Thursday, 1 September 2016
Riverside, north bank, west of the Tower. Dorney Reach and Amerden
Dorney Reach and Amerden
This post covers sites on the north side of the river only. South is Monkey Island
Post to the east Bray Lock and Bray
Post to the south Monkey Island Lane and north end of the Eton Rowing Lake
This was an old manorial name and settlement which included river fishing rights.
Amerden House. In 1988 this was left along with many millions to a cat called Blackie. The house is further up Amerden Lane to the north.
Amerden Bank. 16th to 17th timber-framed house, called Amerden Priory (many sources say this was a religious house but it may be that this was not the case). Occupiers of this riverside house could claim fishing rights on the river. There is also a moat here. In 1911 a Mr. Davidson constructed a gyrocopter here powered by two Stanley steam engines. I later belonged to ballerina Margot Fonteyn
Amerden Bank Hotel. This was a hotel in the early 20th
Amerden Barn – alongside the caravan park
Dorney Reach. This is effectively an isolated village made up of a few residential streets in the parish of Dorney. There are important archaeological sites and aerial photographs had suggested the presence of several prehistoric monuments, including a causewayed enclosure where Mesolithic, Neolithic and Bronze Age flints have been found. This is high quality agricultural land and there is a long history of occupation. By the 19th there were large fields with some pits, for gravel or lime. Houses were gradually built along the riverside in the period before the Great War, Developed by local landowner, Colonel Palmer. By 1910, 11 large houses had been built on or near the river and the riverside properties each owned a section of riverfront. The ground floors of the houses were raised up because of annual floods. In 1919 Col Palmer sold yet more land for building - some bought by the Honest Housing Company, who later changed their name to Dorney Estates Company Ltd.
The Clock House. This was built as The Chalet around 1902-4 and was one of the earliest new houses built here in the 20th.
Footpath which goes to a bridge over the Jubilee River.
Dorney County School – this is a primary school which dates from 1958
Dornay Village Hall
This square covers a very short section of this flood prevention channel built in the 1990s.
London to Bristol Motorway.
Old Marsh Lane
An early access road to the 20th developments in the area ran down to the junction of Meadow way and Oak Stubbs Lane
Towpath was sold to the Thames Conservators in 1903 by Coil Palmer.
Trumpers were large tenant farmers in the area.
There is evidence of a late prehistoric settlement here found in crop marks
British History online. Web site Taplow
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Buckingham County Council. Web site
Chevous. Around Burnham in Old Photographs
Dorney History Group. Web site
Dornay School. Web site
Dornay Village Hall. Web site
Flight. Web site
Posted by M at 12:10