Waterworks River, City Mill River, Bow Back River, Three Mills Wall River, Channelsea River
The Waterworks River and the City Mill River flow south east and meet to
form the Bow Back River flowing south west and the Three Mills River flowing
south. The Prescott Channel leaves the
Three Mills River to the south east. The
Channelsea River flows south into Abbey Creek
The Great Eastern Railway to Ilford runs north eastwards still coming from Bethnal Green Station
Post to the north Stratford
Post to the west Old Ford
Post to the south Bromley by Bow
Abbey Creek is a tidal inlet between the River Lea and the Channelsea.
It is north of the Channelsea Island. It
provides a wetland
habitat with reed beds and mud banks with a colony of the German Hairy Snail
Long Wall Path. Path along the north bank of Abbey Creek. The path
should go from Abbey Mills to Three Mills via the Prescott Channel alongside
the Creek. It has been blocked for the convenience of TV companies.
The Snail. A piece
of redundant turbine from the pumping station.
under the Northern Outfall Sewer which used to lead to Abbey Lock Tide Gates
and the Channelsea River.
This was once called Abbey Mill Road
School21 Primary School. This is a ’free’ school opened in early 2012 in
new buildings. It is the Primary part of a school which includes primary and
64 Royal Mail Delivery Office
Dominant Works. This was here in the 1950s, owned by W.May making selling
Established in 1895, the firm was here in 1939. Since 1943 it has been based in
Rochdale. Makers of Dexonite Super Ebonite for electrical insulation and also
specialists in the manufacture of mouldings, tubes, rods and sheets for all Air
Ministry requirements. They also made synthetic rubbers,
Channelsea House Business Centre
Abbey Mills. Sewage pumping
complex consists of four individual pumping stations, the Group HQ buildings,
stores and mechanical engineering workshops. It handles the sewage of the 52 square miles low level area
of north London and all dry weather flow is pumped her via the Northern
Outfall.. It also deals with the flow from two Northern Low Level sewers, the
Isle of Dogs branch sewer and the West Ham diversion sewer, which all meet
here. Storm Sewage from this Low Level system is lifted about Twelve metres to
the Outfall Sewers which are in the embankment on the north east side of the
Station. From there is flows by gravity to the Beckton Works 4 miles away. Storm over flow is pumped direct to Abbey
Creek. The total Capacity of the station is 3,410,000 m/d.
Gates and gate piers to Abbey
Mills Pumping Station. Built 1868 and probably by Bazalgette. Brick gate piers
with wrought iron gates which have scrolled and fancy ironwork. Lodge also
Built 1865 by Bazalgette for the Metropolitan Board of Works. Single storey brick building
116-130 Houses for the workmen in pairs built in 1865. They front onto Abbey Lane and the sewer's embankment.
Built 1865 by Bazalgette,
they are generously laid out.
Superintendent's House. This
is the end house in the terrace. It is a brick
house with fancy rainwater pipes and chimneys
Reservoirs marked on 1890s map behind the cottages
Station A. The main engine house at
Abbey Mills. Built 1865-1868 by
Bazalgette for the Metropolitan Board of Works. it originally housed eight beam Engines of a gross
capacity of about 720.000 m/d with
cylinders 4'6" in diameter, a stroke of 9', beams 40' long and flywheels 28' in
diameter.. They and the associated sixteen Cornish boilers were built by
Rothwell & Co., Bolton. They were removed in the early 1930s and replaced with
eight electrically driven centrifugal pumps –‘Daleks’. The
building’s design is said to show the influence of Ruskin. It is cruciform with
an octagonal Lantern and domed towers. Each arm of the cross terminates in a
massive porch with polychromatic decoration. Inside the crossing is supported
by decorated cast iron Columns. The design has been attributed to Bazalgette
himself, his chief assistant engineers - Edmond Cooper and John Grant, the Metropolitan
Board of Works chief architect George Vulliamy, and Charles Driver, an
architect who specialised in such projects. William Webster was the contractor. Inside is elaborate fancy iron work,
including plaques with the arms of the constituent London boroughs of the
Metropolitan Board of Works.
Station B. This
used to be called the Diesel Engine House and was built in the early 1890s; re-engined
in 1934 and 1972. It had two electric and two diesel driven pumps used For the
Isle of Dogs Branch Sewer.
