Pymmes Brook flows south and east and is
joined by the Shirebourne from the west
Post to the north Hadley Wood
Post to the east Cockfosters
Development spread out from New Barnet
station after 1850.
New Barnet Station. Opened
in 1850 it now lies Between Hadley
Wood and Oakleigh Park stations on the East Coast Main Line Railway from Kings
Cross, on which it was one of the original stations. It was opened as 'Barnet' in an isolated area
a mile from the town centre and with staggered platforms. It was not until 1875 and the start of the
service from Finsbury Park that the area began to develop. It was enlarged in
1867 and 1876, renamed New Barnet in 1884, and then completely rebuilt in 1896.
The station was refurbished in the late 1980s leaving the original station booking
office on the overbridge between the platforms. This was however burnt down in
a fire caused by a thunderstorm in 1989. It has been refurbished again in 2006.
Signal boxes –
there was a box at the south end 1895-1971, and one at the north end 1895-1924
Barnet North signal box which was the last survivor. This was used as
a temporary panel before King's Cross Power Box took control. It was painted in
cream and white. Closed in 1976.
yard and shed. This was provided when the
station became busier in the 1970s. The shed still stood on the up side in the
Seventies, but has since been demolished to provide a site for the station car
Sidings, once stretched
back towards Oakleigh Park, have gone, and have been redeveloped for housing.
Gas holder for Barnet Gas Works. Built by the Barnet and District Gas and
Water Co. which later became the North
Middlesex Gas Co. It is a moderate sized 1920s gasholder with a distinctive
Cutler's Patent guide frame, using double-helical girders. The
company’s works was on this site.
Builders Arms. Set back from the main road. It
Is a Greene King tied house with a rear garden and live music at weekends.
Salvation Army. Hall built 1886.
Livingstone Primary school. Built 1952-3
by James Cubitt and Partners for Hertfordshire County Council.
Housing Estate on site of Maw’s factory. Maw
had been founded in the City of London in 1807 by George Maw with a surgical
plaster factory. They diversified into
pharmaceuticals and were based in Aldersgate.
The factory here was opened after in 1921 and closed in 1982
5 Constable House. Police station converted
to flats. Built 1907
Anchor Hall. Finchley Boxing Club. Gym and
Cromer Road Primary School. Dates from the
East Barnet Road
Railway Bell. Wetherspoon's pub with railway memorabilia on the walls and trains
Barnet Valley United Services Club
Church. Built 1911 by W. Charles
New Barnet Friends Meeting House.
Built in the 1930s
24 The Village Greek – this was the Lytton
Arms also known as the Wishing Well and later as The
Flats on the site of the Fire Station
Children’s Centre in premises of
Margaret Road Infant School – in one of the oldest school buildings in the area
Victoria Recreation Ground. A Victorian
park with wide open south sloping grassland areas and a formal rose garden
Brethren’s Meeting Room
War memorial, slim, by Newbury Abbott Trent. It has a 109-foot high bronze figure representing
“Victory” and a carving in stone over the western panel which shows the victory
of the “British Lion” over the “German Eagle”. It remembers the 278 men of New
Barnet who gave their lives in the Great War. It was unveiled in 1921 by
32 Formerly East Barnet Valley Local Board Offices. A brick-and-stone
Italianate building built in 1891-2 following an open competition in 1889 won
by Frederick Shenton. Put up for sale in
1988 it was converted in 1996 into a restaurant. The change of uses being
signified by the replacement of the gable clock with a Roman statue. Now flats.
Tudor Sports Ground
Public park with
a golf course, but has other sports facilities and a children's playground
Tudor Park golf course. Nine hole 'pitch and pay'
20-26 Optex House
48/50 New Barnet Community Association. Formed
in the 1970s they leased the former annexe of John Hampden School in 1983 and
run a community base from it.
John Hampden School. This mixed secondary
modern school was burnt down in the early 1960s. Barnet College of Further
Education was later on the site which had formerly been
South Herts College of Further Education
John Hampden School moved here from Victoria
Road in the 1960s as a mixed comprehensive. East Barnet Modern School, later
Grammar School were based in Chestnut Grove from the 1930s. In 1971 both
schools became comprehensive with the Westbrook Crescent site becoming East
Barnet Junior High School and by 1976 were the same school on two sites. In 2010 the school moved
to Chestnut Grove and Westbrook Crescent became the Jewish Community Secondary School.
Michael Robbins, The North London Railway
London Railway Record articles
Friends of the Earth. Gas Works
Sites in London.
Whitelaw, Hertfordshire Churches and other places of
CAMRA Real Beer in London
Field. Place names of London
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Morris. Archives of the Chemical Industry
London Borough of Barnet - Barnet Histories web site
War memorial - a number of local press websites in Barnet describe re-dedication of the memorial
John Hampden School web site