Post to the South Salmons Brook Windmill Hill
Post to the west Hog Hill
Post to the north Turkey Brook Chase Farm
Bycullah House. Named after an area of Bombay the house and estate were sold for building land for an up market estate with the entrance to the south in Windmill Hill. Steeple chasing took place here on a course between here and Windmill Hill.1860s and 1870s. Very popular.
Chase Green Avenue
Built by the owner and developer of the Chase Green Estate
Reservoir of Enfield UDC Waterworks. Pumping station and reservoir from the 1870s. Water tower in 1885. In 1904 sold to the Metropolitan Water Board and since demolished. Only the reservoir remains.
185 Our Lady of Walsingham and the English Martyrs. This is on the site of St Joseph's Home which was opened by the Westminster Diocesan Children’s Society 1890. In 1964 the parish of Our Lady of Walsingham was established there until the home closed in 1980 the new church was built in 1987, The Syro-Malabar Church also uses the building.
Holtwhites Sports and Social Club was originally a railway club owned by London North East Railway which later becoming Great Northern Athletic Association and then British Rail Sports Association. In the Second World War the main pavilion was used as war offices until 1948. In the war twenty foot square wheeled chicken coops were kept on the cricket field and moved around. Until 1952 the club was four clerical railway staff and their families only but later drivers and porters were admitted. However it was heavily subsidised by the railway and no outsiders were allowed to join the club after 1965. British Rail eventually withdrew financial support in 1994 and the club was renamed Holtwhites Sports and Social Club. In 1997 the land was bought by developer Fairview who agreed to re-site the sports facilities while they built on the land. They did restore the bowling green but not to proper standards
Gordon Hill Station. Built in 1910 it now lies between Enfield Chase and Crews Hill Stations on the Hertford Loop Line, of the Great Northern Railway. It is built in a wide cutting spanned at the north end by a five arch road bridge. When built in 1910, it was a substantial red brick station with a full canopy and bays on either side. The up platform buildings remain, with red lampposts and seating and there is a waiting shelter by the base of the footbridge. Only three platforms are now in use.Hertford-bound trains use platform 3, London-bound trains use platform 2; and platform 1 is a terminus. This fourth platform was used by North London Railway services to/from Broad Street and became heavily overgrown and lost its track
Signal box. This closed in 1976, and was subsequently demolished. It was at the London end of the up platform
Great Northern Railway sports ground was opened at the south of the station. This was sold and built on by Fairview Homes.
Once called Potters Bar Road
Buildings of Chase Farm School. These are now part of Chase Farm Hospital which is included in the site to the north. What remains by the roadside in this square is the Lodge House was once the Receiving Ward for the children being admitted to the Schools, The former Probationary Ward Block, which is now the Postgraduate Medical Centre.
76 Ridgeway House pub. The original pub still stands behind a new front used as a restaurant.
71 Enfield Lawn Tennis Club. Established 1907
Bycullah Estate water works. The cul de sac end is the site of the Bycullah Estate water works. Set up in 1879 and closed in the 1920s when it became part of the Met. Water Board
Uplands Park Road
Cavell Hospital. Private fee paying hospital.
Clunn. The Face of London
Dalling. The Enfield Book
Enfield Lawn Tennis Club.web site
Field. London Place Names,
History of Middlesex
Holtwhite’s Sports and Social Club Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
London Railway Record
Our Lady of Walsingham and English Martyrs. Web site
Pam. A Desirable Neighbourhood
Pam. A Parish Near London
Pam. A Victorian Suburb
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Walford. Village London