Station C. This was the Gas Engine House built 1910 - 1914 and
until 1972 contained gas-engined centrifugal pumps, later replaced by Diesel
engines. They lifted storm water to the Outfall Sewers or Abbey Creek.
Station D. built
in 1970/71 for diverting West Ham flows to Abbey Mills, and used for pumping
storm water only to the Abbey Creek. It had electrical pumps operated by remote
control from Station A.
New Pumping Station. Shiny metal
building opened in 1997 with a reinforced concrete substructure and pumps on the
ground floor. The engineers were Ove
Arup & Partners; architects were Allies and Morrison.
Chimneys. Two free standing chimneys were taken out at the
outbreak of the Second World War. The bases remain. Built 1865 and
designed by Bazalgette for the Metropolitan Board of
Works in brick. They have elaborate
porches with fancy capitals.
Storage building on the Abbey
Mills site. Built 1865 by Bazalgette in grey brick
Gas works wall. Wall of West Ham
gas works which stood in Union Road. Gate to the Transco Operational Holder
Bridge over the
Channelsea. Beside it was Abbey gateway
and a toll bar stood here. Rebuilt 1967.
Mills Play Centre. Designed by Hawkins Brown with a steel frame and barrel
West Ham Abbey once covered much of this
area. The site, including that of the
Abbey buildings, was between the Channelsea and what is now Manor Road to the east of this square. Stratford Langthorne Abbey, or the Abbey of
St Mary's, Stratford Langthorne was a Cistercian monastery founded in
1135, a daughter house of Savigny Abbey.
It was one of the largest
Cistercian abbeys in England with 1,500 acres of land, and 20 Essex
manors. Nothing visible remains on the
site, factories were built here and now the Jubilee Line depot. Recent archaeology had identified some
elements of the Abbey.
Wharf and port
area developed here by the Abbey and for the use of local mills. By 1920 their
dock was filled in and factories built on the site. The Wharf for the Abbey Mill
was just south of Abbey Lane Bridge.
Calico grounds. In 1747 marshes between Stratford and the Abbey Mill
were called the ‘calico grounds’ for which in 1699 a calico printer built
sluices and dams in the Channelsea River. It is thought that the first
calico-printer in England was William Sherwin of West Ham, who took out a
patent in 1676, and had a virtual monopoly.
Ham Abbey Print Works. This was established about 1830 by R. & E. Littler,
silk printers from Merton. Reading Littler is said to have developed a 'madder
green' dye and to have given the recipe to John Tucker who had taken over the
works by 1840. Archaeologists have identified a large single storey shed marked
as 'Dye House'. Below the Stone Company's building was a flagged floor stained
with reds, browns and blues and intersected with brick lined drainage channels.
Fragments of London Stoneware pottery jars were found marked as 'West Ham
Abbey' and 'Tucker'.
Patent Victoria Stone Company Ltd. They were on the east bank of the Channelsea. A shed
built here in 1891 was later used to store paper for the Daily Mirror. The
company was formed to exploit the 1860s patents of Henry Highton for the
production of an artificial stone. Syenite from the Groby Quarries in
Leicestershire was ground, mixed with Portland cement and cast in moulds. The
resulting block was steeped in silicate of soda for ten days and it was then hard
and impervious. The remains of large concrete steeping tanks have been
Stronghold Works. Saul D
Harrison. The firm was founded in Great Yarmouth in 1891 and is now in Romford.
They make cleaning cloths, wipes, rag merchants and makers of re-cycled cloths.
Plant includes a huge rag washing machine which resembles a rotary cement kiln
in its construction
Ingham Clark varnish
factory which was here from 18952 to the 1930s. They had previously been
founded in the City of London in 1846. They made ‘Britmore’ paint and varnish
and eventually aeroplane dope and had other factories in Paris and Buffalo.
Langthorne Works. Richard
Gay & Co 1900 making paint and became part of Pinchin Johnson
West Ham Sewage Pumping Station. Built by West Ham Corporation from 1897 by Lewis Angel to raise
sewage to the Northern Outfall. West Ham
had previously not had permission to do this and so had been pumping into Abbey
Creek. The works had two Woolf compound
rotative beam pumping engines built by Lilleshall and Co., 1895-1900. There are
also three compound steam engines driving centrifugal pumps which have now been
removed. There were nine Lancashire boilers, four hand fired and five
mechanically stoked. The engines last ran in January 1972. The building is in
use as a training facility and the state of the engines, etc is unknown.
