Sunday, 26 August 2012

Dollis Brook - Moat Mount

Dollis Brook
The Dollis Brook rises in this area and flows eastwards

Post to the east Mays Lane
Post to the west Scratchwood

Barnet Lane
Hyver Hall. 19th house.

Hendon Wood Lane
This is the parish boundary and thought to be a minor Roman road
Barnet Gate Wood. This is a small ancient wood, with a canopy of oak and hornbeam, and an understorey of rhododendron. Some of the hornbeam have been trained as hedges and then allowed go wild

Hyver Hill
The White House. Built in 1934 by Denis Harrington for Fred Daniels, a film cameraman who worked at the Elstree Studios. This is in the style of Frank Lloyd H Wright's houses, which he had seen in Hollywood. Harrington has also been to America to study Wright’s work. It is in brick but cement rendered and flat roofed. Inside is a marble art deco staircase

Moat Mount Open Space
Moat Mount. The name dates from 1754 and refers to a moated house. Moat Mount Open Space is a nature reserve. There is 19th planting, including Wellingtonia. It was part of big shooting estate which included Scratchwood and the conifers were planted for that but there were also areas of ornamental gardens. It is also a hilly open space with good views and a watershed for sub-springs of the Silkstream via the Deansbrook and, to the west, the Dollis and possibly for the north-running Mimmshall brook. Moat Mount was once owned by Irwin Cox, Tory MP for Harrow from 1899 to 1906
Moat Mount Camp site and outdoor centre
Mote Mount House, a stuccoed villa, was rebuilt by Edward William Cox in the Renaissance manner. Cox was a lawyer and the founder of the Law Times. He encouraged Crockford and his Clerical Directory.  It made a vast amount of money and Cox bought Sergeant’s Inn and took the contents to Moat Mount House.  He built the present Moat Mount House which included Sergeant’s Inn's hall which he reconstructed with the original stained glass windows from the hall and chapel at the inn – this is now in the Law Society Hall in Holborn. In 1799 the site was a piece of land surrounded by a moat and any building there had been demolished long before.
Possible Iron Age earthwork made up of an earth and gravel rampart with outer ditch – site of Mote Mount House.
The drive to Mote Mount follows the ditch of the Iron Age fort.
Gravel Pit Wood
Tanglewood
Target Wood
Nut Wood – this contains Leg of Mutton Pond which is the source of the Deansbrook
Mote End Farm. Livery stables in farm site used by various film companies as a location. Up to the 1960's it was a working dairy farm.
Control bunker in the farm drive which serviced a Second World War anti-aircraft gun emplacement on what now their cross country course

Sources
Arkley. Wikipedia web site
Field. London Place Names
Moat Mount web site
Pastscape web site
Pevsner and Cherry.  London North
Smyth. Citywildspace
Walford, Village London

2 comments:

John Wiles said...

Fred Daniels the original owner of The White House was not 'a film cameraman at the nearby Elstree studios' but a pioneer of British "Stills" portrait photography. As well as portraits he collaborated with film makers Powell and Pressburger "The Archers" including publicity portraits for their films. His studio was in Piccadilly , near London's Theatreland. There has been a recent (2013) exhibition of some of his work at the National Portrait Gallery.

John Wiles said...

Hyver Hall is a mid 19th century asymmetrical 2 storey stuccoed house.
There are some notable omissions including Hyver Manor (formally St Andrews, formally Lorraine) a french chateau style house with rounded tower. High Acres (built 1960) a modernist upside down house, positioned and designed to take advantage of the spectacular views over London. Phredella House owned in the 1950s by General Motors who installed the american MD of Frigidaire Europe in the property. The Spinney