River Pinn Pinner
The Pinn flow south westwards
A tributary to the Pinn flows westwards
Post to the east Headstone Lane
Post to the west Pinner
Post to the south Pinner
Barrow Point Lane
Barrow Point – the name probably refers to a pond near the Uxbridge Road. A small hamlet grew up along the lane in the 16th but the cottages were eventually demolished
Barrow Point was a large estate centred round Barrow Point House which would stood on the south side of the lane at its east end. It was sold in 1898 and laid out as an estate by the Pinner Land Company over the next twenty years
Barrow Point House. The house, which had evolved from a cottage, was the home of local judge William Barber. From 1924 it was St.John’s School. There is now housing on the site.
St.John’s School. The school was founded in Pinner by Mr. Claude Norman in 1920 using a room in the vicarage of St. John's church. In 1927 they moved to Barrow Point House. In 1930 this burnt down – the cause said to be a hair pin used as a fuse - but was re-built. By 1970 the building was too small and the school moved to Potter Street Hill.
George V Avenue
The avenue goes through Pinner Park and was built in 1938. Since the 1980s it has acted as a bypass to Pinner Village Centre.
75 plaque to Heath Robinson erected 1976 which says ‘ Illustrator and comic artist lived here'. He lived here from 1913-1918 during which time worked for the Ministry of Information.
Old Hall Drive
Bury Pond was near the junction with Uxbridge Road
The Hall was at the point which this road joins with Old Hall Close. It was built in the early 18th by John Gibson, a London jeweller. It was built to let out and was rented to minor aristocracy. It was bought by contractor George Bird in 1875 who altered it to look more urban. The estate was redeveloped in the 1950s
Moss Cottage, fronting on Paine’s Lane and it is now self catering accommodation. It was home to the local curate in 1634 and it was enlarged by its owner William Barber in 1887. The original entrance to the house is now at the rear and that wall is decorated with 17th pargetting. A yew tree in the garden is reputed to be over 300 years old
Weatherbys Farm. Built 1600.
Oakfield School. Built by William Barber in 1887 as a small private school. It was eventually closed and demolished.
Pinner Park is first noted in 1273, when it was a deer park owned by the Archbishops of Canterbury. By the 15th the woodland had been cut down and the deer had largely gone when the park transferred to the Crown. It had converted to farmland by the 16th. An estate map of 1634 shows a farmhouse, moat, ponds and fields. In 1731 it was bought by St Thomas Hospital and let out. In the 20th parts were sold sports grounds and it was sold to Pinner Parish Council and Middlesex County Council as open space.
Mediaeval fishponds are on the western boundary of the park. A deep hollow south of George V Avenue may be the site of an ancient carp pond.
The River Pinn crosses the western part of the park and there is a dam to the north of George V Avenue to help stop flooding in Pinner village.
Part of the area of the Woodhall Estate, which belonged to the Tooke family.
Lodge of Pinner Hall 19th.
522 Woodhall Estate Office At the corner of Woodhall Drive prominently sited and now in use as offices
546-8 estate cottages built for Arthur Tooke
Crossed by a tributary to the River Pinn at its northern end.
Curves round to meet by Woodhall Drive by a little green, with small closes opening off.
Woodhall Towers. Built by Arthur Tooke in 1864. This had a 75 ft tower with a clock and rooms, patterned brick etc. It was known locally as Tooke’s Folly and demolished in 1962 following use as a hotel.
This was a wooded area, in some parts marshy. These fields were built up by John Meynell in 1855.It was not as upmarket as the surrounding developments.
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Clarke. Hatch End, North Harrow and Rayners Lane
Clarke. A History of Pinner
English Heritage. Blue Plaque Guide
Field. London Place Names
Gloag. John Claudius Loudon
London Gardens Online. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Pinner Local History. Web site.
St.John’s School. Web site
Symonds. Behind the Blue Plaques of London
Walford. Village London,