Friday, 20 January 2017
M25 Clacket Lane
Post to the east Westerham Croydon Road
Post to the west Titsey Eden Source
Westwood Pumping Station. This was built by the Limpsfield and Oxted Water Co. and is now run by the Sutton and East Surrey Water Co. It was taken over by the Chelsam and Waldingham Waterworks Company Ltd, becoming the East Surrey, in 1930. It has a greensand water source and on site is treatment works. There were three bore holes here.
Waterworks Cottages. Housing originally associated with the waterworks
Playing field. This was immediately south of the waterworks
Westerham Road Industrial Estate. Industrial and trading area. This may be on the site of the playing fields.
Moorhouse Tile Works. Originally the Moorhouse Brick, Tile and Concrete Products Company Ltd with a concrete roofing tile work, it was taken over by Redland in 1948. The company later became Lafarge and then Braas Monier Building Group. This was a large works which included internal tram systems, settling ponds and overhead conveyors’. There are now plans for a distribution depot here. Neolithic implements have been found on site
Westwood Farmhouse, Late 18th building in brown brick
Westwood Farm cottages.
Tip. In the 1980s this was opposite the cottages on the other side of the road
Clacket Green. This is road side waste land.
Cupid’s Coppice. Woodland designated as of conservation importance
Clacket Wood. Woodland designated as of conservation importance
Church Wood. Woodland, to which is attached a legend of a church which was begun but each days building was demolished overnight
Church Field. In the field are a Romano-Celtic temple and an adjacent 65m stretch of the main Roman London to Lewes road. They are both buried and only visible as parch marks in dry weather. . Investigations of 1879 and 1935 show the temple as a small square building, of which the flint footings survive. The road runs to the east and had a flint and gravel metalled surface.
Square Wood, Woodland
Wet Wood. Woodland
Titsey Wood. Site of Special Scientific Interest and apparently famous in the fox hunting classes
Clacket Lane service stations. There are two motorway services one on each side of the M25 which are operated by Roadchef. The site was chosen from around five possibles on this section of the M25 although Chevening was originally preferred. The site was chosen in 1976, but it took almost 20 years to be finally confirmed. Roman artefacts were found during construction. At one time the westbound was thought to be the largest services in the country – and the most expensive. The filling stations were originally run by Elf then Total, to Shell and now BP.
Bourne Society. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Historic England. Web site
Motorway Services On line. Web site
Sutton and East Surrey Water Co Web site
Tandridge Local Council. Web site
Posted by M at 09:45