Thames Tributary Shonks Brook
The Brook flows north east and then turns south east towards the Cripsey Brook and the River Roding
TL 48 06
post to the west - 47 06 Latton Park
post to the east - 49 06 - Hastingwood Road
Glovers Farm. 18th Farmhouse, timber framed and weather boarded
Barn. Building from 1600, timber framed and weather boarded with some original wattle and daub infill in the north east wall.
The Woodings, 17th Cottage, timber framed and plastered
Hastingwood Village Hall
The name of Hastingwood comes from that of Humphrey de Hastings who held the manor before 1280.
Wyntersbrook. 18th House, timber framed and plastered,
Church. This was built in 1864 as a chapel of ease for St.Andrew, North Weald . It is a simple red brick building with a single nave and a small bell tower. Inside was a memorial window to John Stallibrass of Paris Hall and his wife. It is now private housing
Hastingwood House. This was built 1840 and is a brick house standing in its own grounds.
Redwoods – nine trees in the area of Hastingwood Farm . There are also three Wellingtonia in the same area.
Hastingwood Farm. The site is mentioned in Domesday. The farm house was a 17th timber framed building known locally as Rainbow Farm, after the name of its owner. It was used by coaches plying between Cambridge and London for stabling and because they provided custom for drinks an inn developed here, to be called ‘The Rainbow’. The farmhouse was demolished in 1954.
The Rainbow and Dove pub. This was originally a 17th house part of the farm complex. It is Timber framed with roughcast render . It was called 'The Rainbow' after the farm name and a topiary bird in the grounds added the name of the dove
The pub barn was used as a dance hall in the 1940s.
Paris Hall. This was the house for the local manor with the name taken from the Paris family, landholders here in the 13th - Roger de Paris is mentioned in 1280. Passing through many owners it was acquired by another Parris family in 1947. It is a moated manor house for the areas which was rebuilt 1600. The current house is 16th with later alterations. It is timber framed and plastered. There is a stair tower and beyond it a garderobe extension and beyond that a bake house/brew house. The two remaining arms of the rectangular moat have now been redesigned as a water feature.
Granary at Paris Hall Farmhouse. This is early 19th, timber framed, weather boarded, and mounted on brick piers.
Shonks. This is named from a family called Shanks of whom there is a record in 1438.