The Pinn flows south westwards
Post to the north Grimsdyke
Post to the east Harrow Weald
Post to the south Headstone Lane
St Theresa of the Child Jesus Church. The church was founded in 1953 by Cardinal Bernard Griffin.
The Church was built without a hall, and functions were held in St.Theresa’s school hall. The church was later adapted to have a parish room.
Built in the grounds of Clonard this was a private road with individually designed houses.
Saddlers Mead Recreation Ground. The land was bought by Middlesex County Council as public open space in 1936. Parkfield Sports Club use the park and provides football and cricket facilities. In the north of the park is a section of the Grims Dyke - an Iron Age boundary or defence structure, and this is noted in a plaque.
Post war flats – including the highest block in Pinner – on the site of Dove House Mansion. Dove House Farm was there before 1547 and was a moated site. In the 19th it was occupied by a horse dealer called Tilbury who invented the carriage of that name. Napoleon III visited and copied its stables when he built at Chantilly. The railway divided the estate in the 1830s and a later owner added New Dove House. Both houses were demolished in the 1960s.
Name means “gate of Pinner Park” and it is first recorded in 1448.
A sign at the start of the road announces this as part of Hatch End Park. The Estate was laid out by William Webb as a mock Tudor development of the 1930s.
Clonard. This house was built by Sir Alexander Edward Miller in the 1890s and later became the Convent of Our Lady of Lourdes, which was demolished in 1968 and replaced by housing. It had been used as a small school and then an old people’s home.
Oxhey Grove Hospital. Oxhey Grove House had been the home of the English entomologist, Henry Rowland-Brown who studied butterflies. It was taken over by the convent in 1958. The house was bought by Harrow Council and opened as a hospital for the chronic sick in 1941. It joined the NHS in 1948, and closed in 1969
Landaras. Red brick Georgian House
Royston Park Road
Royston Park Estate was laid out by William Tebb in 1891
Named for the trees which survived from the dismantling of the Clonard Estate
Hatch End Station. The station is between Carpenders Park and Headstone Lane on the London Overground line into Euston. It was opened in 1844 by the London North West Railway and called ‘Pinner’. The present station was built in 1911 by architect Gerald C Horsley for LNWR and is symmetrically composed in red brick with a large decorative crest over a central ground floor window. In 1917 the Bakerloo Line opened here calling the station ‘Pinner and Hatch End. With services were extended from Willesden Junction‘. In 1920 the name changed to ‘Hatch End (for Pinner)’ and in 1948 ‘Hatch End’ Bakerloo services were withdrawn on in 1982. It currently has two platforms – the up platform was originally an island platform. There was an additional island platform which stopped being used at the end of mainline steam services.
Telephone Box. Type K6 designed in 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott.
Royal Commercial Travellers School. Founded by John Robert Cuffley who set it up as a school to in 1845 ‘educate the necessitous children of brethren "on the road" who met an untimely death or became unable to earn their living. It originated in Wanstead but in 1855 Prince Albert opened the new Schools here with places for 300 children. In 1897 W.H. Lever gave the school a Willis organ to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. In 1905 the "B.G. Elliott" Hall opened. The school closed in 1976 but it was succeeded by the Royal Pinner School Foundation to help educate children of commercial travellers, where need is shown. The buildings are now Harrow Arts Centre
Harrow Arts Centre. This is in one of the remaining buildings of the Royal Commercial Travellers School. The centre is in Elliott Hall built in 1904 as the assembly hall to a much larger building by H. O. Cresswell. It is named after B. G. Elliott, one time pupil and scholar at the RCT, who was President of the Committee tasked with the funding and building of the hall. It is large building described as ‘institutional Perpendicular’ in red brick and it was officially opened in 1905 by T F Blackwell – of Crosse & Blackwell. The west end has an external balcony linking two turrets with an open timber roof. The West window by William Smith is a memorial to those killed in the Great War and the Willis organ is now here rebuilt but retaining the Willis pipe work. After the closure of the school in 1967 the site was bought by Harrow Council for Harrow College of Further Education and St. Teresa's School. Part of this building has been demolished to accommodate a Morrison’s supermarket. Harrow Council has been managing the Arts Centre since 2007. The centre includes work with community groups and schools and also houses Harrow Music Services, Harrow’s Adult and Community and Family Learning Team. There are two resident companies are Srishti and Bearfoot School of Performing Arts
Hatch End Library is now in the centre occupying what was The Henry Jones Gymnasium,
Hatch End Swimming Pool. This opened in 1968 and has since been refurbished.
John Rumney Playing fields
St Theresa’s Roman Catholic school. This shared the site of the Commercial Travellers school from the 1960s until moving to a purpose built site.
Harrow College of Further Education. This shared the site of the Commercial Travellers with St. Theresa School from the 1960s until moving to another site.
British History online. Pinner
Clarke. A History of Pinner
Clarke. Pinner, Hatch End, North Harrow and Rayners Lane
Clunn. The Face of London
Harrow Arts Centre. Web site (plus a virus)
Harrow Arts Centre. Wikipeda Web site
London Borough of Harrow. Web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Old Mercurians. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Walford. Village London