Adam and Eve Road
This has now disappeared under the Jubilee Line depot. However it was
originally a right-angled northwards turn of Abbey Lane, defining the site of
the Abbey and leading to its lands. It was named for a pub.
West Ham Borough housing
built for people displaced by Grove Bridge. 1936
26 Albion Pub. Now demolished. Opened in the early
Rogers, tin plate works were here 1862-74. They were taken over Shinwells before
1928. Now gone
Nissen Huts used as housing
after bombing. Still there in 1969
Stratford Market. The Great
Eastern Railway established this fruit and vegetable market in 1879. It was
connected to the main line at Stratford and had extensive sidings alongside
Bridge Road. Trains were able to run right into the market shed. After the
Second World War the market gradually began to use lorries and this trade
continued into the 1990s particularly after 1964 when a fire
at Bishopsgate meant that trade came to Stratford, including Sugar beet for
Tate and Lyle. There were approximately 22 warehouses in lightweight
cast and wrought iron clad in timber matchboard. South of this was the Great Eastern
Railway coal yard
The road leads to an area which is essentially an island between the
Waterworks River, the sewer and the railway.
Beam Bridge over the Waterworks River
built in 1938. The Contractors were Commercial Structures Ltd. has two spans
cantilevered from a support in mid-channel. The approach to it has granite setts.
Bow Paper works. Kendon Packaging Group was set
up in Bow by Leslie Kendon in 1933 to sell paper and twine. The firm is now run
by his sons and grandson. They take
Kraft, greaseproof and tissue paper in roll and sheet form and cut it as
customers need. The works was compulsorily purchased for the Olympics and
Kendon have relocated to Enfield and the buildings demolished
Light Engineering Works
Acrise Freight Depot. This is now on the
site of the paper and an engineering works.
Stratford Market Depot. Carriage sidings
and depot of the Jubilee Line extension on the site of factories and of Adam
and Eve Road. One of the first buildings to be completed on the
Jubilee Line Extension, this was a complex providing train maintenance and
stabling facilities alongside extensive office and ancillary buildings. A super
shed was designed as the main train shed. This, by Wilkinson Eyre, is A 100m
wide, with a 190m long arched roof to coves 11 maintenance bays.
Stratford workshops. Great Eastern Railway print
works built in 1893 and enlarged in 1901. The building is in distinctive
railway style of red and blue brick is in a large rectangular block. Here
timetables, posters, handbills, tickets and other items were printed, with the
composing room on the top floor.
South Central by Stock Woolstencroft, 2003, characteristic such early 21st development
in Stratford. Five blocks of offices and flats.
Carpenters Tenant Management Centre
Channelsea is culverted through this area and a public footpath runs along much
of its length,
Bridge to the island from chemical works on the riverside
This is an artificial island dating from the
11th and constructed for the abbey mill. The
island was given to Barking Abbey by Queen Maud in about 1110. Christ’s
Hospital owned it later. Since 1996 owned by Anjuman-e-Islahul Muslim
charitable trust for with plans for a
mosque on the island as part of their Riverine site to the east on the former
Abbey Mill. The earliest mill recorded here was called Wiggen Mill later
called Honeredes or the Abbey Mill. This water-mill was given by Queen Maud to
Barking Abbey as the endowment for Bow and Channelsea bridges. It was later
bought by Stratford Abbey which had it until the Dissolution after which it was
privately owned but was in the hands of Christ’s Hospital from the 1670s. The hospital sold it in 1914 to West Ham
borough council and it stopped work before 1929. It stood on an island in the
Channelsea River and was mainly been a corn mill but ground rape and linseed in
the 18th. In the 18th the site included a smock windmill
and by 1819 when the water-mill was on the east of the site, the windmill was on
the west, and an engine house behind it. The complex was burnt down in the
early 1860s and rebuilt in brick. In the Second World War it was again burnt
down, and the site cleared in 1967
Halling Wharf – this is now housing
Pinchin Johnson, paint
and varnish makers here from around 1895 and moved to Canning Town in 1920
City Mill River
City Mill or Spileman’s Mill was on the City Mill River. It was connected with Saynes Mill for most of
its history. From the 13th they were administered by the City Bridge House as
part of the funding for London Bridge. Spilemans Mill was held in the 13th
century by John Spileman and it was a fulling mill in1304 and 1354. In 1600 it had
two water-mills one of which was for Gunpowder Mill. In 1738 there was a
cornmill, a fulling mill, a limekiln, a mill-house, a warehouse, and five
cottages. In 1805 Part of the premises was leased by Howard & Allen while
other parts were used for corn-grinding, and paper. Howards remained until
1914. After 1914 the City of London let the premises in separate lots and in
1932–3 it was demolished under the River Lee Flood Relief Scheme.
