Post to the south Windsor Sport and the Castle and Datchet Mead
Yellowfoot Lodge – site which provides ‘team building’ games for businesses. The outfit dates from the 1990s. It is using a clubhouse and facilities which were a Thames Water staff recreation area.
Slough UDC Pumping Station. This water extraction site began as a private company supplying water to Slough in 1870. It was taken over by the local authority in 1912 and became part of what was then Thames Water Board in 1966. From 1973 it included a computerised control system for the water supply of the area as Thames Water’s Datchet pumping station. The site includes a covered reservoir which may date from its inception.
The Jubilee River is so new that it is not on any of the maps which Edith is using. It is a channel 7.2 miles long which was built in the early 21st to take overflow from the Thames and alleviate flooding in nearby towns. It returns Eton sewage works the water to the Thames downstream of Eton.
Black Potts footbridge
Black Potts railway viaduct. The channel also had to be taken through Black Potts Viaduct, which carries the railway line built to Windsor & Eton Riverside station.
This has also been known as Datchet Lane, and earlier Deadman’s Lane or Cutthroat Lane. It runs parallel to a stream called Willowbrook, and there are attractive bridges with footpaths over the stream into the Eton College playing fields.A John Pocock lived at Dutchman’s Farm in 1835, hence the name
1 Agars Plough. Hallhouse from the early 15th altered and extended in the late 18th and 19th. It is a part brick and timber frame encased in brick. This was once called Dutchman's Farmhouse. The farmer, later, was a Mr. Agar. It is thought that the name of “Dutchman’s Farm” may originally have been 'Dutchman’s Garden' and that it was laid out as such.
Agars Plough playing fields. These fields are used extensively by Eton College for sports. These include Cricket, Field Game, Football and Hockey. The land was bought by the College in 1895 following a lobbying exercise by ex-pupils.
Pavilion. This was built in 1902 and has a clock which had, or has on it ‘Maturum reditum polliticus redi’. A cricket shed was built in 1906 and a shed for Eton Ramblers in 1920 – this was octagonal and rustic. It included a war memorial to Ramblers who died in the Great War.
Thames Valley Athletics. This is a regional athletics centre developed by the boroughs of Winsor and Slough on Eton Colleges former athletics track. It opened in 1999 and is now shared by the local community, clubs and Eton College. It is managed by Datchet and Eton Leisure Club
Eton Sewage Works. Built by Simmonds and Ripley. This plant is marked on maps from the early 20th and appears to have now been adapted to serve the Leisure and Sports Centre other nearby Eton College buildings with a twin stream sewage treatment plant and associated pump stations.
Kennels are shown on maps near the sewage works site for the Eton College Hunt.
Water Quality Monitoring Station. Owned by Thames Water.
Fields to the south of Pocock’s Lane are owned by Eton College and were acquired by the founder in 1443. In the 19th they were known as the Upper and Lower Shooting Fields, and this may refer to archery here. They were later known as the Upper Club, the Lower Club, Middle Club, and Triangle.
Upper Club field was the main cricket field for Eton College. It is bordered by elm trees which were said to be planted by Provost Rous in the mid 17th. From the early 20th cricket matches were moved elsewhere partly because of flooding.
Sheep’s Bridge. This name is first noted in 1631 and may date from 1634. It crosses the outfall into the Thames of the Chalvey Ditch and the Colenorton Brook.
Raw water intake. This dates from 1973 and is controlled by Datchet Pumping Station in Eton Lane to the north east. It runs here in a straight pipeline to a works at Iver
Wharf. This stood immediately downstream of Sheep’s Bridge and was used by Eton College for the transfer of river borne goods. This later became a house and garden which was demolished in 1840.
Boathouse Cottage- is this the Eton Master’s Boathouse? Next to it was Ward’s Cottage where a pack of hounds were kept by the boys.
This is a long row of houses on what used to be Datchet road but which is now bypassed. It now runs along the Jubilee River protected by a large embankment which was poorly constructed and has had to be rebuilt.
Myrke is also the name of a stream
Austin Leigh, Eton Guide
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Datchet & Eton Leisure. Web site
Fraser. The History of Slough
Hydroserve. Web site
Jubilee River. Web site.
Royal Windsor Forum. Web site
Thames Water. Web site