Tributary to the River Pinn
A tributary to the Pinn flows southwards
Post to the north Pinner Wood
Post to the east Pinner
Housing - 1960s development
Antonys House which stood on the corner with Uxbridge Road and had been there since the middle ages. Rebuilt it was let to a charity housing Jewish refugee children in 1946 and demolished in 1952.
Elm Park Avenue
This was once called Wood Lane, and also Common Road
Pinner Wood School. Built as a secondary school in 1938 by Middlesex County Council. It is now a primary school.
Mill Farm Close
The road follows the line of the old track to the cottages and the farmhouse
Mill, a windmill was built here in 1617 and was eventually blown down in 1721 and was rebuilt. It was a tower mill which was burnt down in the 1870s. The Miller’s house, became 1, 2, 3 Mill Farm Cottages and was demolished and replaced by the current housing in the 1970s
Owned by Middlesex County Council pre 1963
The Bell, rebuilt in 1936 and later called The Orange Tree, demolished in 2005 and replaced with flats
Community Solutions – run by Mencap as a day centre
Pinner Hill Road
Mill Farm. Established here in 1806 and demolished in the 1970s for the current housing. It was only ever a row of back to back cottages converted into the house attached to a small holding, selling milk and eggs.
1 Sync. Karaoke bar. This pub was previously called The Starling.
Montesole Court. On the site of an older house called The Nook
Montesole Playing Fields. The land was acquired by the local Council for recreational use in 1935 and has originally been Pinner Green Football Ground. It is named after Edward Montesole, a Hendon Councillor, a green belt campaigner, who helped achieve legal protection in the 1930s when the land here threatened with housing development. The park gates on Montesole Court commemorate Councillor Thomas Ellement, a Harrow Alderman who in 1957. It has facilities for soccer, cricket, tennis and basketball as well as a children’s play area.
The Dingle. Woodland area adjacent to Montesole Playing Fields. This is north of the Playing Field where among oaks is a section of Grim's Dyke earthwork and a series of mine shafts scattered around a central quarry area.
Pinner Mine. Beneath the Dingle is the most extensive mine in the area. In a depression is a steel cage on a concrete base which leads to a manhole. The mine was for chalk extraction opened around 1780 and closed in 1890. The passages are barrel-shaped cross section, with flat roofs and there are many smoked names and initials. The roof covering of chalk has been penetrated by sand and pebbles, known as pudding stone.
Dingles Court. Built in front of the area of the mine and the chalk face is visible in woodland behind it.
The houses date from1927 and were built to be let at economic rents to working men by local socialist Reginald Bridgeman.
The Wax Well. The well is a brick structure marked by an English Heritage plaque which says 'Name was first recorded in 1274 as "Wakeswell". Thought to mean Waecce's Spring. Until the mid-19th Century the well was the most important source of water in Pinner Village and reputed to have healing properties." It is now sealed off, but was in use up to 1870. It was the most important water supply in the district and in the dry seasons supplied people beyond the immediate area. The water was said to be good for eye ailments and it was said that anyone who drank the water would always remain in Pinner and also that its water given to the dying would lead to their recovery.
125 Waxwell Farm – the Grail Centre. Part of a large rambling group, built by James Finch of the Mercers Company in 1598. This is in two parts in brick and timbering. There is a painted brick block of 1895 on south-east, by W H Seth-Smith. Includes the Grail Chapel and has been a catholic centre since 1947. It was the International Headquarters of the Grail Movement and the centre includes facilities for conferences and retreats as well as a large number of related activities. It closed in 2012.
25 The Loudon House.
Woodhall Farm. The farm dates back to at least the 16th, but the current building dates from 1808. It was leased by John Claudius Loudon in 1896 and who with his father, a farmer, experimented with 'Scotch' farming with a view to public demonstrations. Some changes were made but his father died in 1809 and Loudon left although his mother remained here until 1841. It was later bought by Arthur Tooke who rebuilt the stables.
Chelsea Speleological Society. Newsletter
Clarke. A History of Pinner
Clarke. Pinner, Hatch End, North Harrow and Rayners Lane
London Gardens Online. Web site
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Thames Basin Archaeology of Industry Group Report
Walford. Village London
Wheatley and Meulencamp. Follies