Howards and Sons,
established at City Mills from 1805. The original partnership was between Luke
Howard and William Allen in 1798 with a pharmacy in Lombard Street and a laboratory
at Plaistow which moved to City Mills under Luke Howard and Joseph Jewell... The
company developed products as the result of experimental work done by members
of the Howard family by the 1830's Howard and Jewell's work on quinine was resulting
in it becoming the most profitable enterprise of the company. In 1898, the firm began a move to Ilford and
was purchased by Laporte in March 1961
City Mill Lock. The lock is the junction of Three Mills Wall
River, Waterworks River, St Thomas’ Creek and City Mill River. It was built as part of the
1930s improvement programme with conventional mitre gates. It had two pairs of
gates pointing west, so the lock could be used when the level of the water in
the Waterworks River was lower than in the City Mill River, and a another pair
pointing east, to stop high tides in the Waterworks River forcing the gates
open, and draining City Mill River. The original gates lasted for almost
seventy years, but by 2000 were thought unsafe. In 2005, it was partly restored
as planning gain from the developers of Bellamy Homes. Three sets of steel
gates were installed and paths and access arrangement were improved. This left
the lock in good condition, but not operational. That was later funded by the
money for the Olympic Games and the lock was formally reopened in 2010.
Houses with plaques for a building date of 1911.
Bennet and Jenner Ltd. Chemical manufacturers in the 1930s-40s. On the
site of the Royal Mail depot. Sulphur kilns are shown on 1940s maps.
Printing works 1950s
Carpenters Primary School. The
Carpenters’ Company maintain close links with the school
changes in the 1930's the main road from London crossed the Lea and its
branches at Stratford by five bridges, all of ancient origin. The High Street was a causeway between them
and the bridges have been said to have been built by various mill owners. The River Lea flood relief scheme was a means of
change. In the 1960s the road became a dual
carriage way from Station Street to Bow Bridge where the flyover was built in
Groves Bridge. Built in 1933 to replace St. Michael's, Peg's Hole and
St. Thomas' Bridges. The Contractors were
U & C French Ltd. and the engineers were
Lionel Jenkins MA Mints C.Eng. It was named after Alderman Thomas Groves. The Mayor of West Ham when it was built
by that Borough. T
original Channelsea Bridge was, like Bow Bridge
originally built with money from Queen Maud and Administered by Stratford Langhorne Abbey. It
was built between 1100 and 1118, to carry
the main road over the Channelsea River. Some of the original 1741 bridge is said to be visible below the
concrete box and lower corner is medieval.
Harrow or St. Michael’s Bridge was at the Abbey Lane
junction 1850s St. Michael's (or Harrow) Bridge and spanning, the eastern arms
of Waterworks river. It was replaced by Groves Bridge. It was owned by the City of London as the
owners of Saynes Mill. The bridge dated from at least the 14th and
was in stone. It had been rebuilt in 1790, with a single stone arch. There were
several works alongside it or nearby – a Harrow Bridge Ironworks, and chemical
works, one of which was concerned with brewing sugars.
84 Harrow Pub. Now disappeared the pub was there from
Bridge Wharf. In the 19th this was a lime and slate works owned by
James Maw & Son.
Pegshole Bridge. This was a brick bridge which spanned
the western arm of Waterworks River. .
It was owned by the City of London as the owners of Saynes Mill. The
bridge dated from at least the 14th but during the 19th, as the
result of confusion over the ownership of Pegshole and St.Thomas's bridges, the
names of those two bridges were transposed. In 1933 Sit was replaced by Groves
Bridge, built in connection with the flood relief scheme
St. Thomas of Acre Bridge. Owned by the owner of
St.Thomas Mill, but mistakenly swapped round for Pegshole Bridge.
