Post to the west Lower Halliford
Post to the north Walton at Sunbury Lock and Sunbury Riverside
This post covers sites to the south (well in this case, east, but you know what I mean) of the river only. The post for the north bank is Sunbury Wheatley's Ait
Was New Road built 1890s
1 Toad Hall Nursery’
Cambridge House. Eurotech. Information Management Company working for the oil and gas industry since the early 1990’s
45 site of warehouse and industrial unit. Now replaced by housing it wad latterly a drinks warehouse.
Thames Valley Skiff Club. This is a skiff and punting club, founded in 1923. Skiffs are traditional wooden boats which are sculled with a pair of blades. Punting is carried out competitively at regattas. The club organises a club regatta and hosts Walton Reach Regatta. The Club house is at the end of Dudley Road and faces the river. They originally used Rosewell's Boathouse, then Clark's boathouse in Sunbury. After 1945 they used the Anglers pub in Walton, before taking over the old Council bathing place for their club house.
Bathing Pavilion. This belonged to Walton Council and consisted of a wooden shed like building with two wings plus a jetty into the river and a stone river wall. It was on the riverside at the end of Dudley Road. It was extended by the council 1912. It does not appear to have survived the Second World War.
Walton Plastics Ltd. Works extant here in the 1950s-60s. The site is now housing
Felix Road Recreation Ground also called Thamesmead Recreation Ground
1st Walton Viking Sea Scouts. Scouting was started in 1907 and the 1st Walton was registered then with Scout Headquarters as ‘Boy Scouts’. It was not until 1910 that Sea Scouts were formed. The present HQ was built as a boys club and stood alone surrounded by fields with access from Sunbury Lane called Accommodation Road. In 2012 the Group hope to move to the river end of the recreation ground.
7 Walton Comrades Club. Club with music and bar founded in 1923
Hawks End Farm
Pumping Station. This is shown on maps at the very end of the path which extend from Franklyn Road to what would be a junction with Sunnyside through Rivernook Farm (in square to the south). This is conjecturally the remains of Walton Vestry sewage works set up at Apps Court in the 1890s. Sewage here was just poured onto the land. In 1950 it was closed down and pumped to Esher
Pumping house – second one to the west 1890s
Walton Rowing Club. This was set up in 1927 with input from other local river based organisations. The club stopped operating during the Second World War and a clubhouse and boat house were set up at Sunbury Lane in 1953.
42 site of John of Gaunt Pub. This was later renamed The Walton and later still demolished. It dated from the early 20th
44 Walton Business Centre. This is an industrial unit previously known as Enterprise House. It appears to have originally been a factory dating from soon after the Second World War.
68-70 The Grove. This pub was previously called The Magpie
Allotments. These belong to Walton Charity. This originated before 1212 when land grants included a contribution for the local poor. These charities were consolidated in 1984.
Grovelands Primary School. The school was originally built by Surrey County Council in 1908
143 Thamesfield Farm. This has been owned by Surrey County Council since 1911. Alongside the farm house is a large and important looking black barn
The site previously was a field where horses were grazed by Gridley Miskin, timber merchants. They were used to bring timber from barges moored at the wharf at the end of Felix Road.
Local authority flats and houses
Gravel workings - inland of the road was a quarry and landfill site. Gravel working here was undertaken by Thames River Grit Co Ltd during the late 1940's and 1950's. It was then land filled with waste.
Elmbridge Leisure Centre. The Elmbridge Xcel Leisure Centre was set up around 2006 bad includes two swimming pools, a gym, indoor courts and a climbing wall. There is an associated car park, and artificial football pitch, which comprises a changing
BP Oil Storage depot with a series of underground tanks, storing aviation fuel. Set up on the previous gravel pit area.
Government Oil Pipeline from Fawley. This crosses the areas
Walton Casuals F.C. This football club plays at the Franklyn Road Sports adjacent to the new Elmbridge Xcel Leisure Centre. They are nicknamed The Stags. Their site includes Little Tots Play Cafe
Elmbridge Council. Web site
Elmbridge Excel Leisure Centre. Web site
1st Walton Viking Sea Scouts. Web site
Pub History. Web site
Thames Valley Skiff Club. Web site
Walton Comrades Club. Web site
Walton Rowing Club. Web site
Wikipedia web site, as appropriate