Salmons Brook flows south
The remains of a village area surrounded by urban Edmonton
Post to the west Winchmore Hill
Street was a small village with a hall, a big house, a farm.
Hall. This stood south of Bury Street roughly in the
area of Darley Road. It was a grand Jacobean house, enlarged in 1750. It was home to
the Galliard family but its last owner was William Bowater, the paper-maker. It
was said to have a cellar “covers a larger area than the house, and is believed
to have been connected with a subterranean passage that linked up the old
houses in Bury Street, and connected with the Church.” It was demolished for the
building of Cambridge Road in 1920.
Hall Farm stood opposite the Hall on the north side of Bury Street
Park Bowls Club
and Hounds. 1920s rebuild of a much older pub
16th brick and timber house with clustered chimneystacks,
part weather boarded. Used as an Arts Centre
Lodge. Medieval house which was adjacent to Salisbury House. Demolished in
Bury Lodge Park ornamental garden and play facilities.
The Gardens were laid out on the grounds of Bury Lodge by Edmonton Urban
District Council in 1936. It was officially opened in 1937 and much of the
original layout is intact. There is a rose garden, a lily pond, a pergola, an
open-air draughts board, a paddling pool and a grass plot for games.
Sports and Social Club
Hall Villas – 1930s houses near the site of Bury Hall.
George’s Field. Sports field in strip alongside the main road.
County School. This is the Cambridge Campus which was the
upper school up until 2009. These buildings were the old grammar school. The
school was founded in 1919 as Edmonton Central School, where girls and boys
under Middlesex County Council it became Edmonton County Secondary School and
later Edmonton County Grammar School. In 1967, it was amalgamated with
Rowantree Secondary Modern School as a comprehensive called Edmonton School. It
became a specialist technical college in 2003.
Churchfields Recreation Ground. Rugby pitches
County School. This is the ‘Lower school’ of Edmonton County School, housed in
the buildings of Rowantree Secondary Modern School
Pub rebuilt in 1936 on a slightly different site.
Road School. Interwar Primary School. Opened in 1928. The expanding suburbs of the
1930s meant that Middlesex County Council had to provide a stream of schools. The Raglan Schools was the first to be founded by
Edmonton’s education committee. In 1944 the senior department became a mixed
secondary modern and in 1960 this moved to Rowantree School and Raglan reverted
to being a primary. The Infants School was built in 1934.
of here were the kilns of a brick works, separated from the railway by open
land and a cricket ground
Pevsner & Cherry North London
History of Middlesex, Middlesex CC
Edmonton School web site
Raglan Road School web site
Friends of Bury Lodge Park web site