Bow China Factory. The factory site is thought to have been on the
north side of the street east of Cook's Road, west of Marshgate Lane and south
of the Bow Back River. The Bow porcelain factory 1747-1764 was like
the contemporary Chelsea works involved in the manufacture of early soft paste
porcelain copying imported Chinese and Japanese and Meissen figures. The
partners were Thomas Frye and Edward Heylyn probably using a factory already
existing here. In 1750 Frye was manager of the factory, 'New Canton, under
owners John Crowther and Weatherby. By 1758, the three hundred people were
employed but by 1776 the owners were bankrupt and the health of the
owners ruined by the process. The remaining assets were transferred to Derby.
Fragments of porcelain were found during excavations in 1867 and further finds
were in 1921 behind a row of wooden-fronted buildings known as "China
Row." An inlet from the
tidal Bow Back River is likely to have been used as a dock in the 17th.
What may be the remains of tanners were found there and also a sawpit. Dumped
material included examples of sprig moulded china wars, under glaze-blue
Chinese imitations, enamelled wares, cutlery handles and of the figurines.
32-36 Central House. It is
thought that part of the Bow Chinas works was on the site of this block.
Poth, Hille & Co Ltd. Established 1870, appear to have come to Stratford
some time in the early 20th .
They make a variety of waxes including beeswax, carnauba wax, ozokerite;
polish waxes for boot, floor and furniture polish makers, Japan wax,
of Bell and Black, manufacturers of wax vestas, camphorated gas and patent wire
fuses 1839-1882. They had offices at Bow Lane in the City, and branches in
Manchester, York and Glasgow.
119 Woodman Pub. This was a Watney’s house on site by 1870 and rebuilt in 1930.
Closed in 2006 and the building is in other use.
113-135 Sugar refinery. in 1843
a factory stood on the south sie of the stret west of Three Mills river, It was
occupied by Charles Saunders. In 1852 it was controlled by Law Bros and in 1853
by William Corrie. It ids thiugh this refinery gaven its name to Sugar House
Lane. What is thought to have been a warehouse survives
160-170 Warton House. This
was Yardley's Box Factory built in 1937. It is a straightforward
‘modern’ building by Higgins & Thomerson with a tiled facade and a curved
end. The railings have 'Y' motifs; and on the west end is a tiled
picture of the 'Primrose Sellers’, from Wheatley's Cries of London series,
adapted by Yardley. Currently covered with scaffolding to be ‘refurbished’.
196 Green Man Pub. This was there before 1700 and closed in 2000,
demolished in 2002. It once had its own distillery, but by 1937 was a Truman’s
Deason and Co. Timber Merchants since
Wilmer & Sons. Green Cast
Iron Building accessories from 1874 Wilmer and Sons 1900. They took over Lea's
Foundries in 1942. Closed 1963
Greengate Pub. This was a Taylor Walker house, on site by 1859. Closed in 1997
and demolished in 2010
Two Brewers Pub. This pub was on site before
1776 and closed, as a Charrington’s house in 1995. Since demolished.
& Green. Made cast-iron accessories for the building trade in Stratford
from 1874. In around 1900 they became Wilmer and sons and in 1939 took over the
neighbouring Lea Foundry Ltd.in 1942, to become Wilmer Lea Foundries in1945.
They left in 1962.
West Ham Labour Party offices. 1930s facade with faience-clad
320 The Builder's Arms, Interwar free Tudor of 1937; pretty gutters with
foliage trails and hoppers marked 'BB'
Stratford Market Station. Opened in 1847 by the Eastern Counties Railway.
The name at the start was Stratford Bridge and renamed when the Great Eastern's
vegetable market was opened in 1880. In 1892 it was rebuilt and resited to
allow for accommodating two more freight lines and the building on the High
Street dates from this time. The station was used for trains running into
Fenchurch Street from the North Woolwich which did not call at Stratford Low
Level. But this service was withdrawn in 1940. The statin closed in 1957. The
roadside entrance building remained empty for a long time but in 1975 it was renovated
for commercial use. If was again refurbished by Newham Council in 1995 with a
public walkway passing through the east corner. The freight complex to the rear
of the station now houses the Jubilee Line depot and the station platforms were
not finally demolished until the early 1990's when the Jubilee Line was
extended through the station
322 Broadway House and Jubilee House. Council Offices, 1980s. .
335-7 The Yorkshire Grey. This pub was
present by 1751 and was a coaching inn. It was renamed The Log Cabin in 2000 and closed in
2005, shortly. The core of the building is 1740, with a
closed-string stair. Currently being refurbished probably as a hotel.
