Riverside south bank west of the Tower. Old Windsor Beaumont
This posting refers to sites south of the river only. North of the river is Wraysbury riverside
Post to the south Runnymede Magna Carta
Post to the north Old Windsor Saxon town and Remenham Park
Beaumont Estate, Large hotel.This was originally called Remenham, after the 14th owner. Various aristocrats lived there subsequently and In 1786 Warren Hastings lived there for three years. It was sold to the Jesuits in 1854. After the school closed in 1967 it was used for a year by the Loresto Sisters as a teacher training college. In the early 1970s, it was the ICL training centre. In 2003 it was taken over by Hayley Conference Centres,
Beaumont House. Large country house originally built in 1705 by James Gibbs for Lord Weymouth. Re-built in the early 19th by Henry Emlyn of Windsor for Henry Griffiths based on his "Britannic Order". It was altered in 1870 by Hansom and further extended in the 20jh. There are many more recent extinctions
Beaumont College. This was a Jesuit public school which closed in 1967. In 1862 it became a Catholic boarding school for boys, with the title of St. Stanislaus College, Beaumont. The school continued thereafter. In 1888, a Preparatory School was opened nearby and still exists. There was also a boathouse and playing fields and a farm to supply produce. The school eventually closed because of a lack of priests.
Chapel built for the Jesuits and now offices. Designed 1870 by Hansom
War memorial. Gigantic built in 1920 as an open-air altar and Calvary by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. It has seats, and a tall cenotaph. There is a bronze commemorative plaque, and above is a large opening with a Christ on a stone cross. The inscription plaque reads:-
Reqviem aeternam donna eis domine.
Gate piers and walls from the late 19th. Inset panels and iron lanterns on the piers. Lodge - this was built in the late 19th as a chapel
The Bells of Ouseley. This pub dating from the mid 19th was once a Courage House. It is now a Harvester chain restaurant.
Lodges at entrance to Runnymede on either side of the road and mirror images of each other. Lady Fairhaven, who gave the meadows to the National Trust in 1931, commissioned Edwin Lutyens to design them.
French Bros. Boathouse for family firm running a large fleet of boats for trips on the Thames between Maidenhead and Hampton Court.
Beaumont Estate. Web site
British Listed Buildings.
French Brothers Web site/
London Transport. Country walks
Old Windsor Pubs. Web site
Wikipedia. Beaumont College. Web site