Frays River Uxbridge
Frays River flows southwards
Post to the west Uxbridge Moor
Post to the north Uxbridge
Post to the south Cowley
Post to the east RAF Uxbridge
Chiltern View Road
Chiltern View. In the 1880s this was the name of two houses on the south side built at right angles to the road.
Dental Surgery. Burr Hall. . This is built of “Cowley” bricks – most of them are seconds, or “burrs”. This was a Methodist Chapel built 1864
The Cowley Brick Pub. Closed. There was a considerable brick making industry in the area – 19th architects sometimes specifying ‘Cowley brick’ – a light brown stock brick. The pub is now housing.
Caxton Place – Rabbs Mill House. This site was a gravel pit in the 19th known as Chiltern View
Cowley Mill Road
Hale Hamilton on the site of Crowley Mill., since 1947 they have designed and manufactured high performance / high pressure valves and valve systems. Their building is called Frays Mill Works.
Crowley Mill also known as Rabbs or Robbs mill on the Frays River at the junction of Cowley Road and Cowley Mill Road. It is first mentioned in 1636 although it had probably been there since the Middle Ages. It was acquired by the local authority from Grimsdale and Sons, local brewers, in 1949.
Uxbridge Gas Works. Built in 1832 by James Stacey although there had previously been a plan for a works here by the British Gas Light Co. This was the Uxbridge and Hillingdon Gas Consumers Co. which became statutory in 1861. By 1925 it was the Uxbridge, Maidenhead, Wycombe & District Gas Co. coming under South Eastern gas on 1936 and part of North Thames Gas Board at nationalisation in 1949. It has remained a small rural undertaking until after the Great War when urban expansion locally led to increased demand. By 1927 and a bulk supply was bought in from the Gas Light and Coke Company through three mains. The retort houses were manually charged until 1942, when reconstruction began and from 1948 the whole works was rebuilt and modernised. Used as a location in The Sweeney. The works closed in 1968 was demolished and under development.
Royal Mail. Postal depot on gas works site
16c Salvation Army. Head office of their Central South Division.
British School. This was roughly on the site of the Salvation Army offices. The school had originated in 1809 as the Uxbridge Lancastrian School, later Uxbridge Free School which moved to this site in 1835. It received a Government grant from 1836. By 1903 it was called Cowley Road School, and was managed by the county council. In 1928 it closed as a school and the building became the County Library until 1940, and a domestic science centre
Whitehall Primary School. This was opened in 1911 as a model school of its kind. It as in yellow stock brick with diaper patterned poly chromatic brickwork
Chiltern View pub. This closed in 2006.
Cowley Grove. Cowley Grove was an 18th estate owned by a number of show business personalities of the time. The northern part of the grounds covered this area.
The Gospel Hall. Built in 1927.
Postal Sorting Office. This was on the corner of Windsor Street. It was on the site of almshouses and a workhouse built here before 1727.
Almshouses. The early history of the Uxbridge almshouses is not clear but by 1727 they were in existence. In 1743 there were 16 tenants in the Lynch almshouses
21 The Militia Canteen. Pub
Housing on the site of Cowley Grove
1-4 Royal Bank of Scotland. Built in 1987 on the corner with Vine Street. Post-modern. It is on the site of the Savoy Cinema
The Savoy Cinema was opened in 1921, on the site of the old Town Hall. It was designed in a Georgian style by Mr. Williams of Williams & Cox. It was taken over by the Union Cinemas chain in 1935, and in 1937, by Associated British Cinemas. It closed in 1960 and was converted into a Ladbroke’s Bingo Club, which closed in 1982. It was demolished in 1983.
Town Hall, or Public Rooms. Were built in 1836
The Slug and Lettuce. Pub in a late 17th building previously used in 1974 by Norman Reeves Motors
222 The Shrubbery. Incorporated within the shopping centre. A good three-storey, five-bay brick house, built in 1832-3 for the adjutant of the Royal West Middlesex Militia.
233 Nightclub. Originally the Regal Cinema Designed by E Norman Bailey in 1931 with Egyptian style facade. The cinema was built for A.E. Abrahams. Inside the decor includes plaster troughs for concealed lighting and a proscenium shaped like a Chinese half-moon plus decorative panels in a Chinese streamline-deco style over the organ grilles. There is a functioning but disconnected 2Manuals/6Ranks Compton organ and it had a cafe and a ballroom. It was run by Union Cinemas from 1935, and then Associated British Cinemas from 1937. It closed in 1977. In 1984 it became a Nightclub and the stage area became a health club. In 1993 it became the Discotheque Royale, the interior was painted black/dark and in 2007 was the Liquid Envy Nightclub.