Lonsdale. Factory in 1839 making emery cloth on a site adjacent to the south
side of St.Michael’s Bridge. In 1862 the
works became Stratford Emery and Glass, managed by and taken over by Charles
Poupard until 1870.
Christ Church. Built 1852 to serve Stratford Marsh. Thomas Curtis
contributed to the cost of the site and the building. The stone building was
designed by John Johnson in 14th style with a north tower and a spire. Demolished
Duncan House. University of East London building about to be replaced by a 33 storey blocl
and Grow. Young people’s project on some of the pumping station’s grounds and
using old caretaker’s house.
Animal Products. Dead dog factory. They came from
Lambeth in 1860s, because of by laws on offensive trades there and began to use
imported bones here. They produced tallow, meal, animal food and
Public baths pre‑1930
owned by Carpenters Co. demolished.
The road has now vanished under redevelopment
Wix Co. Cigarette factory for Kensitas. Julius Wix was born in Russia in 1860 and came to London where he
worked as a tobacco cutter and blender. In 1901 he set up in business in Whitechapel
and various other east London address. The
factory was taken over by North East London Polytechnic as Livingstone House.
Stratford Gas Works. It was opened in 1845
by the West Ham Gas company and passed in 1910 to the Gas Light and Coke Co. (The
‘Chartered Company’ based in Beckton).
It became part of the North Thames Gas Board on nationalisation in 1949.
In 1956 output was 1,241m cubic feet of gas. Coal
from via the Great Eastern railway and the Channelsea – for many years cast
iron columns remained embedded in the wall along the Channelsea River and there
was a canopy over the towpath on opposite site to stop coal falling on passersby. One gasholder remains on site
Bowden’s Glassworks. Established
in Highgate in the late 18th, John Bowden Ltd, glass benders, moved
to Bloomsbury in 1800. After the Second World War they took over part of Grove
Glassworks, The works contained kilns used to bend large panes of window glass,
which was heated and allowed to assume the shape of a mould before being
Grove Glassworks. Robinson,
King and Co & British Challenge Glazing Co., glass makers of Barklay
reflectors, and other scientific glassware, plate glass stockists. 1916 and later
Pillar Holdings, bombed
Loose Ltd. cocoa and
T.H.Harris tallow melter.
Moved here in 1873 and left in 1952 having been associated with Unilever.
Jeffery (Waterproof) Ltd. Established
1841, probably in Commercial Road, Limehouse, came here 1879. Made marine
glues, resins, sealing compounds
Walker Ltd. Made Printing inks and rollers
and opened in Sugar House Lane in 1892. They were bombed out there in 1940 and
rebuilt in Marshgate Lane. They incorporated Slater & Palmer who began in
Marshgate Lane in 1882. They are now part of Sun Chemicals.
Crown Sulphur works on
site for 40 years. Originally T.D. Crown it later became Johnson and Hooper
Outfall. Part of Bazalgette's main drainage scheme constructed for the
Metropolitan Board of Works. Built in 1862-3, it runs in a 12 foot high earth
embankment from the Wick Lane Main Drainage Depot. There is a public footpath
along the top. It is made of brick barrels while plate-girder bridges, with
decorative balustrades, carry the sewers in pipes over river channels, roads
and railways. There is a mid-19th century
cast iron plaque on the brick support of the sewer which states “ESSEX SEWERS.
This erection placed on the ancient River wall by permission of the Court of
Sewers subject to all their rules and orders. The owner is required always to
keep the surfaces of the ground up to this STANDARD LEVEL”.
Rick Roberts Way
Main road through a regeneration area south of the High Street
Stratford Wire Works. Founded as the Henry Aimno Wire Works in 1878. Became
the Dupree Wire Works 1882-1926,
became Stratford Wire Works, still on site.
