Riverside west of the Tower and on the south bank Windsor Home Park Eastern riverside
This posting covers sites on the south bank of the river only. North is Datchet and Southlea
Post to the south Windsor Albert Bridge and Southlea
Post to the north Windsor Home Park bathing pond and Datchet
Datchet Bridge. This replaced a ferry service and was initially a wooden bridge commissioned by Queen Anne. The crossing was much used by royalty and they were often concerned for its reliability. The bridge was not tolled and therefore was popular. Responsibility for the maintenance was initially with the Crown but then passed to the counties of Berkshire and Buckinghamshire and there were decades of dispute between the two over who should pay for what. In 1836 the two counties each decided to build their own half, in different materials and not touching in the middle - Buckinghamshire's in wood and Berkshire's in iron. This was demolished in 1848 and the dispute resolved by building two new bridges
Datchet Ferry. This had operated since at least the middle of the 13th and was replaced by the bridge.
Home Park is a private park in the Crown Estate and attached to Windsor Castle. This square covers part of the eastern section– about a quarter of the total area
Adelaide Lodge. This is known as Adelaide Cottage, it was the service wing to the current Adelaide Cottage. It stands in a picturesque dell and is a brick two-storied building in the 'cottage-ornée' style of the early 20th. Over the years there appears to have been some confusion over the two buildings and their names
Adelaide Cottage. Built on the site of the Keepers Lodge, it is a painted, stuccoed two-storied building also in the 'cottage-ornée' style. There is an inscription with the initials ‘AR’ for Adelaide Regina and the date of 1831. It is however thought to be older, possibly 17th. It appears to have been used by the Park Bailiff in the early 19th but then maybe rebuilt as a retreat for royal ladies wanting picnics and privacy. It was named for William IV’s wife Adelaide.
Double Cottages. These are by the riverside near the site of Old Datchet Bridge. They were built 1840-50 amend were designed as one. They appear to stand on the site of the Crown and Angel Pub – once in Datchet High Street which continued across the bridge but demolished along with the bridge in 1848
Crown Estate. Web site.
Datchet History. Web site
Historic England. Web site
Roberts. Royal Landscape
Windsor and Maidenhead Council. Web site