Bounds Green Brook
Green Brook flows north eastwards
TQ 29793 91467
Suburban area crossed which lies south of the North Circular Road and which is crossed north:south by the main line railway from Kings Cross. It includes a site of Middlesex University and a number of large defunct industrial sites, as well as some open space and the remains of an outdoor baths
Post to the west Colney Hatch
Post to the north Arnos Grove
Post to the south Alexandra Park
Post to the east Bowes Park
Martin of Porres Roman Catholic School. This is a Primary School with a
part-time nursery. The school opened in 1972 and the nursery in 1980. St.
Martin was a Peruvian saint. The site was previously tennis courts.
name Bounds Green seems to date from the early 17th and Bounds is known to have
been a local family name
Middlesex University. The
University site in Bounds Green Road home of the Engineering and Information Technology schools was sold in
2003 and is now housing plus a trading estate
Polytechnic. This predecessor to the University was established in a concrete
warehouse by Rock Townsend 1977-81. This was to give a high-tech factory image
by recladding in sheet steel, with much colourful pipework exposed in an
The Standard Bottle Co. Ltd. Established in 1836 but on
this site from 1921. They had three regenerative furnaces
here and made all types of bottles and Jars. Closed in 1971.The Polytechnic
building was on this site.
sidings and internal narrow-gauge system were on the site now covered by
Ringway and a line went to the bottle works. Loco Carbon, built 1930, was working
here and disposed of in 1971 – now preserved at Leighton Buzzard.
Bounds Green Industrial Estate – trading estate alongside what was the Polytechnic building. Most of the buildings appear to date from early 1960s.but look older.
Bounds Green Station. Opened between Arnos Grove
and Wood Green stations on the Piccadilly Line. It was built for the London
Electric Railway, which became the Piccadilly line. The street level building
was designed by C.H. James and the main booking hall tower is octagonal. In 1940 the station was bombed and there is a Memorial
plaque to those who died in the attack - 19 killed and
52 injured when the station tunnel caved in.
With a vertical rise of 51.88ft, the escalators were the longest on the line.
The design of the station is a variant on the type used elsewhere in the line. With
an original bronze uplighter in the centre of the ticket hall.
Edwards House, sheltered housing, on the site of the Passmore Edwards Cottage
Hospital. This was here between 1895 and 1983. In land was bought from the
Ecclesiastical Commissioners and the foundation stone was laid by John Passmore
Edwards. The hospital was opened in 1895 and built with funding from the
Passmore Edwards Foundation. It had 8 beds and was supported by local doctors. The
hospital was extended on several occasions. In 1933 it was renamed as Wood
Green and Southgate Hospital and In 1948 joined the NHS, The Hospital was
modernised in 1973 and closed in 1983.
Park Tavern, including a Theatre Club. Irish pub.
Ranelagh. Mitchell and Butlers Pub
The road is named after surgeon Henry Cline who lived in
Bounds Green House in 1808
Bounds Green Farm stood on the east side of the current
road on the corner of Bounds Green Road
Tealdown Works. Used as a down
quilt factory who in 1947 were manufacturers of down
quilts, bedspreads, cushions, embroideries, and curtains. The building appears
to date from pre-1950s. Assume it is the current Textile House
now used as a clothing factory since the 1970s.
House. Currently in use by Ming al (London) Institut – a British Chinese Food Culture Project
Cottage style houses built for Wood Green UDC in 1921 by T.
H. Mawson and R. Dam; simple, with rendered walls.
Wood Green Lido. Opened in 1934, with a double shallow
end and Designed by E.P. Mawson. It was filled by road tanker from an artesian
well in Broomfield Road after the Metropolitan Water Board refused to provide
the water. It closed after 1988 season. Most of the original buildings remain as
the Sunshine Garden Centre
Saam Theatre. Anglo Iranian theatre company. Now performing elsewhere.
tube line from Bounds Green enters a cutting and passes beneath a footway
Green Brook flows under it in a culvert until the junction with Bounds Green
Community Park - set up as a community trust
Great Northern Railway tunnel, 704 yards
road round the trading estate appears to follow the line of the light mineral
Brick works site. Opened 1928 when ‘Clay pits with tile
kilns and potteries were established by 1862 by Charles Paul Millard, 'brick
and tile maker'. By 1903 the Bounds Green Pottery was owned by Charles
Pickering and specialised in glazed bricks and tiles. The site was sold in 1926..
Some of the original buildings remain and the levels of the workings can still
brick works site was sold to the Wood Green District Scouts and in 1928 renamed
Scout Park, which it remains today. The
park is now a centre for scouting and other youth activities.
Southgate Gas Works. In 1858 the Southgate and Colney
Hatch Gas Light and Coke Company was set up with a gas works beside the railway
immediately to the south of New Southgate Station. In 1866 it was re-incorporated as the
Colney Hatch Gas Company, and in 1904 became the Southgate and District Gas
Company. It was taken over in 1938 by the Tottenham and District Gas Company
and nationalised in 1948.The works closed in 1972 with holders remaining on
site. In particular one holder remained, built in 1912 and decommissioned in
tube line leaves Bounds Green and, after an initial short fall, the line rises until
it reaches the tunnel beneath Tewkesbury Terrace. Here it is 48ft higher than when
it started at Finsbury Park. When the line was built rings were installed at
the outer-end on the southbound tunnel to reduce the air pressure as trains
entered at speed.
London Place Names
and Cherry London North
and Dell. Haringey’s Hidden Streams Revealed.
of Porres School web site
University web site
in London web site
Hospitals of London web site
in London web site
Theatre web site
Park web site