Sugar House Lane
The road is built through the line of what was a dock reached by a short
channel from the Lea. This may have been built by the Middlesex and Essex
Turnpike Trust, the site owners. It was originally called Stratford Dock, and later
Meggs Dock, after a local firm. It was filled in in the early 20th when
it was called Mill River Wharf.
Dane & Co Ltd. began making printing inks here in 1853. The Dane
Group plc occupied a group of buildings between Sugar House Lane and Three
Mills Wall River. A mid-20th century building on High Street has
tiled panel of a Great Dane to advertise the firm. The firm moved to Manchester
where they introduced Day Glo colours, and has since been bought by an American
Hodson and Co. 1862-1939.thought to be the first dye works in the area. Harry Hudson & Co had works in Mitcham, The City
and elsewhere. They were white lead, colour, printing ink and varnish
and Cumber Ltd. c. 1878. Printing ink manufacturers.
M.Petrushkin Ltd. Established 1894.
Came to Sugar House Lane 1956.
'Petapak Products'. Make cardboard boxes, fine paperboard containers,
Named after the Streimer Nougat works in Victoria Street
Royal Mail Stratford Delivery Office
Site of A.T.More paint
manufacture 1890 until 1920s
(Stratford) Ltd. 1917 'makers of oil, chemical and petroleum
jelly, general merchants and shippers.' Later
made waterproofing and fireproof flooring materials.
VW Co., A late 1920's firm who started
with motor radiators, cylinders, wings, bonnets and exhaust boxes, and later
general sheet metal work, turning, milling, machine tool designs, etc.
James Palmer candles and
Ltd. This firm was based here in the 1962 selling the Italian Brezza motor
scooter by Aermacchi
Lea Bank Works. Johnson
chemical works, 1870s
Saynes Mill. The name probably means 'the lord's mill', and in the 13th it
was held of Richard de Montfitchet, lord of a manor in East and West Ham. It
was a water-mill, in 1304. It was
closely connected to Spileman's Mill, on City Mill River, and from the 13th they
were part of the endowment of London Bridge, administered by the wardens of the
Bridge House. In 1615 the property was a water-mill plus land and it was for many
years occupied by the Slipper family, and was sometimes called Slippers Mill. In
1652, after there were two water-mills. The West Ham Waterworks Co., about
1745, proposed to set up works on land rented from John Cox the then lessee of
Saynes Mill, and by 1762 the Waterworks company had bought his residue of his
lease. The company rebuilt the corn-mill and had installed a pumping engine on
the east side of the premises. . Water
was drawn from the Lea at Saynes Mill - ‘and a fire engine throws the water out
of a creek… conveyed into a reservoir to settle and a mill used later’. The Waterworks Co retained the mill until 1883 and it became known as
the Waterworks Mill. In 1873–81 it was occupied by factories. And by 1893 it had
Windmill - In 1720 Saynes Mill included a windmill and in 1744–6 and
1777 there was windmill east of Waterworks River. In 1849 it was a derelict post
Named after WilmerLea Foundries, in the High Street until 1962
Trolley bus switch point
Earliest West Ham council
houses by Lewis Angel, Borough Surveyor.
British History. Essex web site
British Listed Buildings web site
City Mill River. Wikipedia web site
Closed pubs web site
Dead pubs web site
Diamond Geezer blog site
Discover the Bow Back Rivers leaflet
Docklands Light Railway Trail
East London Record
Friends of the Earth. Gasworks sites in London
Good Beer Guide. East London
Kieve. History of the Telegraph
Lea Valley Walk leaflet
Lewis. Essex and Sugar
London Borough of Newham web site
London County Council leaflet, Sewers
London Railway Record
London’s Industrial Archaeology
London’s Water Supply, leaflet
Martin. London Industry in the 19th
Mills. Gas and Chemicals in east London
Mills. People and Places in the early London Gas Industry
Morris. Archives of the Chemical industry,
Newham Story web site
Parks. The Chemical Industry in West Ham
Sainsbury. History of West Ham,
Smith. Notes on lead manufacture in London
Stewart, Gasworks in the North Thames Gas region
Thames Basin Group. A
Survey of Industrial Monuments of Greater London
Thames Water leaflet,
Trench and Hillman, London Under London
Walford. Village London,
Wilson, London’s Industrial Archaeology