Pymmes Brook continues to flow
south eastwards and is met by Bounds Green Brook from the south west
A suburban area east of New Southgate it is crossed by the North Circular which changes route slightly here. The non-North Circular section of Bowes Road has shops and public facilities including one of Holden's most famous stations on the Piccadilly Line which runs north:south here. The northern part of the area is covered by Arnos Park, with a viaduct on the underground line crossing Pymmes Brook and some remains of the original line of the 17th century New River.
Post to the south Bounds Green
Post to the north Old Southgate
Post to the east Broomfield Park
from an estate called ‘Arnoldes Grave’ in the mid 16th. The Arnold family is noted in documents from
the 1920s the Arnos Grove estate was owned by Lord Inverforth who wanted to
develop it – and the result, Arnos Grove and surrounding roads, emerged from
interactions between Inverforth and the local authority.
park is made up of the remaining bit of grounds of Arnos Grove. It was opened
in 1928 to the public following a deal between the council and the developer.
It was developed lout of 44 acres of woodland and meadow and designed by
Borough surveyor Robert Phillips
River. The original course of the conduit ran through the area of the park. There
is now no trace of it except for a line of shrubs and trees half way up the
slope between Pymmes Brook and the northern boundary of the park. This indicates
the position of the old loop of the river. Nearby to the trees is a clump of
trees with a ditch running through them.
The river must have crossed Pymmes Brook somewhere near the Piccadilly
– the Piccadilly Line crosses the park and Pymmes Brook on a 348 yard curving
brick viaduct made up of thirty-five arches.
was the name of a small village in this area.
of Bowes Road in this section is the North Circular Road
Arms half-timbered with its frontage angled across a corner. Now a Harvester,
reviews aren’t encouraging.
Primary School. Built by Edmonton School Board in 1901 It is a three-decker school
on a small site. Has a pretty cupola
and pool complex. .c Built for Middlesex County Council by Cunis & Burchett
in 1939 but refurbished. A stylish brick group complementing Arnos Grove
Station just down the road. The complex
includes a caretaker's flat and there is also a slightly later clinic.
Pool. There is a single single-storey block for changing rooms with circular
port-hole window. The pool is lit through a range of windows alternating with
ventilators. Inside is an oval roof light with plaster modelling to represent
waves. Rolled steel joists support the roof.
Library. The first-floor library is reached via a curved concrete stair, lit by
a slender bowed oriel window. A Tower at the east end has double metal doors
and a single semi-circular metal window. There is one free-standing brick pier
with a ball support.
Lady of Lourdes. Roman Catholic Church built in 1935 by J. A. Crush. A basilica
in red brick.
Grove Station. Opened 1932 it lies between Southgate and Bounds Green Stations on
the Piccadilly Line. It was built for the Piccadilly Line & London Electric
Railway. The station was a Charles Holden design and it was his personal
favourite among all the stations he worked on. It has a circular brick ticket
hall and its 'passimeter' booking office, constructed around a pillar, which
supported a concrete roof made of Portland stone aggregate. There is a round tower with an angular
street frontage built from brindled Staffordshire bricks matching the parapets
of the bridge. Access to the trains was over a reinforced concrete bridge, with
the Station Masters’ office at one end. The platform canopies, designed by
Stanley Heaps, were made from steel encased in concrete and partially glazed.
There are endless articles and books raving about the station design.
signal box was located south of the platforms, on the west side of the line and
adjoined the sub-station. It was equipped with a Westinghouse frame.
first phase of a twenty- year redevelopment scheme by Southgate Council in
1956, within ten years the Council had been abolished. Between dense Edwardian terraces and the
railway line was built maisonettes, and two thirteen-storey point blocks by
David du R. Aberdeen in 1958-60.
Lady of Lourdes Primary School, built in 1972 on the land owned by the Church
brick gate piers R. Phillips, Borough Surveyor whose name is on a plaque on the
Piccadilly line coming from Bounds Green arrives at a section of viaduct. It
then crosses the North Circular Road on a bridge made up of three skew spans.
Having crossed the road, the viaduct continued northwards, initially over eight
School. Built by Middlesex County Council as a senior elementary school for 800
pupils in 1938 when it was called
Arnos School. It has been said it is school board architecture ‘at its most
austere’. It later became a secondary
modern school with extensions made to the original site in 1948, 1957, 1964
& 1966. In 1967 it became a comprehensive school. In 1984 it merged with Minchenden
School and was renamed Broomfield School.
Walford. Highgate to the Lea
Field. Place Names of London
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Essex Lopresti. Walking the New
Nairn. Modern Buildings
Day London Underground
Piccadilly Line. Capital
Southgate Green web site
Londongardensonline web site
British Listed Buildings web site
Bowes Primary School web site
London Railway Record
London Borough of Barnet web site
Our Lady of Lourdes web site
Our Lady of Lourdes School web
Broomfield School web site