Wealdstone Brook - Preston Road Station
The Wealdstone Brook flows southwards. It is joined by tributaries from the north and west
Post to the north Kenton
The farmlands between Woodcock Hill and Preston Hill were part of the Lyon Farm estate which since the 17th had been used as income for Harrow School. In the 1920s the school authorities sold off land for development by F & C Costin and the roads on the estate were named after prominent Harrovians
John Perrin Place
Built in 1960 on the site of John Lyon’s medieval farmhouse
The farm belonged to the Lyon family from the 14th. It was probably the birthplace of John Lyon a local landowner who founded Harrow School in 1572. He left the farm as an endowment for the upkeep of the school. It was rebuilt around 1700.
The green was to the south west of the Wealdstone Brook, or Lidding. By 1820 the green had shrunk
The Wealdstone brook was crossed by both a ford and a footbridge by 1820
Preston House was built here in the early 19th. In the 1880s it was taken over by George Timms who turned the grounds into Preston Tea Gardens. Demolished 1962
165 The Brent X Hotel
Preston Road Station. Opened in 1908 it lies Between Northwick Park and Wembley Park on the Metropolitan Line. It was originally built by the Metropolitan Railway which was was extended from to Harrow in 1880 but then had no stations between Neasden and the terminus. The original station was built for the 1980 Olympic Games Pigeon Shooting Contest but was just a halt sited on the eastern side of the Preston Road bridge. This was named Preston Road Halt for Uxendon and Kenton and later renamed Preston Road. In 1931 and 1932 it was re-sited on the west side of the road bridge to its present position on the Metropolitan Line. The horticultural displays on the platform have won many awards.
Harrow and Wembley Progressive Synagogue. Opened in 1947 this was rebuilt in 2004 and a sheltered housing complex built on the original site. The new building was sold in 2011 to a Sri Lankan Pentecostal church,
340 Pear Tree Lodge, care home
Shopping parade at the junction of East Lane built 1926 -1929
Brent NALGO Sports and Social Club. Bar.
Jubilee Line to Stanmore. This was built by the Metropolitan Railway in 1932. It ran north east on an embankment twice crossing the Wealdstone Brook which had been diverted into special channels for it. Its alignment was determined by housing estates being built at the time.
Church of the Ascension. Proposals for an Anglican church in the area had been put forward in 1936 after services were held in a marquee. A hall was built then which was used as a church, and this is now the church hall. The church itself was paid for by local subscriptions and war-damage payments, and in in yellow stock brick with designed by Gibbons. It was not consecrated until 1957. There are also two halls and a youth centre.
Preston Mall Community Centre
Preston Mall Youth and Community Centre.
Housing, including sheltered housing scheme and open space on part of what was the Abbey National Building Society Sports Ground.
The farmlands between Woodcock Hill and Preston Hill were part of the Lyon Farm estate which since the 17th had been used as income for Harrow School. In the 1920s the School authorities sold off land for development by F & C Costin and the roads on the estate were named after prominent Harrovians
Uxendon is the name of the old manor of that is ‘hill of the tribe called the Wixan'. The farm here of that name stood here until the 19th
Uxondon farm was in this area and was demolished in 1932 for construction of what is now the Jubilee Line.
Uxendon Manor. This is where in 1586 Babington who plotted to murder Elizabeth was hidden, arrested and beheaded. The Bellamy family had owned Uxendon from the early 16th but they were Roman Catholic after the Reformation who sheltered Catholic priests. In 1586 Anthony Babington, who had plotted against Elizabeth was arrested here with five others have escaped from the City in disguise, and come here thinking it was a safe house. In 1592 Elizabeth’s spies found the Jesuit Robert Southwell here. By 1608 the land belonged to the Page family and later passed through other owners. By 1900 it was a shooting ground belonging to the Lancaster Shooting Club. At the 1908 Olympic Games it was used for clay pigeon shooting.
Tenderton Recreation Ground. London Borough of Brent Sports Ground
Church of the Ascension. Web site
Day. London Underground
Field. London place names
London Borough of Brent web site
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex,
Preston Road Station. Wikipedia Web site.