Riverside - south bank west of the Tower. Hamm Court
Post to the east Weybridge Palace and Navigation
Post to the north Chertsey Meads and Shepperton Range
Hamm Court. The manor was held by the dean and canons of Windsor since the late 15th and was thereafter leased to up market individuals. In 1614 it was home to Dr. Henry Hammond, the king's physician, in the 17th it was the home of Admiral Sir George Askew and later to Dr Thomas Willis. It was sold in 1731 and bought by the Earl of Portmore. A that time it had a dove house, avenues of trees a decoy and a warren. It was Demolished in the early 19th leaving the remains as a farm
The first earl of Portmore added this land on the west of the Wey to his Weybridge estate by taking a lease of Ham Court Manor from the Dean and Chapter of St George's Chapel Windsor.
There are some 17th links with Gerald Winstanley and the Digger movement.
Wharf .The Hamm Court estate included an important Thames side wharf at Ham just west of the junction of the Wey and the Thames the owners of which objected to the building of the Navigation. The wharf was still extant in 1732.
Up market housing area. Following the sale of the lands of Ham Court Manor in 1860 houses on the banks of the river and of the navigation
Hamm Court Farm
Farm which was included in the Portmore's estate. Portmore’s main manor house moved to the east bank before the 17th, leaving this moated site to function as a home farm. It is said to be a 1829s conversion of the stables of Hamm Court. The farm has recently functioned as a deer park, and home to a number of businesses. It was sold in 2015
Homestead Moat. Dry but frequently water filled after prolonged rain. There is a low inner bank along the north and south east sides but the north west arm next to the farm buildings has been filled in. This is thought to be demesne centre of the sub-manor of Ham.
16th dovecote, in vermilion brick lime-washed. Inside are pigeon ledges and nests. It is at the north-west corner of the farmyard,
Hamm Court Deer Park. The farm bred deer. There were three sorts - - Scottish Red Deer, Chinese Spotted Deer and the very large Elk. They Deer lived in fields surrounded by three metre high fences with an electric fence about two metres high and half a metre inside the large one. Ear tags identified the deer and they were quite tame because they were hand-fed.
Area with two or three streets as a ‘landscaped park’ for mobile homes
Island in the Thames upstream of Shepperton. It was earlier known as Dog Ait. Two channels which lead to weirs diverge off after the island to its southeast. The island is only accessible by boat. It is said to have been given to Nelson after the Battle of the Nile. There are a number of houses on the island all with Egyptian names
The Bourne is a small river flowing from the south and flowing through Woburn Park at the park’s northern boundary it meets another stream from the west. It then takes a right angled turn to flow into the Thames at Ham Haugh Point. Through Woburn Park it is paralleled by the Woburn Park Stream to the east, which eventually flows into it.
The navigation follows the course of the river for nearly half a mile upstream of Bulldogs Weir.
This is a large and complex site of which only a small fraction of the eastern part of the park appears in this square. This part of the site is taken up by sports facilities for St., George’s College which occupies buildings to the west (in the square to the west). Woburn Farm is an Arcadian landscaped ferme ornee which was laid out from 1735 by Philip Southcote who also commissioned William Kent in 1848 to design a new house.
A cricket pavilion with a swimming pool to the rear, built between 1885 and 1896 stood west of the stream. There are now modern facilitates for sports in this area
Southcote’s circuit. Near the north-east corner of the site the stream is crossed by a brick bridge - making up part of Southcote's circuit around the farm. There are also remains of bridges and artificial stonework along the banks of the steam
Brayley and Britain. Topographical History of Surrey
British History Online. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Currie. Historical and Archaeological Assessment of the Wey and Godalming Navigations
Historic England. Web site
Parker, North Surrey
Pastscape. Web site
St. George’s College. Web site