273 Early 19th building converted to a shop.
278 18th building with a modern shop on the ground floor.
279, 280 and 280a. These make up an 18th house with modern shop fronts on the ground floor
320 Odeon multiplex cinemas opened in 2001 in The Chimes Shopping Centre.
Hillingdon Civic Centre. In the 1970s Hillingdon wanted to break away from the conventions of civic design and express the identity of the new municipal authority. They appointed Robert Matthews, Johnson Marshall and Partners in 1970 with Andrew Derbyshire as the architect with the borough architect Thurston Williams. The result built 1973-8 has' been described as a formalized hill village of suburban brick houses clustering around an outsize barn’. The layout allowed existing' mature trees to remain. Inside is a curved ceremonial stair with a hanging sculpture by John Philips. The octagonal council chamber was designed for comfort and good acoustics.
Cut across of the route of the old rail line to Vine Street Station
St.Andrew. In the 1850’s as the population of Hillingdon and Uxbridge rose the then Vicar of Hillingdon gained permission to build a new church in the area sometimes referred to as Hillingdon West. Plans were drawn up by George Gilbert Scott and local Uxbridge builder William Fassnidge was employed to build it, the foundation stone was laid in 1864.
St Andrew's Church of England Primary School. This was built in 1974, at the far end of the Vicarage garden.
Rectory. An early 19th rectory is further along the road
Much of Lynch Green is now beneath the ring road
Entrance through a free standing arch. A plaque explains that in 1576 the land was given by the Lord of the Manor, Earl of Derby, to the people of Uxbridge for a burial ground. It continued to be used for this until 1855.
Memorial to the three martyrs, burnt at the stake here in 1555. The inscription says This stone was erected in 1955 in memory of Robert Smith, John Denley & Patrick Packingham, who were burnt at the stake on Lynch Green opposite this spot in August 1555 and also of all those men and women of Uxbridge who have suffered persecution in their Christian faith.
Manor Waye Recreation Ground
New Windsor Street
Newland House. This was a Methodist chapel. A Wesleyan congregation built a permanent chapel here in 1847 in 1930 after the erection of the Methodist Central Hall the chapel became a Masonic Hall. A concrete pill box, disguised as an extension to the chapel was added in the Second World War but has since been demolished. The chapel building was converted to flats in 1996.
Almshouses. These were built to replace older almshouses in The Lynch by Uxbridge United Charities. The scheme was prepared in 1905. They were paid for with income from the Ossulston and Pearce charities. The new almshouses were occupied in 1907 and lie in a square behind the Methodist Chapel building. The style is “Garden Suburb” with a courtyard surrounded by cottage-style homes. The site was previously a drill hall.
New Windsor Street Infants School was built in 1839 and closed in 1911
15-16 Union Villas dated 1846, a two-storey group, the unaltered part with giant pilasters.
Rockingham Bridge over the Frays river. The bridge dates from 1809 and has three brick arches, the centre one with a carved keystone. It was once known as Moorfield Bridge and had been built before 1675.
Rockingham Recreation Ground. This was laid out in the 1920s along with local authority buildings in the area. It has sports pitches and a riverside walk
St. Mary's Roman Catholic Primary School. This was built in 1895 to serve the Uxbridge district, set up in conjunction with the setting up of a Catholic Mission to Uxbridge in the 1890s.
25 Old Rockingham Arms. This has been demolished and housing built on the site
33 Indian restaurant in what used to be the Prince of Wales pub
34-35 small businesses in buildings which fronted an earlier iron works site
80 built in the 19th and by 1901 occupied by the Manager of Waterloo Wharf. There is a plaque on the side wall dated 1954, with what appears to be oak leaves and some sort of sculpted figure.
Scout hut – on the edge of the Recreation Ground
Railway line – the never constructed railway would crossed the road roughly at Barnsfield Close
Uxbridge County School which occupied premises in the Greenway from 1907. The school had been designed for the Middlesex Education Committee by their architect H G Crothall. This building was vacated in 1928 and was occupied by the Greenway County Secondary School. It is in red brick with a cupola and weather vane ion the roof. It was the Borough’s first secondary school.
The Uxbridge Centre became a community centre in 1983/4 through the Chaplin of Brunel University, Rev. Theo Samuel. As St Peter’s Church it was about to be declared redundant small steering committee was set up and a grant was got from the Greater London Council. A War Memorial remains from the church.
64, 66, 68 Group of 19th villas.
71-73 Two 19th houses in yellow stock brick.
