the Blue Plaques
Blue Plaque Guide
Clunn. The Face of London
English Heritage. London Town Halls.
Field. London Place Names
Fountain Studios. Wikipedia Web site.
London Borough of Brent. Web site.
London Railway Record
Real Beer in London,
Thames Basin Archaeological Group
Wembley Park Station. Wikipedia Web