Post to the north Kempton Park
Post to the east Portlane Bridge
Post to the south Sunbury Rivermead and Apps Court
The road was named for Batavia House which was built in the 17th and stood nearby. It was later replaced and subsequently demolished along with a large barn.
Strata House. Strata Technology dates from 1998, and was set up by people from BP’s Technical Services Division. They provide turnkey solutions to industry and academia for bespoke laboratory-scale equipment, skid mounted rigs and pilot plants for research and development.
Built on the site of the Bowater White Lodge Works.
White Lodge Works. Bowater Packaging Ltd. Bowater’s were the major paper making multinational. A British based company they began to buy packaging firms from the 1950s to form a paper products division, partly based here. They are now based in the US. White Lodge works was originally built in 1964 for Autolex who had been on site previously and made aluminium foil ware and crimped paper cups.
White Lodge. - A house here which became the base for the factory, a garage and a cafe.
31 The Jockey. This pub is closed and demolished to be replaced with houses. This pub was apparently originally called Home. It had been renamed the Britannia by 1877. It was further renamed the Jockey in 1927
This square covers only the southern section of the racecourse.
Kempton Park. This was parkland from the late middle ages, stocked with deer. Buildings were to the north of this square. In 1876 it was sold to the company who built the racecourse. In the Great War it was a transit depot for military vehicles. In the Second World War it was a camp for German and Italian Prisoners of War.
Racecourse. This was set up by Henry Hyde and the first ever race took place in 1878. In both World Wars racing was abandoned and the site was used for military purposes. Buildings associated with the racecourse are to the north west of this square.
Named for Kenton Court which stood in this area
Kenton Court Meadow
This is a cricket ground set up in 1957. In the 1970s County matches were played here.
Pavilion. This was opened by Len Hutton in 1959.
Sunbury Sports Association aka Sunbury Cricket Club. The club was founded in 1938 and initially played at the Cedars Recreation Ground moving to the London Irish Rugby Club ground in The Avenue. Later they bought Kenton Court Meadow with Hampton Hockey Club to form Sunbury Sports. This is now the Geoff Kaye Memorial Ground. Geoff and three school friends were founders of the Club and he served as an Officer of the Club until his death in 2004.
Sunbury Red Lions – this is a veterans’ hockey team which used to be associated with a now closed pub, called the Red Lion. Sunbury Hockey Club itself is now relocated elsewhere.
Sunbury Sports Bowls Club. ‘The club was founded in the 1960’s when Sunbury Cricket Club was looking to increase its portfolio of sports here.
Lower Hampton Road
Sunbury Court Salvation Army Conference Centre. This was built in 1723 by John Witt, before his marriage. The estate then extended to the banks of the River Thames and included the two islands. Witt was probably a retired master builder and sold the estate in 1735. In 1764 it was home to the 2nd Earl of Pomfret. From 1799 the estate had many owners in the 19th the Court was owned by William Harfield and survived a major fire. However Harfield built new wings, a library and a conference room. It later became the Sunbury Court Club and the Salvation Army purchased it in 1921 when it was empty and derelict. In the drawing room are frescos by Swedish Elias Martin. There is a hexagonal music salon, with a 3,000-piece crystal chandelier and there is also a curved main staircase. The Conference Room is where the first Salvation Army High Council gathered in 1929 and The Army's successive Generals have been elected here. The Army has used Sunbury Court as a gathering place, as an eventide home, a recreation and relaxation facility for soldiers, sailors and airmen, and a conference centre for torchbearers, home leaguers, youth leaders, local officers of various sections, and councils for staff and corps officers.
Tunnel Entrance. In the brick wall is the bricked up entrance to a tunnel built by Jack Needham, Lord Kilmorey in the 1860s.
White Lodge Garage, this was replaced by housing in 2001.
George Pub. This pub was present by 1769 and closed in 2008. It is now housing called ‘The Old George”.
Kenton House. This was a house and grounds which stood south of the road. The grounds are now the cricket club premises.
This is a ditch which runs alongside the western boundary of Sunbury Court – and is continued northwards as the line of a suburban road. It may originate in ponds which once stood near what are now the racecourse grandstands
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Kempton Park Racecourse. Web site
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Pub History. Web site
Salvation Army. Web site
Stratatec. Web site
Sunbury Cricket Club. Web site
Sunbury Sports Association. Web site
Walford. Village London
Wikipedia. Bowater History. Web site