89 Italianate house built in 1840.
This street and the streets around it south of the Greenway, were the site of the Militia Barracks
33 Load of Hay Pub. The building was originally the officers' mess of the Elthorne Light Militia and became a pub in the 1870s. The main part of the pub was originally the stable block.
Vine Street| Street View
Once called Blind or Woolwind Lane
Charter Place. High tech office by Frederick Gibberd, Coombes and Partners 1985-8. Blue tinted glass walls, symmetrical on a raised podium and with five storeys. There are two glazed staircase towers and two pavilions make the transition from the Uxbridge Civic Trust Commendation 1989.
The Royal Prince of Wales Theatre was a medium sized hall, opposite the Great Western Railway’s Vine Street Station. It was taken over by Jack Hutton in 1910 and replaced his Rockingham Hall which he had operated as a cinema in 1909. He re-named in Empire Electric Cinema. The Empire Electric Cinema was closed in 1933, and was converted into a fire station. It has since been demolished.
Uxbridge Vine Street Station. Opened in 1856. It was built by the Great Western Railway on the line from West Drayton. It was originally called just ‘Uxbridge’. In 1907 it was renamed ‘Uxbridge Vine Street’. It had two terminus tower and a glass roof which remained until the 1930s. Then there was a building opposite in yellow brick with a wooden canopy, which was there until the 1950s. In 1962 it was closed. The area was used as a car park until 1990s and then for Charter Place offices but it has since been redeveloped. Vine Street remained open after its passenger trains had been withdrawn but freight traffic ended in 1964, although the station continued to handle parcels for a further five months before it was completely abandoned
Randalls, a department store which originated in the 1890s, rebuilt in 1937-8 by W. L. Eves, a period piece in streamlined cream faience, with a vertical feature with flagstaff, and elegant original lettering. Horizontal sweep interrupted by vertical tower. Refaced but retaining many original details.
Water Works belonging to Uxbridge Urban District Council. Obtaining water from a bore hole into the chalk
Waterloo Wharf. Goldberg timber yard has been in operation here since 1954. Waterloo Wharf was constructed in 1793 and was probably the Uxbridge terminus when the Grand Union Canal opened in 1794. It was the known as Canal Wharf and was a coal wharf, operated by Fellows Morton & Clayton Ltd. until 1949.
Uxbridge Wharf, used for boat building and repair. It has a dry dock.
Japanese Auto Spares. The original Waterloo Church which started as a Ragged School in 1846. A lady living by the canal taught poor children in her own home, including Sunday School which transferred to a building of its own in 1864. It was used as a British Restaurant in the Second World War and is now a Japanese car parts centre.
Waterloo Road Church. This started as a Ragged School moving to the present Japanese car parts centre. The local authority took over the responsibility for education, but the Sunday School remained and became known as Waterloo Road Mission. A superintendent was appointed by the local church and he led the church until his 1940. The building dares from 1932 and is very utilitarian. It was extended in 1967 to include the rear hall and another rear extension was built in 2001. In 1962 it changed its name to Waterloo Road Free Church, and later just Waterloo Road Church.
Baths. On the site of the waterworks and council yard from the 1940s, still there in the 1970s.
Uxbridge and District Electricity Supply Company. A private company's works was set up here and much of the town connected by 1902.
9 Colley House, London Borough of Hillingdon infilling in response to the need for housing for young single people
Railway. Just before the Walford Road is where a proposed rail connection to Denham would have crossed.
Pedestrianised section of road through the graveyard
War Memorial. This is a stone column surmounted by statue of winged angel with a laurel wreath. The octagonal stone base has the inscription- “Erected in honour and memory of all those men and women of Uxbridge who served or fell in the Great War 1914-1918 an expression of gratitude from their fellow townsmen”. It was moved here in the 1970s
Site of Rockingham House. This was a big house to the north of Rockingham Road, in the 19th the home of General Rickards. It remained until at least the 1930s
British History on Line. Uxbridge. Web site
Cinema Theatres Association Newsletter
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
English Heritage. London’s Town Halls.
Freshfields. Blog site
Hale Hamilton. Web site.
London Borough of Hillingdon. Web site
London Railway Record.
London Remembers, Web site
National Archives. Web site
O’Connor. Forgotten stations of London
Salvation Army. Web site
Ship of Fools. Web site.
Stewart. Gas works in the North Thames area
St.Andrews. Web site
St.Margarets History. Web site
Thames Basin Archaeology of Industry Group
Uxbridge Centre, Web site
Uxbridge High School. Web site
Walford. Village London
Waterloo Road Church. Web site.
White Hall Primary School. Web site